Triumph Bobber Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I once made contact with Thornton Hundred regarding a paint job. He basically said he wasn't interested unless it was a part of a complete refurbishment. Eventually he simply didn't answer. Very full of himself, staggeringly expensive and overrated as a builder.

When you look at the bikes he builds and the celebrities who commission him, with an approach of money no object, you soon get the idea that these are bikes which will have more pose value than serious use. As for any type of Bobber with a dual seat just goes to show how little he understands the concept.

·
Banned
1,209 Posts
I once made contact with Thornton Hundred regarding a paint job. He basically said he wasn't interested unless it was a part of a complete refurbishment. Eventually he simply didn't answer. Very full of himself, staggeringly expensive and overrated as a builder.

When you look at the bikes he builds and the celebrities who commission him, with an approach of money no object, you soon get the idea that these are bikes which will have more pose value than serious use. As for any type of Bobber with a dual seat just goes to show how little he understands the concept.
dont like anything about the guy whatsoever, full of himself

·
Registered
375 Posts
no. I think it's ugly
My sentiments exactly! If you wanted a Triumph two-up bike, buy a Speedmaster then modify it to your taste. At least then you would have a good-looking Triumph.
Although the tires look massive, I'm wondering if you would have excessive road noise coming from them?
It is usually the case that these builders have egos that tie directly to the cost of their products.
To some, it's their thing, but for me, not so much.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Does the hat with a feather in it come free or do you have to pay extra for that? I have looked at the stuff they have on their web site (when it worked, looks like they haven't paid the bill currently) and prices seem to be out of my budget. There is no accounting for taste but that's not to mine.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If Triumph had produced this as the finished article and then Thornton had modified it to look like the actual Bobber I'd be saying 'wow, way to improve a bike. Basically, if they'd done nothing they would have improved it - if that makes sense 🤔

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looks like it's been removed from ebay. Could've went after them for copyright
Just reading through some posts on here and came across this.
There's a bit of a story behind the light bar you shown, it's made by us, November Customs and wasn't copied from Thornton's one, his is bloody awesome in design but expensive with it, rightly so.
The first one we made was actually down to Thornton hundred recommending us to someone to make a rear light bracket for them. This guy got in touch with Jodie but when he realised that the first batch of, 49 I think, of light brackets had already been sold this guy didn't want to wait and asked if he knew anyone else that could help.
A few years ago at the bike shed show in Shoreditch we had a bike on display right next to Jodie, wasn't a triumph but a cafe racer virago he'd made, I think that's where he's probably remembered us from.
So this guy got in touch and we made him not only the light bracket but also short front and rear mudguards with matching kellermanns front and rear also.
We were all tooled up to make vast quantities of the light bracket expecting loads of orders to come but it didn't happen. That last one on eBay got sold to a bidder in America and never paid or got in touch, couldn't be bothered to list again so now only make them if people get in touch.
November Customs

·
Registered
375 Posts
November,
Your story is one of many I hear over the years of being into motorcycles. It sucks that a handshake no longer means anything (if you know what I mean) Kind of reminds me of a friend of mine. Different circumstances, but just brought to mind.
I worked in a powder coating shop from 1996-2014 off and on. I did the custom stuff. That's where I met my mechanic who also became a friend. He was a machinist by trade who broke his back at the Naval shipyard here. He started doing other people's motorcycles out of his garage. For one of my birthdays, he gave me this machined bit of aluminum. I asked him what it was and he said it was to go into the end of your handlebar and hold a small mirror. When I asked why he hadn't tried to get a fabricator to do mass quantities he said he sent a few out to get an opinion on them, one to Indian Larry, one to Paul Yaffe, and a few more to others. Yaffe wrote him saying he should keep working on it and that he might be interested. He never patented it and the next few years or so, Yaffe had it in his catalog. Yes, it was a little different design, but the first bar end mirror mount was created by my mechanic. If I looked hard enough I may still have the one he gave me so many years ago. I lost all respect for a lot of people that year. I just think it is pretty s****y to do that to people!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry, re reading my post it seems like I was saying thornton copied our design which he didn't, the point I was trying to make was we didn't copy him.
Thornton had recommend us to some one who was wanting a light bracket making as this guy didn't want to wait or pay for a Thornton light bracket so by them, I meant the customer and not Thornton hundred. We made ours October last year which was the same time as his so he didn't copy from us and we didn't copy from him....just want to make that clear thats all.
That's really bad news about your friend, you do hear about things like that happening sadly.

·
Premium Member
3,407 Posts
Now you know me chaps, I'm all about modifications...

..BUT....(it's been said earlier), the Bobber is s 'single seat' bike. Trust me, I've thought about it (my wife's occasional winging) but adding a pillion to a Triumph Bobber is just not cricket. The Speedmaster is a really great bike, so if you want a pillion get a Speedy.

Single seat...SINGLE SEAT...any seat you want but a single seat..! Can I say that any louder... :eek:

Cheerio,
Roy

Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
247 Posts
Kudos to the ones who imagine and create new things to make their ride different, if others copy you obviously that's a compliment, I realize the after market is there for people who can't or don't want to create stuff (like myself to a point) but it's Awesome to see new ideas and things that nobody has thought about or been able to do good and bad, great to see new takes on a theme and push boundaries,and sometimes its also nice to see the richest kids on the block don't always have the coolest rides.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts