Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i can't seem to find it so... has anyone put together a youTube video on how to change out the stock intake manifold to air intake canisters/filters?

if there isn't one, would one of you guys be willing to make one? or maybe step-by-step directions with pics and post it herein. i know of other guys that would also appreciate it!

i'm wanting to make this mod as my winter project, but i'm not much of a mech, however i can follow directions :)

thanks!

Todd

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is an incredibly easy mod.
Remove the faux intake covers around the throttle body. Remove clamps on rubber hose. Airbox comes out with 3 bolts - 2 under seat and rear one on swing arm. Remove wiring harnesses and air sensor from boxes. You wiggle the airbox out and you're done. On the left you you'll need to reconnect the airflow sensor
Zip tie air sensor behind the throttle body. Install crakecase breather filter. Use existing s shaped rubber tube. Install air filters. If you want to orient them vertically you will need to trim the plastic bracket behind them.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks Ron!

i may call on you if i get stuck

did you have to "re-map" it, so it doesn't burn too lean?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I did not remap my bike. No issues noted after mods. Recently installed an Xpipe but haven't put any miles on it since so I'm going to wait and see how it runs before I decide on a map change

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just as a point of reference, my Triumph dealer removed/replaced my x-pipe with cat free and they said they did not re-map it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Remap???

It seems like the consensus on the forum is that you don't need to remap until you make three changes to the air flow/exhaust system. You can get by with any two of the following-- high(er) flow muffle/pipe, x-pipe (cat delete), air intake mod--but once you do all three you've probably gone beyond the bike's ability to adjust its mapping.

This is what I've read. I cannot personally verify this and I don't think anyone has made these mods, hooked up a computer to the bike and put in on a dyno to provide real data on this. However, the thinking here does come from these type of modifications with other bikes and cars.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
with the x-pipe cat free, right now i'm at 1. i'm not planning to mount a free-flowing muffler. so once i replace the air intakes with air filter pods that'l keep me at 2.

i don't like the looks of the "big tin cans" aka slip-ons for the exhaust mufflers, and if i don't like the looks of what's underneath the slip-ons then i'm looking at replacing the mufflers with standard bonneville mufflers (not less restrictive). maybe this weekend i'll pull off the slip-ons, if i can figure out how....

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have the x-pipe and the air box removed and it’s definitely affecting the ride. I need a tune or something without a doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have the x-pipe and the air box removed and it?s definitely affecting the ride. I need a tune or something without a doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the air box is the one change that affects it the most. I have the x pipe and new pipes and the bike runs great. Finding a place to map is the challenge. Especially in California. There obviously around. Just need to dig a little.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts