Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Has anyone covered or sprayed their front light yellow on the Bobber as yet? I’ve seen plenty of other old school look bikes that have and when done right I think it can look really good. I can’t help but think it would look great on my matte Bobber Black.

What’s your collective thoughts?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hi Mike - I had the same idea! Tried the stick on cling film type stuff - highly frustrating to use - kept wrinkling so I gave up. You can get a spray on paint - see other threads. Also one can purchase H4 amber bulbs. i'm considering a Free Spirits amber auxiliary front lamp.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mike - I had the same idea! Tried the stick on cling film type stuff - highly frustrating to use - kept wrinkling so I gave up. You can get a spray on paint - see other threads. Also one can purchase H4 amber bulbs. i'm considering a Free Spirits amber auxiliary front lamp.
I knew I wouldn’t be the only one out there considering it :wink2:

I’m struggling to find any pics of the Bobber, (pref the Matte Black) with the yellow lamp. I think I’ll just give it a go... easy enough to revert back to standard if i find I don’t like it.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
I knew I wouldn’t be the only one out there considering it :wink2:

I’m struggling to find any pics of the Bobber, (pref the Matte Black) with the yellow lamp. I think I’ll just give it a go... easy enough to revert back to standard if i find I don’t like it.
Matte black with the yellow headlight sounds badass! Can't wait to see it!

·
Registered
459 Posts
:laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike, you should consider that what you're proposing will reduce the light's efficiency.

Chico
I don’t really ride at night but from what I’ve read so long as you don’t go for a dark tint the reduction in efficiency is negligible.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I did what you consider to do. Cannot track back where I got this paint, Japanese origin. I bought it online from the US and it was shipped to me without any problems. Simple to use, simply spray on layers until you feel you have the right tint. Living in Norway with the seasons light nights I have no worry about reduced lighting.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
I was going to paint my headlamp reflector (the chromed plastic bit) using a paint made by Tamiya for colouring plastic chrome.
I bought the transparent yellow paint and got my airbrush out only to find that I could not separate the glass lens from the headlight. I contacted Triumph who told me the headlamp was a sealed unit and wouldn’t come apart easily.
I thought about then painting the headlamp lens (the glass) using the same yellow transparent paint but thought it would end up getting scratched by debris and would look rubbish after a while.
So, I bought a yellow H4 halogen bulb. It is really effective as a light and looks good when the light is on.
But I wanted the chrome reflector yellow so that it looked yellow with the bike parked and with the lights off.
So I’ve got a compromise. Yellow light beam with the bike running. But some day I’ll get another spare headlamp and take it apart and paint the chrome reflector yellow!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Getor
This looks good. It looks an even paint with no streaking. Is it likely to chip when stones hit it? Nice job. But what headlamp is that? It isn’t the one that came with the bike! Is the glass painted on the inside or outside of the glass?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks. I am very happy with it. No streaking, spayed over 4 times with careful coating. It is a special paint so I expect that it is durable. Not tested that and hope I never will. The headlamp is a Lucas Headlamp Black E11 approved - 7" (BR28UK) = 84.66 € from British Racer: British Racer, Custom and Performance parts - Triumph motorcycles - British Racer - Harley-Davidson - W&W Cycles, world wide web, performance, accessories, motorraeder, motorrad, tuning, vintage, racing, thruxton, bonneville, scrambler, bobber, moto .
It is painted from the outside.
By the way, I found I bough it from Dime City Cycles: https://www.dimecitycycles.com

·
Registered
459 Posts
nice picture,Jock

Reactions: jock_rocket
1 - 20 of 27 Posts