Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So whats the deal with the x pipe install?
Does only removing the cat converter give a better exhaust sound,or do you also need to fit aftermarket pipes,airbox out and remap?
And how does it effect Triumphs warranty?
Questions,questions,questions!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Can only speak for myself but when I first removed the Cat it was a bit louder with stock exhaust but definitely more lively and responsive. My dealer actually recommended doing the xpipe when I purchased it and also said it would not void any warranties. I rode it for about 2 months with stock pipes and really enjoyed it and when everyone started to discount the British custom drag pipes for Christmas I bought then for $277. Its a really good deep sound and the perfect amount of loudness.

No remapping was required for what I installed, as far as the airbox and other things I don't have any experience so I'll let others comment on that

·
Registered
116 Posts
I got my X pipe and need to install it. Can this be done with just a rear paddock stand? I am not sure what I need to secure the bike to work on it. This is my first time I am working on a bike. I have done a lot of my own wrenching on classics cars..

Please help. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I got my X pipe and need to install it. Can this be done with just a rear paddock stand? I am not sure what I need to secure the bike to work on it. This is my first time I am working on a bike. I have done a lot of my own wrenching on classics cars..

Please help. Thanks in advance.
Hi Tall Tree,

Checkout YouTube there are loads of x-pipe instal videos on there, some good, some not so good, but watch a few and you should get a good idea of what you need to do. :nerd:

·
Registered
518 Posts
I am curious as to what most people base “remap was not required” on after they delete the cat and add free flowing exhaust.

Have most checked this out with analysis to see what the air fuel mixture was? Just riding it without performance issues doesn’t mean that it is not lean because of the changes.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had the V & H remap done. Apparently according to the dealer that was all that was necessary as the ECU does have adaptive features.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I had the V & H remap done. Apparently according to the dealer that was all that was necessary as the ECU does have adaptive features.
Yeah. That’s my point. There is a map for exhaust changes. My dealer did that as well. If a more free flow system didn’t need changes, why would the map exist?

Changes to air flow, cat, and exhaust may have the bike running leaner than some may think. I don’t know or claim to know this for fact. It is just something that would concern me if I made these changes without addressing the air/fuel mixture.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am surprised that just slip ones require remapping. Does not seem like a significant change. If so, any dealer map would be epa lean anyway. Best bet right now is PCV with no cat. I would assume the cat restricts more flow than the mufflers.

·
Vendor
522 Posts
I am surprised that just slip ones require remapping. Does not seem like a significant change. If so, any dealer map would be epa lean anyway. Best bet right now is PCV with no cat. I would assume the cat restricts more flow than the mufflers.
Slipons and even
The cat delete
Do not require a tune / remap

·
Registered
678 Posts
We should really have a survey of "What our dealer told us".

I have V+H pipes. Told No remap required and there is no remap for V&H! And yet DOCGSS tells us that he had a remap done!

I was told that fitting the decat voids my warranty and is beyond the scope of the ECU to remap!

For years I have been told so much BS from dealers about cars bikes etc. They tell us what they think we want to hear or what they can be bothered to do/earn cash from.

I had a flooded fuse box on a car once, everything was switched on. I Took it to the dealer. He told me I needed an electronic fuse box @ £400. I left it with them for a few days but I needed the car. I took it back home. I could see some cr*p in the fuse box so I blew it out with the airline and squirted it with WD40, with the hope that it would last while I used the car for the weekend and then back to the dealer. It seemed fine so I never went back. It did 42,000 miles afterwards before I sold it.

Sorry to sound cynical but the reports just don't add up!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts