Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just figured I’d check to see if anyone has a black statement seat they’re interested in selling, or know of a dealer that will sell at a discount. I am looking to get one, but currently they are $335 new. Not quite willing to pay that... Cheers.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can always buy a brown one and dye it. Brown to black is an easy leather dye.
Same price I think, though if I find a brown one used that might be an idea. But I wonder how easy would be to die these.... It seems afairly impermeable leather. But I’ve never done that sort of work.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Same price I think, though if I find a brown one used that might be an idea. But I wonder how easy would be to die these.... It seems afairly impermeable leather. But I’ve never done that sort of work.
It’s probably pretty easy but, I really wonder how you could duplicate the slightly vintage gray tones that are in the black Statement seat. To me, that is part of its appeal.

BTW, IMO, the Statement seat is far and away the best looking option
Triumph makes. I had the brown one for about a year and a half. I reluctantly gave up on it, not because of comfort (although admittedly, it doesn’t have much) but, I found the support lacking and one rougher roads, potholes, etc. I was holding on to the bars and tank too much. So, I recovered the OEM in a leather tuck and roll that, in appearance, is very close to the vintage distressed look of the black Statement seat. Very satisfied.

Anyway, good luck on your search.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Yes, I was thinking that maybe you could find a used brown one and dye it black. Any shoe store could dye it . . . if there are shoe stores anymore.

I have a brown statement seat. It is as hard as a rock. I'm not using it right now but I haven't decided to give it up yet. :|

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It’s probably pretty easy but, I really wonder how you could duplicate the slightly vintage gray tones that are in the black Statement seat. To me, that is part of its appeal.

BTW, IMO, the Statement seat is far and away the best looking option
Triumph makes. I had the brown one for about a year and a half. I reluctantly gave up on it, not because of comfort (although admittedly, it doesn’t have much) but, I found the support lacking and one rougher roads, potholes, etc. I was holding on to the bars and tank too much. So, I recovered the OEM in a leather tuck and roll that, in appearance, is very close to the vintage distressed look of the black Statement seat. Very satisfied.

Anyway, good luck on your search.
?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I was thinking that maybe you could find a used brown one and dye it black. Any shoe store could dye it . . . if there are shoe stores anymore.

I have a brown statement seat. It is as hard as a rock. I'm not using it right now but I haven't decided to give it up yet.
Thanks, keep me posted on whether you decide to sell yours...

·
Registered
228 Posts
I can sell you a new, unused, stock seat which can easily be covered and gel layered at any upholstery shop. Personally I’m using a gel layered Mother Road vintage seat and I love it both look and feel. I having a custom battery cover made to match in leather with leather strap and buckle. I may also make custom leather fender tips but still thinking it over.

Attachments

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can sell you a new, unused, stock seat which can easily be covered and gel layered at any upholstery shop. Personally I’m using a gel layered Mother Road vintage seat and I love it both look and feel. I having a custom battery cover made to match in leather with leather strap and buckle. I may also make custom leather fender tips but still thinking it over.

Appreciate the offer but I'll pass. The statement seat is a bit more narrow and differently shaped than stock, which is what I like about it.

Cool like though!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I realized that I have a brand new, unwrapped, Brown Stayement seat in the box. I decided to go with the Mother Road seat and forgot I had this one sitting here. If you’re interested, I’ll sell it for $350 plus shipping cost. Let me know

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I realized that I have a brand new, unwrapped, Brown Stayement seat in the box. I decided to go with the Mother Road seat and forgot I had this one sitting here. If you’re interested, I’ll sell it for $350 plus shipping cost. Let me know
Thanks, but that’s more than new! In any case, after talking to a couple of leather people I’ve decided that dying is not the way to go — apparently it’s quite difficult to redye finished leather without having not rub off a lot. I’ll just keep looking for a black seat, or else bite the bullet and buy new.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Ha ha, my mistake!! I’m in Canada so I didn’t say $350 Canadian!! That’s US$260. Anyways, if anyone wants it, I’ve got it never touched, ready to send!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts