Triumph Bobber Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
I test rode both the Bobber and Bobber Black. I can see why Triumph introduced the BB - it has a definite presence though personally I prefer the look of the Bobber. The original is more in keeping with the minimalistic look in my eyes.

Having ridden both I can't say that I found the brakes on the BB that much better than the Bobber. To be sure if yanked really hard they had more stopping power but nowhere near as much more as I'd have expected. I'm happy with the Bobber's single disc and have reverted back to my usual two finger braking habit once I realised the brakes were better than people seem to suggest. Having said that I am not a fast rider so I'm not piling into corners flat out and then trying to slow down at the last minute.

The thing I did find with the BB was that it was much more prone to be unsettled by poor road surfaces. For example, on overtakes crossing the white lines / cats eyes / joins in the surface - the bike had a noticeable twitch. Only brief and it settled down immediately, but the Bobber doesn't do it. Either it's that heavier front wheel/tyre or the bike I was riding had dodgy tyre pressures? I've not heard others complain so it might just have been the set up on the bike I was riding.

I also found I needed to muscle it into corners more. Once turned in it stuck there fine, but the Bobber rides more intuitively in my experience - on the windy lanes around N Wales it just flows whereas I felt I was having to steer the BB into the bends.

At the end of the day I am a bit of a magpie so a shiny red and silver tank was the thing that sealed the deal.
Interesting, my take on the Speedmaster is it's on of the most planted bikes I've ever ridden. My front tyre has a slow leak of some sort (.1 bar in a couple of days, and when it's down below 2bar it's a bit squirrely. The worst bike for having the tyres wrong on was the Guzzi V7, unless you had them about 5-10% over, the bike was quite worrying....

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had the option and could not make my mind up about getting the Bobber, Bobber Black, or the Speedmaster. From riding the Thunderbird the Speedmaster was like a smaller version of the same thing. The Bobber kept catching my eye, especially the floating seat. The Bobber Black probably has better brakes, even though I think the Bobber brakes are great! The Bobber has a better feel than the Thunderbird even though the Thunderbird has dual discs it is such a heavy bike to stop. I don't care for the Bobber Black fat tire or that it is all blacked out. For me, I would like it all black with chrome pipes and engine covers. I like the LED headlight and will put one on my Bobber and cruise control sounds great but I don't think it is a must for me. I am so pleased with my Bobber from how it looks to how it rides! This is the best bike I have ever ridden! So smooth and quick when I want it to be.

·
Registered
82 Posts
As far as the cruise control....I couldn’t agree with you less. I never realized how much I would absolutely love this feature until I added it. It is one of the best things I have done to my bike. Even if I use it for just brief periods, it’s nice to take my right hand off of the bars on long runs.
Absolutely agree on that. Of course don't use it on curvy country roads when I'm having fun, but going through towns it's just nice to be able to take the right hand off and relax it for a few moments. Or going at constant speed on a highway is much less straining if you don't have to keep the throttle grip in a constant position.

When I went for the BB, it was a prompt decision. From pictures, I was looking at the regular Bobber in Morello Red first but after I saw the Bobber Black in matte, I fell for it. Maybe because I've never had a black bike, nor a matte vehicle. And maybe because I had hated the single front disc on my Honda Shadow. The cruise control was a nice detail only - never thought I would use and like it as much as I do now.

Tom

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you had bad carpal tunnel like I do I can see cruise control which I'm thinking about putting on, but I will never get rid of my bike...............

·
Registered
600 Posts
Interesting, my take on the Speedmaster is it's on of the most planted bikes I've ever ridden. My front tyre has a slow leak of some sort (.1 bar in a couple of days, and when it's down below 2bar it's a bit squirrely. The worst bike for having the tyres wrong on was the Guzzi V7, unless you had them about 5-10% over, the bike was quite worrying....
I haven’t ridden the Speedmaster but I have ridden the Bobber Black and IMHO the BB does handle better than the Bobber that with it’s narrow 19” front wheel is very sensitive to tyre pressure and often tracks on bad roads. But that’s not a deal breaker for me it’s a bit like the brakes yes they’re a bit better on the BB but I’m still more than happy with the original and it looks way cooler :grin2:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Of the over 2,800 miles I put on my BB on my recent outing to Texas , It had the cruise set for over 2,000 miles. It was awesome , and it was truly the first time I have road tripped in my 20 years of street riding where my hands didn't hurt. I have a feeling that those that are critical of it (regardless of which Bobber you prefer) would find themselves both using it , and enjoying the ride with it , more than they would admit.

But then , my opinion and 5 bones would only get you a small coffee at Starbucks , so take that FWIW. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you had bad carpal tunnel like I do I can see cruise control which I'm thinking about putting on, but I will never get rid of my bike...............
This! I had a really hard time on longer ride at highway speed. Not an issue anymore.

But I added the cruise on the regular Bobber. For me, the BB is too black and the 2 disc on the small front wheel hides the spokes too much!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Of the over 2,800 miles I put on my BB on my recent outing to Texas , It had the cruise set for over 2,000 miles. It was awesome , and it was truly the first time I have road tripped in my 20 years of street riding where my hands didn't hurt. I have a feeling that those that are critical of it (regardless of which Bobber you prefer) would find themselves both using it , and enjoying the ride with it , more than they would admit.

But then , my opinion and 5 bones would only get you a small coffee at Starbucks , so take that FWIW. :)
BTW , that trip was 90% backroads , not boring interstate. CC was still king. :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I haven’t ridden the Speedmaster but I have ridden the Bobber Black and IMHO the BB does handle better than the Bobber that with it’s narrow 19” front wheel is very sensitive to tyre pressure and often tracks on bad roads. But that’s not a deal breaker for me it’s a bit like the brakes yes they’re a bit better on the BB but I’m still more than happy with the original and it looks way cooler :grin2:
Interesting, my experience was the other way round. I found the BB tracked on poor road surfaces whilst the Bobber doesn't seem to notice them. Maybe it was tyre pressures on the day, or maybe it's to do with the rider's weight/build/height?

The guys at the dealership said they couldn't tell much difference between them.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Interesting, my experience was the other way round. I found the BB tracked on poor road surfaces whilst the Bobber doesn't seem to notice them. Maybe it was tyre pressures on the day, or maybe it's to do with the rider's weight/build/height?
I'm sure tyre pressure, weight, and riding experience all effect a person's impression of a bike's handling. I also regularly ride a Speed Triple and while it's no way in the same ball park I found the BB handling was closer to that than the original Bobber, which is probably why I preferred it. But if you're coming from an adventure bike with a large front wheel you might think the opposite, and it wasn't like the BB handled like a Penigale and the Bobber like a Breakout, in the end the BB was only a little bit better and you'd probably only notice riding them back to back. :wink2:

·
Registered
600 Posts
As for the cruise control debate, it's not something I've ever had on a bike, and it's not something that would be high on my wish list for the Bobber BUT if Triumph is giving it away free why wouldn't you want it?

Just be thankful the Bobber isn't made by BMW they even charge extra for traction control and LED indicators!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
CC or not, (I chose “not”), I like (love?) my original. And apparently so do so many others who see it on the street. Bought sight unseen when first introduced. But, I do understand the visceral appeal of the BB.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I have to say mine is rather temperamental too. Sometimes working on one button press sometimes not.

Cheerio,

Roy
Roy, are you sure you're engaging the cc correctly? The first time after engine on it takes two pushes of the button, after that only once until engine has been turned off.
I use mine frequently in order to give my right hand a rest.

Chico

·
Registered
578 Posts
I suppose cruise control on a lump of road thats a fuel tank in a straight line with a speed of 65 will probably work, but even on a UK motorway, there are so many bends and utter idiots that i dont think i sit at a steady speed for more than a few seconds anyway. Maybe if i stuck to 70 and hogged the middle lane it might work but not me.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Roy, are you sure you're engaging the cc correctly? The first time after engine on it takes two pushes of the button, after that only once until engine has been turned off.
I use mine frequently in order to give my right hand a rest.

Chico
Hi Chico,

I think you could be correct old chap. I'm not a manual reader (I know I should be), so perhaps you have hit on something. I will pay more attention on my next ride.

Cheers for that mate.

Roy

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I use my cruise all the time. Love being able to lock in my speed on highways so I can focus on the road and the scenery without worrying about getting pulled over for exceeding the speed limit.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts