Triumph Bobber Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I changed my standard bobber morello red for a black. What motivated my choice is the front of the bike, and especially the brakes. The more aggressive look influenced my choice, but less than the brake. I do not really like the look of single-disc machines, I think a motorcycle, whatever it is, is prettier with two front discs. I decided to change the braking system of my first Bobber for a double disc Freespirit. The cost of the operation was that it was better to switch to bobber black
Finally, the braking, beyond the look and comfort, is a security element. And undeniably, the double disc brings a real improvement

J'ai changé mon bobber standard morello red pour un black. Ce qui a motivé mon choix, c'est l'avant de la moto, et surtout les freins. Le look plus agressif a influencé mon choix, mais moins que le frein. Je n'aime pas trop le look des machines mono disque, je trouve qu'une moto, quelle qu'elle soit, est plus jolie avec deux disques avants. J'avais décidé de modifier le système de freinage de mon premier Bobber pour un double disque spirit. Le coût de l'opération faisait qu'il était préférable de passer au bobber black
Enfin, le freinage, au dela du look et du confort, est un élément de sécurité. Et indéniablement, le double disque apporte une véritable amélioration

·
Registered
30 Posts
Why?

I just cannot understand why Triumph has included a cruise control as standard on the Bobber Black or indeed any future model derivatives of the very successful Bobber line.

The Bobber, for me, is about being a minimalistic bike, that apart from it’s orgasmic looks, is all about raw, explosive acceleration and, against every bodies predictions, has great handling and cornering abilities as an added extra thrown in.

The last thing I can ever imagine doing is clicking it onto ‘cruise’ when there are corners to blast into and out of and every straight gets turned into a drag strip.........for me it is the constant changes of speed, both positive and negative in combination with the varying degrees of lean around bends that make motorcycling so exciting and addictive.

‘Cruise Control’ conjures up images of being stuck on a boring motorway/auto route/ freeway, (delete as necessary to match your country) to me and that’s what big touring bikes or even the ultimate motorcycle accessory, a car, is for.

For me, less is more, but thankfully having choices is what keeps more of us happy and the cash tills ringing for the manufacturers.

Best regards,

Billybobber

·
Registered
415 Posts
I agree with a lot of what you said about what makes the bobber fun to ride and nice to look at.

As far as the cruise control....I couldn’t agree with you less. I never realized how much I would absolutely love this feature until I added it. It is one of the best things I have done to my bike. Even if I use it for just brief periods, it’s nice to take my right hand off of the bars on long runs.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Never ridden a bike (yet) and used cruise control. But having had it on several cars, it's really useful in this crowded island to stop you breaking both permanent and temporary speed restrictions. Looking forward to trying it on the Speedy...

·
Registered
970 Posts
Billybobber#1, perhaps you will appreciate being able to give your right hand a rest when you get older.

Chico

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Chico,

.....I am flattered by your comment.....I will be 63 on my next birthday 😊....

I go out on my Bonneville T120 for longer distance/all day rides/practicle journeys needing more luggage carrying ability, I could see the benefits of fitting cruise control on that, but still cannot see the benefits on my Bobber......I use my Bobber for those cathartic, clear your head of those everyday stresses and frustration rides/blasts........these tend to be a between 50 to 100 miles ......and with the feather weight ride-by-wire throttles on Triumphs these days I never get any problems from a tired wrist...........but if you ever need a wrist work out, get yourself an old Moto Guzzi big capacity V-twin fitted with carbs, you certainly knew you’d been pulling the wire tight on one of those!

But what a difference between two bikes based around the same engine.....as a comparison I would liken the T120 to a nicely grilled steak, nice to look at, tasty and you feel contented and mellow with it.........whereas the Bobber is steak tartare with extra onion and a double strength mustard relish which leaves you buzzing on a high.....and grinning from ear to ear 🤩

Best regards,

Billybobber

·
Registered
129 Posts
Kinda agree with Billy. I've only been out once where it would have come in handy on rides with others.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Have to admit I almost never use the cruise control on my car so I didn’t really consider getting otnthe Bobber. I’ve ridden a lot of long distances on highways with other bikes and never thought i’d rather have CC. Since I use the Bobber for day rides and around town, it never occurred to me to get CC. Heated grips, however, are another thing altogether 😆

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just don't get the idea of cruise control on bikes, sort of defeats the object unless on a pure touring bike.

I've always enjoyed using my right wrist (ooh, err missus) so prefer to modulate the throttle myself - isn't that part of the joy of riding bikes !?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Unfortunately , riding isn't always about kicking back and taking it in , for me anyway. Living outside a large city , I do have to spend hours sometimes on interstates , to get where I can enjoy the right wrist. In those "getting there" circumstances , that little feature is going to be valuable.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I do not like the Black's front wheel at all, yes the brakes seem to be better, but there is a thread somewhere on this forum which says that the brakes are only slightly better than on the original Bobber. Right now I am fine with the brakes but there some aftermarket parts to improve the original Bobbers brakes and I have reason to believe such an improved brake is even better than on the black. Brakes are in issue with Triumph, it seems this is a part where they always try to save money.

I do not need cruise control on the Bobber as it is not used as a long-distance travelling bike it's for commuting into the city everyday and day-trips with my mates on the weekend. Not completely opposed to cruise control on a bike though: I'd love to have that on my Tiger 800, sometimes you have to do considerable miles on motorways in order to get to a nice area

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nope. If I had the original Bobber I wouldn't go for the Bobber Black. I recently bought Bobber Black purely because it appeared to be a "value for money" proposition. I love the looks of both the Bobbers and would have been contented with either of them :)

·
Registered
970 Posts
Hi Chico,

.....I am flattered by your comment.....I will be 63 on my next birthday 😊....

I go out on my Bonneville T120 for longer distance/all day rides/practicle journeys needing more luggage carrying ability, I could see the benefits of fitting cruise control on that, but still cannot see the benefits on my Bobber......I use my Bobber for those cathartic, clear your head of those everyday stresses and frustration rides/blasts........these tend to be a between 50 to 100 miles ......and with the feather weight ride-by-wire throttles on Triumphs these days I never get any problems from a tired wrist...........but if you ever need a wrist work out, get yourself an old Moto Guzzi big capacity V-twin fitted with carbs, you certainly knew you’d been pulling the wire tight on one of those!

But what a difference between two bikes based around the same engine.....as a comparison I would liken the T120 to a nicely grilled steak, nice to look at, tasty and you feel contented and mellow with it.........whereas the Bobber is steak tartare with extra onion and a double strength mustard relish which leaves you buzzing on a high.....and grinning from ear to ear 🤩

Best regards,

Billybobber
When I was your age Billy I wouldn't have appreciated CC either.:grin2:

Chico

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Chico

.....so how many ‘miles’ are on your clock?, you know mines currently 62.....please inspire me 👍

.....my life’s ambition is to be shot by a jealous husband at 94......and then my ashes get spread on my favourite beach in France......great surfing there.........and at one part of the same beach is the nudist area....guess which end I want my ashes to go🤩🤩🤩.....

Best regards,

Billybobber

·
Registered
88 Posts
I test rode both the Bobber and Bobber Black. I can see why Triumph introduced the BB - it has a definite presence though personally I prefer the look of the Bobber. The original is more in keeping with the minimalistic look in my eyes.

Having ridden both I can't say that I found the brakes on the BB that much better than the Bobber. To be sure if yanked really hard they had more stopping power but nowhere near as much more as I'd have expected. I'm happy with the Bobber's single disc and have reverted back to my usual two finger braking habit once I realised the brakes were better than people seem to suggest. Having said that I am not a fast rider so I'm not piling into corners flat out and then trying to slow down at the last minute.

The thing I did find with the BB was that it was much more prone to be unsettled by poor road surfaces. For example, on overtakes crossing the white lines / cats eyes / joins in the surface - the bike had a noticeable twitch. Only brief and it settled down immediately, but the Bobber doesn't do it. Either it's that heavier front wheel/tyre or the bike I was riding had dodgy tyre pressures? I've not heard others complain so it might just have been the set up on the bike I was riding.

I also found I needed to muscle it into corners more. Once turned in it stuck there fine, but the Bobber rides more intuitively in my experience - on the windy lanes around N Wales it just flows whereas I felt I was having to steer the BB into the bends.

At the end of the day I am a bit of a magpie so a shiny red and silver tank was the thing that sealed the deal.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts