Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Thanks Chico!
There's a very important message in there! After such accidents, car drivers will indeed insist that they simply did not "see" the motorcycle; although they were seemingly staring straight at the rider! Simply because they were not "expecting" to see a motorcycle. A lot of it also has to do with concentration, stress, etc. Happened to me a zillion times, I can tell you!

I always advise younger inexperienced riders to ride defensively, and imagine they are indeed invisible; this way, if they reckon with not being seen by anyone, they'll be much more vigilant and aware of people doing weird and unexpected things while driving their cars, and survive another day!

May you all ride safe and live long!
Cheers!
mike

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Yah, common comment; assume you are invisible.

I have also heard that some folks depth perception vs estimating the speed of the motorcycle is also a factor as to why they pull out.

·
Super Moderator
1,148 Posts
There are a lot of 'software issues' in how we see, and that's where SMIDSY comes from. The best solutions IMHO are to look like a cop (hence activating a different part of the software, the threat response), have something flashing (there are issues here for cars you are following though), or change lanes regularly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts