Triumph Bobber Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found a useable wireless plate light. I have side mounted plate but not keen on wiring. I found something on net not sure if it is workable. I am U.K. based so would cost me double inc tax and post.
TIA

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
what part of the wiring don't you like?...that above is seriously naff...come on man you gat a 10k bike it deserves better than that

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what part of the wiring don't you like?...that above is seriously naff...come on man you gat a 10k bike it deserves better than that
My plate fits on axle bolt I would need to run wiring all along swing arm.
I am happy to pay a good amount I have two wired lights but don’t like cable ties and wiring looks to botched.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
My plate fits on axle bolt I would need to run wiring all along swing arm.
I am happy to pay a good amount I have two wired lights but don’t like cable ties and wiring looks to botched.
put it a nice conduit...make the wiring part of the bikes design, its supposed to be a raw looking bike...post a pic of your side mount lets have a look please

·
Registered
341 Posts
The actual numberplate is higher on the mount. The light attaches to top of mount.
View attachment 48778
I've not seen a side plate on the right side before. I recently fitted a chain oiler to my Honda and used 3M double sided adhesive tape to secure the applicator to the bottom of the swing arm. It is seriously strong stuff. Could use use that to attach the wire? It would hold it fine and not be visible.

·
Registered
341 Posts
tons of nice looking cable clips available or run the cable inside the fender support strut (its hollow i think? motorcycle cable clips
Funnily enough I was reading something about the fender support strut a couple of days ago as someone had looked into it and they determined it was solid. I think they'd assumed that due to its weight so it would be interesting to know if it's true.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Yeah I thought it was hollow too!!!!! serious bit of added weight if it is solid.

Anyhow, my slant on the resolve would be to access the wiring under the guard that runs to the rear lights. Drill a couple of holes in the strut to accommodate a length of twin core figure 8 cable without chafing, fed through the holes to the rear light and splice into the harness. You'll need to pick from the black (earth frame) and yellow-blue wire.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
put it a nice conduit...make the wiring part of the bikes design, its supposed to be a raw looking bike...post a pic of your side mount lets have a look please
No need to be so judgmental Diver. The man is thinking outside the box and wants to eliminate running cables. I for one think that's a good thing.
There are threads in this forum that could fill volumes regarding how to hide the "guts" when removing the airboxes. I also recall your conversations about internally wired bars.
Chico

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm in the same boat, I'm looking to avoid the wiring myself to keep the swing arm clean. These are what I've come up with (still waiting on the amazon order to arrive so I can try it out). Going to two way tape the 9v holder to the back of the plate frame, nice and hidden. Just need to remember to switch it on when it gets dark. The 9v might be a bit dimmer but hopefully just enough to not get pulled over.

·
Registered
180 Posts
what you should have done is put the side mount on the other side then run the wire back into the bike following the brake pipe and ABS route - no need to attach anything to the frame and its all but invisible...
looking at the pic you have a Boneyard Garage side mount - if you use their Halo mount - which I actually thinks works better - you can use the original number plate light as well.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I put solar powered lights on a boat, you know the red and green, port and starboard and had neighbors call to say I left my lights on. Finally put a box over them at night

1 - 18 of 18 Posts