Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fitted this today and very happy with it! Harley detachable type ... balances with the rack nicely ..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Well done Alan,

I was on the highway today, cruse control on at around 80 and with my windshield working well, this little Bobber was wonderful. For those long rides, and/or high speed cruising these little Triumphs are much more capable than some folks realize.

Not for the purists? Possibly but for those who want to get some real miles on these bikes and in as much comfort as possible, totally.

Pic is of my Bobber fully loaded 'yesterday', windshield and all on a camping trip.

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
I just did 1,300 miles in 3 days. Including a 400 mile stretch into high wind. My opinion is that a windshield is not necessary. It kills the look and defeats the minimalist thing for which one buys a Bobber. Just my two cents.
But yeah, it does great at 70-80 MPH. I think it's a totally competent mid-range road-tripper. I was completely comfortable for 4 or 5 hours at a time. If anything, the wind kinda props you up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It looks good for long trips. Can you tell us what part number it is? Last fall I stopped at the local Harley dealer and two salesmen came out and asked me a lot of questions. One sat on it. I thought they would knock it but just the opposite happened. As a former Harley guy, (5 bikes) I really don't want to put a Harley part on it, but so far no one has made a Triumph windshield except for the small fly screens.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Tim,

I have a full size Speedmaster windshield on my Bobber Black. It's NOT supposed to fit due to the size of the forks. I'm sure it fits a standard Bobber. For my Bobber Black I had to work out some other brackets but it's worked great and I'm thrilled with it.

Cheerio,

Roy
Thanks Roy,
Is the Speedmaster windshield detachable?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It looks good for long trips. Can you tell us what part number it is? Last fall I stopped at the local Harley dealer and two salesmen came out and asked me a lot of questions. One sat on it. I thought they would knock it but just the opposite happened. As a former Harley guy, (5 bikes) I really don't want to put a Harley part on it, but so far no one has made a Triumph windshield except for the small fly screens.
I don’t know that prt number I’m afraid. A post on this forum referred to the Harley Sportster windshield so I just bought one pre-owned off eBay. There are various sizes in the detachable clamps and it’s 41mm clamps you require. I’m ex Harley owner myself along with literally every other Manufacturer and I have to say the Harley screens are without equal IMO. Great value on eBay to be had as they are quite expensive. I got the std height screen with a cheap detachable extender to aid protection. I can say that even with the std screen the protection is excellent and most importantly there is no annoying buffeting. The screen comes off in literally seconds. The clamps achieve a robust grip that gives you complete confidence that the windshield won’t budge at any speed. I’ve the screen off most of the time but handy for the longer trips or where rain is a possibility. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Hi Tim,

No it isn't detachable. I had to to customize it with new brackets and a little work to make it fit properly. It was never my intention to have it detachable so for me it wasn't an issue.

Last summer while switching out the headlight I did pull the windshield off with the intention of running it naked for a while, but one short ride down the road confined me to put it straight back on - must be getting old..:eek:

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Tim,

I have a full size Speedmaster windshield on my Bobber Black. It's NOT supposed to fit due to the size of the forks. I'm sure it fits a standard Bobber. For my Bobber Black I had to work out some other brackets but it's worked great and I'm thrilled with it.

Cheerio,

Roy
Hi Roy,

Thanks for sharing your windshield mod idea. Can you share where you got the brackets that attach the windshield to the Motone brackets?

Warm Regards,
Chad

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Hi Chad,

Yes happy to share. There is a dedicated thread somewhere, so forgive this short version.

I used the original stock brackets initially (see pics) to do a proof of concept. This worked fine but placed the windshield either slightly too far forward or rearward for my likening. After running it like this for a few months, I took the plunge and cut the stock brackets down, re-drilled them and had them powder coated (see pic).

Some playing around with washers/spacers and bolts also but got there in the end.

Overall I really liked how it turned out.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
268 Posts
Wind blast off a truck going 90+ on this bike is pretty strong, does it do much for that or just headwinds while cruising? Thought about getting a little motone airblade but will probably pass for something else right now. The little airblade probably wouldnt have that much effect anyway, kinda a study in ultra-minimalism. Dont do a whole lot of extended riding but if that keeps your neck and back from being strained and being practically blown off the bike from windblast then you have succeeded.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I mentioned this a couple of years back, however worth repeating.

The bugs out here in the west get really big. A few months after getting my bobber in 2018 I was on a beautiful ride in northern New Mexico, was taking this stunning, long sweeping corner then 'whack' something hit my face really hard (by the way I'm not into full-faced helmets). I think it was a fat locust, it drew blood, hurt like **** and had to pull barbs out of my cheek. I've been hit by all sorts over the years (one or two bee stings too) but that was the first time I thought I windshield was in my future. Never looked back since sorting mine out.

Cheerio,

Roy

P.s. the pic is from 2019 at the Grand Canyon.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts