Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
You have to give us your comparison wilbers vs fox! :smile2:
Ok. I’ll start off by saying I have always been satisfied by the performance of the Fox shock, but curiosity got the better of me with the Wilbers (and the search for even better ride quality/comfort).

After picking up and installing the Wilbers this morning (takes all of 15mins to install), I managed to ride about 100kms over roads I know very well, so was able to do a good back to back comparison with the Fox.

Straight away I noticed that the bike feels a touch higher and compression/rebound and overall ¨bounciness¨ feel different to the Fox. Once out on the road, I could feel that the bike now supported my weight better and the sensation of the bike feeing (a bit taller) was correct. Don’t ask me why or how, but it’s just a tad taller.
Anyway, ride quality wise the Wilber definitely handles imperfections and bad roads better than the Fox. The bike moves and flows better and I can feel it working under me. The Fox feels much stiffer and less compliant. That would be a good thing on perfect roads, but for the bad, rippled and bumpy asphalt we have here - I prefer the Wilbers by a long shot.
I can say this with confidence because I have a sensitive bladder and every bump or undulation that sends a jolt can make the “urge” worse.
All the bumps and road imperfections that I aimed for resulted in an impressively low “jolt” and the Wilbers absorbed a fair amount more than the Fox. So for me, the change is already beneficial. Sorry if that’s too much information, but for those of you with sensitive backs (or bladders), it’s an important point.
Mid corner stability is fantastic and I’m on the gas nice and early.

Overall, I’d say that the Fox is a great unit if you like a sporty, firm ride; It’s a quality unit with few (if any) drawbacks. The Wilbers though, provides a plusher, more comfortable ride and seems to suspend the bike in a different way to the Fox. Perhaps it’s cause now the preload and spring rate are tuned for my weight & preference, or the fact that the Fox is aimed at sportier riding. But for me, the Wilbers has hit the spot and I won’t be changing back.

I would like to give a big thanks to Mike The Bike and DidaKpc for all their input.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I couldn't have said better! But I'll go further to say that the Wilbers actually gets even better after a few thousand Km. I fitted mine in June this year, and since then done over 10,000km with it.

I recently rode from here in Northern Germany, down to Villefranche sur-Mer, near Monaco, to see my old schoolmate. I took my time, doing on average 500km per day. I rode in total, 3040km in nine days, on the Bobber, via Freiburg, Montreux (Lake Geneva), Geneva, Grenoble, Gap (Napoleon Route), Monaco.
The return trip took me via Savona (Italy), Turino, Aoste, Montreux again, and back home.
Cruising at an average speed of 130-140km/h, I had no fatigue apart from normal tiredness later in the day.
I attribute this largely to the Wilbers set-up I have on the bike; I have also the fork-springs and fork-oil from them.
The roads and highways in Italy are in a pretty miserable state, but still no fatigue.

The shock does indeed make the bike ever so slightly higher; it's 9mm longer than stock; giving us a good 10mm more negative travel. Any bike suspension lecture will tell us how important this is.

I'll post a more detailed story of my travels earlier this year, when I get the time in the near future, with some pics.
For now, here's one of "Guinevere" packed up, somewhere in the French Alps near Grenoble...:wink2:

Cheers!
mike

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike - thanks for clarifying I’ve not yet gone mad in imagining a taller bike. :smile2:
I’m FAR from being an expert in suspension and I just tell it straight as I feel it while riding.

I think our fellow forum members are going to REALLY like the pics you took during your trip with Guinevere! (Spoiler alert: they’re great !)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Ok. I guess I will volunteer to test and try out that old, no good, worn out fox shock before you just throw it in the trash bin. ?

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Eisen, I'm glad to hear you got your new shock. That means mine shouldn't be far behind. I'd love to get it before this weekend, so I can install it and go for a ride with it. Can't wait!!

Any quick tips for the install?

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any quick tips for the install?
Yes. Always be polite and make your mechanic a good coffee! :grin2:

The install takes a few minutes and doesn’t require removal of the rear seat.
Have to raise and support the bike from underneath so the suspension is fully uncompressed and then only use a paddock stand to pivot the rear when needed (to align the bolt during install). So best to do it with another person.

Let us know how you get along :)

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. I guess I will volunteer to test and try out that old, no good, worn out fox shock before you just throw it in the trash bin. ?
Nice try >:)
The Fox will remain with me for when the Wilbers goes back to Germany for a rebuild. Usually it’s a quick process, but if they are busy it can take weeks.

·
Registered
360 Posts
As a relative newbie to riding, what's this back-to-Germany-for-a-rebuild about?
Wilbers offer a routine service/revision/inspection of their products if you so wish.
They can also customize or add an extra reservoir for compression damping if you like.

I'll be sending mine in for a check, this winter; and new spring adjustment rings, 'cause I scratched mine while playing about with them. I'm in Germany, they're only 200km away from me, so maybe I'll even go there personally; be interesting to see the factory.

cheers!
mike

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
@ysoslo
Just to clarify, the shock does NOT have to go back to Wilbers in Germany for a routine service (or any service, for that matter).
I am sure they have authorized servicepoint(s) somewhere near you which will keep your shock working perfectly and under warranty should anything happen. Best to email them & ask.

Its always a good idea to have it inspected and serviced once every 20,000km or so. Just like your front forks/oil change, etc; Springs & parts/linkages get tired too.

Just for example, Wilbers Spain charge between 98 to 140 euros for an inspection, revalve and setup of a shock. But being Spain I imagine its possible to get it done for alot cheaper by a qualified shop.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
I got a new toy delivered today!! It didn't make it in time to be installed last weekend, so it'll have to wait until next week. I'll be testing it in the cold, but I can't wait to feel the difference! Part of me feels bad that my butt will only be able to enjoy it for a week or 2 until I have to tuck my Bobber away for the winter, but it'll be ready to roll in the Spring with new tail lights installed over the winter.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its a very quick install.
I hope the weather stays ok for you and you can enjoy a nice ride out with your new suspender :smile2:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Great to hear you’ve managed to make such a positive improvement eisen... always a good thing after we drop money into our toys :)

Like you were I’m also very happy with my Fox shock fornthe most part but do like the idea of having something more tailored to my weight. I think I may have previously mentioned how I have been running Nitron shocks on my race cars for many years. I’m a big fan of their offerings and given that I get a decent discount I am very tempted to give them a try. But, I would like to understand if their shock also results in the bike sitting a little higher. As a tall guy this appeals!

·
Registered
509 Posts
I've been really happy with my Wilber shock as well. Yes , the extra height feels and rides right on the road. Should have come from the factory like this.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Does anyone have a side shot or measurement from before and after of the ride height/stance?

I am interested in the Wilbur’s but have no interest in raising the height of the bike.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry - I don’t have any measurements as literally went from DHL to the garage to have it installed.
The bike sits higher, but not by a significant amount. Just noticeable as I was used to the Fox setup.

May I ask why you don’t want the bike to sit taller?

·
Registered
504 Posts
I like the way my bike sits. I think it sits as it should, maintaining the ride height that keeps the hard tail line in tact.

I also know that raising the rear will steepen the head angle..to which I don’t feel is needed now.

I am not saying that your bike may not be fabulous with the Wilbur’s shock....I am just not really sure I am wanting to change the appearance and entire handling characteristics of my bike for a upgraded rear shock.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fair enough.
Best would be to try one then before you commit.
I would just like to stress that the lines of the bike are not affected. The height is only perceived by the rider and only when compared directly with stock/Fox shock.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts