Triumph Bobber Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'd like to compare what others with the Wilbers shocks have been given for spring rates, because after yesterday, I'm almost certain they've given me a spring that is a bit soft. I've got printed on the spring 59/59-45-165. I think this equates to a 45nm/mm spring, which is about 256ft/lbs, or 4.5 kg. I've got the preload wound up by almost half of the threaded section and that is giving me 40mm of preload, which on a 73mm travel spring is too much I think. I'd be happier with 30, but if the spring rate is correct it shouldn't need to be wound up that much. It's also bottoming out a tad too easily. I know for sure that this spring won't cope with a passenger. What have others got printed on their springs? How do others feel about the spring rate?

·
Registered
44 Posts
ok, so I've had the spring changed to a heavier one, and it's much better. Doesn't bottom out so much now, feels more like it should. I don't know why the prescribed spring was too soft, but it was. this one is good. Now for the front. . . . . .

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'd like to compare what others with the Wilbers shocks have been given for spring rates, because after yesterday, I'm almost certain they've given me a spring that is a bit soft. I've got printed on the spring 59/59-45-165. I think this equates to a 45nm/mm spring, which is about 256ft/lbs, or 4.5 kg. I've got the preload wound up by almost half of the threaded section and that is giving me 40mm of preload, which on a 73mm travel spring is too much I think. I'd be happier with 30, but if the spring rate is correct it shouldn't need to be wound up that much. It's also bottoming out a tad too easily. I know for sure that this spring won't cope with a passenger. What have others got printed on their springs? How do others feel about the spring rate?
I have this setting from Wilbers for 110kg (243lb) riders:

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have this setting from Wilbers for 110kg (243lb) riders:

Now that's interesting, as it's different to what they put on mine first. Mine was fitted with a 45 spring rate. I'm a little lighter than that, but it was very soft. I've got a different spring on it now, and it's much better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Now that's interesting, as it's different to what they put on mine first. Mine was fitted with a 45 spring rate. I'm a little lighter than that, but it was very soft. I've got a different spring on it now, and it's much better.
Hello,new member here.
Having the same problem with the supplied spring my Wilbers shock.
Can you tell me the new spring Nm and your weight please?
If you wouldn't mind.
I keep winding on spring preload, now at 33mm and the shock is still bottoming out with normal riding no really big bumps. I have a cable/zip tie on the shaft. From OEM preload was at 29 which i thought was considerable to start with.
With the amount of spring preload there appears to be no static sag, which would suggest that the spring is too soft.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and Cheers.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just chiming in too on the Wilbers. Its an amazing upgrade. No more bottoming out or back pain from jolting up the spine. I tune it soft for country rides and tighter for spirited rides. You can really feel the difference. Well spent money!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well... I had a Wilber's fitted yesterday and results are far from stellar here. To be clear, I weigh 71kg - with gear around 80kg and just did quite a few km with my Bobber to see how it feels. And it almost feels like it's stiffer compared to the standard shock. Not at all what I expected. It's still as hard as before, so much so that I decided to sell the Bobber (even though I only have it since april) because my back hurts way too much.

I haven't touched the small red dial, I checked it and it seems to be set right in the middle (12 clicks to the left, 11 to the right if I'm correct). I have the 640 Wilber's btw. Really very disappointed, was expecting to get a Bobber that suits me. God I love that bike and it hurts me having to sell it due to the hardness :(

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Sorry to hear that mate,

I was pleased with my Wilbers upgrade, however the real improvement only came once I had converted to a sprung seat. I feel the Bobber will always be compromised for some riders with the only real solution for comfort being a sprung seat which is not an upgrade many would want to do.

Cheerio,
Roy

·
Registered
2022 Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster
12 Posts
ok, so I've had the spring changed to a heavier one, and it's much better. Doesn't bottom out so much now, feels more like it should. I don't know why the prescribed spring was too soft, but it was. this one is good. Now for the front. . . . . .
What spring rate did you settle on?

They shipped me a 45 NM/mm one as well, even though I specified 50/50 between 80kg solo / 170kg 2up. I just reached out to Julia over there asking to exchange to a 55 NM spring.

It's not apples to apples but for my dual sport (with tons of wheel travel) I have a 54 NM/kg spring for when it's heavily loaded. I'm really shocked (no pun intended) that they would send a 45 NM spring for such a heavy bike riding 2up.

Update: the max spring on these is 50 NM/mm, they exchanged for free (after a bit of pestering)!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Gents,

Well my Wilbers unexpectedly arrived today, quicker than I thoughts, so I set about fitting it.

I did this myself and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it way. I used my jack to carefully lift/lower the back wheel to line up the holes which made this a very easy instal (see pics).

The quality is really clear when compared to the stock shock so just that alone is nice.

I went out for a test ride and met up with my wife for a drink, so she took a photo of me and Charlotte.

Let's face it the stock shock is pants. As I have added more weight to my bike, I could not go for a ride without it bottoming out, no fun at all. It may be just me but the whole bike feels more stable now, especially when hitting bumps around the corners.

Combined with my sprung constructed saddle, sat atop two springs and the new Wilbers, I recon I've got the best possible set up. On my test ride I deliberately aimed for the bumps and the bike just soaked everything up, no issues with handling and no discomfort, it felt like a totally different bike, bigger, more stable and as it should be.

A great upgrade and one I would highly recommend (especially with a sprung saddle:grin2:).

Cheerio,

Roy
Hi Roy,
I’ve been off of the forum for yonks, but i’d really like your opinion on which replacement rear shock is most comfortable in handling bumps.
I’m seriously considering getting a different bike.
(I am in fact purchasing a 1960 3TA-T21 bored out to 500cc ) Anyhoo, as I respect your knowledge, I thought I would ask your opinion on best fix for the unsafe, scary stock set-up.
I thank you in advance.
cheers laddie.
derek
Duggieboy.

·
Registered
2022 Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster
12 Posts
I have not tried the Matris or Ohlins units but I would bet they are all similarly performing and much better than stock. I LOVE my Wilbers 640 on my SM.

The 643 is more expensive but even better - you can set compression and it has a remote reservoir for better cooling.

Getting the proper spring rate and setting preload and rebound correctly make a world of difference. Youtube has a lot of good resources on suspension setup.

I ordered directly from them and had a good experience overall.

If you can spare a few extra sheckles you can also order it from BeemerShop for a bit of a premium (probably $200 or more) but have the benefit of their help getting set up and having a US contact if you aren't comfortable dealing with emailing / calling their office in Germany if you have issues (they are very fluent in English).

·
Registered
399 Posts
Roy,in case you're running out of things to change or spend more money on your bike I'd look at the front forks.
Unlike many here, I opted for the Matris shock and also the fork cartridges. Both changes made a much needed
improvement in handling and comfort.

Chico
Agreed. At MINIMUM you could put preload adjustible fork caps on and that would improve the ride alot. I like Chico went with the full Matris emulators and couldn't be happier with the result. The Bobber from the factory is woefully undersprung (especially for fat boys like me) and add that to no adjustability and you make for sore hands and aching spines.
Odometer Light Speedometer Automotive tire Motor vehicle

21 - 38 of 38 Posts