Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gents,

Well my Wilbers unexpectedly arrived today, quicker than I thoughts, so I set about fitting it.

I did this myself and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it way. I used my jack to carefully lift/lower the back wheel to line up the holes which made this a very easy instal (see pics).

The quality is really clear when compared to the stock shock so just that alone is nice.

I went out for a test ride and met up with my wife for a drink, so she took a photo of me and Charlotte.

Let's face it the stock shock is pants. As I have added more weight to my bike, I could not go for a ride without it bottoming out, no fun at all. It may be just me but the whole bike feels more stable now, especially when hitting bumps around the corners.

Combined with my sprung constructed saddle, sat atop two springs and the new Wilbers, I recon I've got the best possible set up. On my test ride I deliberately aimed for the bumps and the bike just soaked everything up, no issues with handling and no discomfort, it felt like a totally different bike, bigger, more stable and as it should be.

A great upgrade and one I would highly recommend (especially with a sprung saddle:grin2:).

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome to hear that.
I totally agree that the bike feels completely different once it’s sprung properly.
Don’t throw away the OEM unit - as you can use it while the Wilbers is being serviced.
Thanks for that eisen77,

Good advise indeed.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had the exact same thoughts. My first ride with the Wilbers felt amazing, and after a month, still impressed me how well it handles over stock.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Roy, what type of shock do you use? Wilbers offers the 640 and the 540 shock (there is also a very expensive competion shock). I am so happy with the fully adjustable Wilbers shock I have in my Tiger 800 and I wonder whether I need a shock rebound damping adjustable as I never change any setting on the tiger apart from preload...so I might get away with the cheaper 540.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Chaps,

Well it was a stunning classic summer morning here in Arizona, so I really needed to go for a ride and try out my new set up a little more. I headed up into the cool mountains just outside of town for those empty, windy roads. I'm totally thrilled with how the bike rides now. In some ways it feels like a different bike, inspiring more confidence. It feels more solid and stable, especially on the corners. The Wilbers shock combined with the sprung seat makes if feel more like a touring bike, you hardly notice any but the most sever bumps and then it's not at all uncomfortable.

Quite frankly I don't think Triumph should sell the Bobber with the sock shock, it's just not up to the job. If I knew then what I know now, it would have been the first upgrade I would have done.

Thanks to all members over this last year who have shared there experience with shock upgrade, it was all really helpful.

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Hi Chaps,

Well it was a stunning classic summer morning here in Arizona, so I really needed to go for a ride and try out my new set up a little more. I headed up into the cool mountains just outside of town for those empty, windy roads. I'm totally thrilled with how the bike rides now. In some ways it feels like a different bike, inspiring more confidence. It feels more solid and stable, especially on the corners. The Wilbers shock combined with the sprung seat makes if feel more like a touring bike, you hardly notice any but the most sever bumps and then it's not at all uncomfortable.

Quite frankly I don't think Triumph should sell the Bobber with the sock shock, it's just not up to the job. If I knew then what I know now, it would have been the first upgrade I would have done.

Thanks to all members over this last year who have shared there experience with shock upgrade, it was all really helpful.

Cheerio,

Roy
Roy,in case you're running out of things to change or spend more money on your bike I'd look at the front forks.
Unlike many here, I opted for the Matris shock and also the fork cartridges. Both changes made a much needed
improvement in handling and comfort.

Chico

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Roy,in case you're running out of things to change or spend more money on your bike I'd look at the front forks.
Unlike many here, I opted for the Matris shock and also the fork cartridges. Both changes made a much needed
improvement in handling and comfort.

Chico
Let the man enjoy his Wilbers for a while before you make him crack open his wallet again :grin2:
Cause once he has done the front, a brake upgrade will just have to be next....>:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've got the Wilbers on my speedmaster now. It's a lot less bouncy now - the rebound damping works well. But I still feel like it's a bit undersprung. I've not owned a cruiser style bike for 30 years, so I might be just applying sports touring feel to this, but it still feels like it compresses too much. I've cranked up the preload to half way down the threaded part, and I have about 35 mm laden sag, so it's around right in that sense, but I'd have thought it shouldn't take that much preload to get it to the starting point.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Gents,

This was about an hour ago at the top of Mingus Mountain (Arizona). My brother in law (Richard) wanted to take his 250 Honda Rebel for a ride. He is a member of an orienteering club so wanted to check out this location. We drove over 3 miles (felt like 10..!) up a bumpy dirt track but the views were well worth it, stunning.

It also gave me a great chance to really test out my new Wilbers shock 'off road' (well sort of). Worked terrific. I felt like I was one of those WWII Army despatch riders being tested over rough ground..:surprise: Bobber, Wilbers and sprung saddle held up beautifully. Although she is now totally filthy and covered in dust, so a good wash tonight.

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi Gents,

Well my Wilbers unexpectedly arrived today, quicker than I thoughts, so I set about fitting it.

I did this myself and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it way. I used my jack to carefully lift/lower the back wheel to line up the holes which made this a very easy instal (see pics).

The quality is really clear when compared to the stock shock so just that alone is nice.

I went out for a test ride and met up with my wife for a drink, so she took a photo of me and Charlotte.

Let's face it the stock shock is pants. As I have added more weight to my bike, I could not go for a ride without it bottoming out, no fun at all. It may be just me but the whole bike feels more stable now, especially when hitting bumps around the corners.

Combined with my sprung constructed saddle, sat atop two springs and the new Wilbers, I recon I've got the best possible set up. On my test ride I deliberately aimed for the bumps and the bike just soaked everything up, no issues with handling and no discomfort, it felt like a totally different bike, bigger, more stable and as it should be.

A great upgrade and one I would highly recommend (especially with a sprung saddle:grin2:).

Cheerio,

Roy
Is that the 640 nightline Roy?

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts