Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been advised to order the standard version of the Wilbers valving, but my goal for the bobber is comfort. However, the main reason I'm getting it is to avoid it bottoming out and wrecking my spine. I hear most people get the standard.

With that said, has anyone ordered the 640 in "comfort"? Any bottoming issues?

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Hi @Sub,

I had some serious bottoming out issues, especially when I started using panniers. I did order the Wilbers 640, here is the link to my thread when I fitted it:

https://www.triumphbobberforum.com/forum/393-suspension-brakes/15469-wilbers-upgrade-done.html

I found it immediately stopped the bottoming out and also improved comfort, handling and stability.

As for comfort? I have found the Wilbers combined with my vintage style sprung seat has been absolutely superb. I would be surprised if anyone has a Bobber more comfortable than mine..:smile2: My uncomfortable rear on, cringing over pot holes, teeth & spine jarring when I hit that unnoticed bump are all just distant memories.

Link to my sprung seat project.

https://www.triumphbobberforum.com/forum/113-triumph-supersport-bobber-general-discussion/15437-fitted-vintage-british-style-sprung-seat.html

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
@Sub
I also ordered the Wilber 640 but what I know is that my spring was specifically for my weight and I did not know that there was such thing as a standard or comfort valving. Dint see that option while ordering. I have no experience of bottoming and damping is pretty good. Highly recommend it!

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Best to describe your (honest) riding habits to Wilbers and they will setup the shock for relaxed/spirited/crazy riding according to your preference.
I told them I do relaxed paced road riding (one up, obviously for the Bobber) and hardly ever ever go canyon carving. The shock feels fantastic; balanced and comfortable.
My GSA shock demands were a lot more complex (1 & 2 up comfort with + without luggage, touring, canyon carving, etc) and they also got those front and rear shocks perfectly dialed in for me.
Wilbers know their stuff, but you have to tell them what YOU want and give them as much data as possible. The more they understand what you want & expect, the better they can set up the shock for you.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree 100% with Roy and eisen77. I provided detailed information and ridding habits when I placed my order which were similar to eisen77. My first ride with them installed was Sunday’s DGR. I rode 100 or more miles total and can’t be more pleased with the ride. I don’t recall them bottoming out. More importantly, My bottom was Happy Happy!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok cool, thanks guys. Will leave it on standard then. They're saying 4-6 weeks, missing the riding season.. :(

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am getting custom paint and that adds 2 weeks alone I hear. :)

I deliberated over the color for a while, but my goal is to match the color of the spark plug covers. RAL 8012 is the color code, or "Red Brown".

Its either going to look fantastic or like a piece of poop, in which case I'll have it stripped and coated black I suppose.

·
Registered
230 Posts
no need to take the more expensive Wilbers 640, I have the 540 and it serves the purpose. According to Wilbers the main difference between the 640 and 540 is the possibility to adjust it more easily. As the 540 came pre-adjusted for my weight I won't fiddle around with the settings anyway so that is perfect for me

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no need to take the more expensive Wilbers 640, I have the 540 and it serves the purpose. According to Wilbers the main difference between the 640 and 540 is the possibility to adjust it more easily. As the 540 came pre-adjusted for my weight I won't fiddle around with the settings anyway so that is perfect for me
I was going to go that route too, but you cant customize the color on the 540. :(

·
Registered
230 Posts
I was going to go that route too, but you cant customize the color on the 540. :(

hmm did not even think about chucking 250 Euros + out just for the color of a rear shock hidden so good you do not see it most of the times.... but each to his own

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Splurge a little you miser! :)
Splurge? I don't think I've stopped 'splurging' since I paid cash for my Bobber. I'm now scared to add up what I've spent on her but have a rough idea :surprise: . Not being wealthy it's good to pretend I am:grin2: Even if it's just on my bike - she's worth it..:x

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi @Sub,

I had some serious bottoming out issues, especially when I started using panniers. I did order the Wilbers 640, here is the link to my thread when I fitted it:

https://www.triumphbobberforum.com/forum/393-suspension-brakes/15469-wilbers-upgrade-done.html

I found it immediately stopped the bottoming out and also improved comfort, handling and stability.

As for comfort? I have found the Wilbers combined with my vintage style sprung seat has been absolutely superb. I would be surprised if anyone has a Bobber more comfortable than mine..:smile2: My uncomfortable rear on, cringing over pot holes, teeth & spine jarring when I hit that unnoticed bump are all just distant memories.

Link to my sprung seat project.

https://www.triumphbobberforum.com/forum/113-triumph-supersport-bobber-general-discussion/15437-fitted-vintage-british-style-sprung-seat.html

Cheerio,

Roy
Cool setup. I recently had a Mother Lode spring seat made for my wife’s Scout and it definitely added to ride cushiness big time!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just following up on this. The shock is everything people say it is, great upgrade and very happy to sort out my issues. The color match is off, but not horribly so. Just wanted people to know if thye were color matching too - it needs more red to match the plug covers. I did get the standard valving and its perfect for me, still comfortable on soft and sporty on hard.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts