Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the bike out again twice this week, god I have missed it.

It's a lump of metal, but I love it dearly. Rode for not as long as I would have liked, but enough to make me smile from ear to ear. When asked by non riders, why, I cannot really put into words why I do it. The best I can come up with is "it's chicken soup for the soul. It's a reset button, as soon as I ride I forget everything, it gives me some kind of balance, I get in the zone". I really cannot explain and in the end suggest a non rider trys it.

Anyone out there help me out how to explain to non riders why? I tried to get my wife into it, I even volunteered to get a Speedmaster as opposed to a Bobber so that she could also get it, but she doesn't. What is it that I crave that she and others don't?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I got the bike out again twice this week, god I have missed it.

It's a lump of metal, but I love it dearly. Rode for not as long as I would have liked, but enough to make me smile from ear to ear. When asked by non riders, why, I cannot really put into words why I do it. The best I can come up with is "it's chicken soup for the soul. It's a reset button, as soon as I ride I forget everything, it gives me some kind of balance, I get in the zone". I really cannot explain and in the end suggest a non rider trys it.

Anyone out there help me out how to explain to non riders why? I tried to get my wife into it, I even volunteered to get a Speedmaster as opposed to a Bobber so that she could also get it, but she doesn't. What is it that I crave that she and others don't?
I was a car man long before riding bikes. I’ve owned some serious metal over the years and raced competitively for over ten years. Some of the race cars I have owned have been road legal, and although I loved being out on a track, the simple pleasure of being out on the road in a car that provides such a sense of occasion, due to offering some theatre, was and still is a thrill...(when the roads are clear at least!)

I then, after putting bikes off for so many years, bit the bullet and bought my first bike, (some time ago now) and what was true of my experience and love of enjoying the road on four wheels... was elevated to a whole new level when on two!

Before that revalation... many bikers over the years had tried to explain and to convert my ways to that of the bikeside... but although I felt I had an idea as to what they were trying to convey... I could have never fully understood until I experienced it for myself.

In what you’ve written... I identify the most with, “It's a reset button, as soon as I ride I forget everything, it gives me some kind of balance”. In my own words, it’s pure mindfulness, nothing else other than the task at hand and the views around me enter my mind, which gives me a silent, restful peace and rest-bite from anything else that might be going on in my life.

I too have tried to explain this to people and more often that not it falls upon deaf ears. I’ve come realise it’s something that needs to be experienced and even then some fail to be stirred in the same way.

My wife also rides, has done for a lot longer than me... but see’s the bike as a means to get someone efficiently and swiftly, which of course it is and does, but I never use my bike to arrive, it’s used for the joy of the journey there and the Zen that brings me!

·
Registered
548 Posts
I think I would have to agree with the "It needs to be experienced" statement, I too have tried to explain it in words, and fall short every time.

You can plant the seed of curiosity, but until you "feel" it for your self, the words are just that, words.

Think the closest I've gotten is with Folks I know who have successfully operated trucks in extreme conditions. same focus and low level adrenaline fueled attention.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I am doing at least one long trip each year, this year I will attend the Tiger 800 Megameet in the Lake District. I guess I'll doing 3,500 kms on that trip. A lot of people ask me why I am doing this when I could jump on a plane and roast on a southern beach for two weeks instead of sitting every day on the bike, getting a sore bum and sometimes getting wet and/or cold. Those people do not get the idea: when I am doing a trip like that a lot of things which make my work life so stressful are left behind: no phone calls while driving no need to check e-mails, whatsapp and what have you. I somehow vanish from my every day life for a fortnight. It's just me and the bike fullstop. For me this is more relaxing that getting sunburnt on that beach.

As someone also pointed out: it's the drifting thing that makes such trips so interesting. Although I do pre-plan the trip with my satnav in order to do the best roads I almost never pre-book accomodation and so far it always worked out fine. I am grateful for the little surprises

I love doing trips with my mates here in Germany or big ride outs at events like the Megameet. But I really need riding on my own for a few days.

·
Registered
127 Posts
To me, it's breaking out of the ordinary, namely:
>allows me to be among the elements (especially on a Bobber)
>requires absolutely focus in the here & now (something that ordinary life rarely requires)
>the bike responds to my movements instantaneously which is gratifying
>riding only a short distance relieves stress
There are few activities that can invigorate the soul for life like a motorcycle.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Adventure, friendships, adrenaline, overcoming adversity. Going to random places and talking to random people.

Almost died on a bike 4 years ago and have metal rods in both femurs from it. Worked so hard to get back on a bike again, and while I dont race cars or bikes anymore, most of my best friends were made somehow from motorcycles over the last 20 years.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was a car man long before riding bikes. I’ve owned some serious metal over the years and raced competitively for over ten years. Some of the race cars I have owned have been road legal, and although I loved being out on a track, the simple pleasure of being out on the road in a car that provides such a sense of occasion, due to offering some theatre, was and still is a thrill...(when the roads are clear at least!)

I then, after putting bikes off for so many years, bit the bullet and bought my first bike, (some time ago now) and what was true of my experience and love of enjoying the road on four wheels... was elevated to a whole new level when on two!

Before that revalation... many bikers over the years had tried to explain and to convert my ways to that of the bikeside... but although I felt I had an idea as to what they were trying to convey... I could have never fully understood until I experienced it for myself.

In what you’ve written... I identify the most with, “It's a reset button, as soon as I ride I forget everything, it gives me some kind of balance”. In my own words, it’s pure mindfulness, nothing else other than the task at hand and the views around me enter my mind, which gives me a silent, restful peace and rest-bite from anything else that might be going on in my life.

I too have tried to explain this to people and more often that not it falls upon deaf ears. I’ve come realise it’s something that needs to be experienced and even then some fail to be stirred in the same way.

My wife also rides, has done for a lot longer than me... but see’s the bike as a means to get someone efficiently and swiftly, which of course it is and does, but I never use my bike to arrive, it’s used for the joy of the journey there and the Zen that brings me!
See for me that's the thing, cars don't do a thing for me. I have driven and been in a number of what the masses would deem beautiful cars, but I really don't feel anything for them. If I won the lottery tomorrow, I would buy the wife a nice car, but some/any old truck would do me something to transport large bits about when needed, otherwise don't care. I have a work van, I have never ever washed it, and never will. The only time it gets cleaned is when it goes in for a service/work and every service I have received from dealer, they mention how dirty it is. "If i am unprepared to wash my own car, I sure as **** am not prepared to wash a work van" is usually my response. I have a neighbour who is nuts about cars washes them every week, he likes my van, but cannot get why I don't care about it. However, with the bike, I am always washing, looking at, thinking about mods etc. Why is it that I am so passionate about biking yet cars not a **** thing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
From the first time I threw a leg over my Montgomery Wards 5hp mini bike early on in life to this morning getting on the Tiger in the cold rain to go to work, the excitement of riding is there EVERY time. I've pretty much given up trying to explain to none riders what my motivation is because as mentioned earlier, it has to be experienced, and not everyone "gets" it. ****, I don't understand how people that have ridden a bike still don't "get" it. Just as every time I taste apple juice, it takes me back to visiting family in Canada, the smell of a motorcycle in spring takes me back to my 19 year old punk self with my first "real" bike, a Harley Sportster in spring '77. Riding makes me feel alive and I truly believe it keeps my young at heart spirit alive also. Having covered well over a half million miles just on motorcycles in my lifetime, I can't imagine a time of not having a bike to ride or not being "able" to ride, I know it's coming and it scares me more than dying itself. Hope this isn't too sappy...

·
Registered
577 Posts
Never managed to keep a driving instructor for long enough to finish a whole lesson let alone think about a car licence seriously, me and the bike are complete together, perfect symmetry of balance, fun and adrenaline. I cant stand on one foot safely on my own but on the bike my balance is perfect, not riding is like being separated from the other half of me, i really don't enjoy not riding at all!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
“See for me that's the thing, cars don't do a thing for me. I have driven and been in a number of what the masses would deem beautiful cars, but I really don't feel anything for them. If I won the lottery tomorrow, I would buy the wife a nice car, but some/any old truck would do me something to transport large bits about when needed, otherwise don't care. I have a work van, I have never ever washed it, and never will. The only time it gets cleaned is when it goes in for a service/work and every service I have received from dealer, they mention how dirty it is. "If i am unprepared to wash my own car, I sure as **** am not prepared to wash a work van" is usually my response. I have a neighbour who is nuts about cars washes them every week, he likes my van, but cannot get why I don't care about it. However, with the bike, I am always washing, looking at, thinking about mods etc. Why is it that I am so passionate about biking yet cars not a **** thing.”

Bikes have in many ways taken President in more recent times, over the longer standing love and passion for cars that I have. For me, (the road) itself plays a huge part in the equation of my sense of freedom. But when driving a car, the roads need supporting scenery and need to be completely clear of traffic in order for me to get, into the zone. But I must say, it helps when driving an out and out road legal race car with over 700 hp!

On a bike... any encountered traffic is rare, easily passed and actually just adds another enjoyable and varied element to being out on the road for me. But as I said previously... regardless of the car... they can not connect me to the road, to nature and eliminate all external thoughts anywhere near to the same degree as my bike!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts