Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to say... Personally I’m mighty tempted by this machine. I’m heading up to Motorcycle Live @ the Birmingham NEC next month and I have booked myself in for a VIP one on one tour of the bike to get a feel for it and to discuss options... watch this space!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Interesting bike and I have seen some pics that make it look amazing. I think that it would just feel too massive for my tastes despite the awesome performance. It’s a tank.

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Way to much power for me. Bobber is just fine for my style of riding.

Rocket 3 seems like strapping handlebars to, well, a rocket.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I rode a first generation Rocket and it scared me to death. :surprise:

The only thing scarier was ridding a Kawasaki 750 H2 Mach IV. I didn't have a motorcycle license yet. I went into a Kawasaki dealership to look at bikes and the salesman handed me the keys to a Mach IV. I could have easily killed myself. :|

·
Super Moderator
1,103 Posts
I love the new Rocket, it looks much better than the old one to me. Having just got a Goldwing last year, I think I'd be sufocated in my sleep if I came home with an R3 as well, so in the interests of long life I'm trying hard not to look at the new R3 too much...

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Looks like a monster. Sort of Triumph’s version of the Diavel, which is definitely a monster. Having been on one of those for just a few miles, taking it to a dealer to ship back to my friend’s house after he dropped it on his foot (!!!), it’s very impressive. I’m sure the Triumph will be, too. Not for me or my riding style but, should create a great halo effect for Triumph.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Much as I'd love to own one of the new Rockets, I'd probably worry that people would think I'm compensating for something. I mean, it'll probably have perfectly useable power and handling but it's just so "look at me! look at me!" in an over the top way.

It'll probably go down well in America (apologies for stereotyping!).

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Much as I'd love to own one of the new Rockets, I'd probably worry that people would think I'm compensating for something. I mean, it'll probably have perfectly useable power and handling but it's just so "look at me! look at me!" in an over the top way.

It'll probably go down well in America (apologies for stereotyping!).
For me though, you just described every bike that has full ferrings and a loud AF pipe revved up to 9k RPMs for no reason. Riding with shorts, trainers and a tshirt flapping in the wind. Doesn't seem the same as the R3.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Certainly an interesting range of opinions and comments... proving that we are all very different, which can only be a good thing to my mind.

For me, its a bike that’ll fit me a little better than the Bobber, as there is a lot of me and not a lot of bike. The R3 looks like something that’ll fit my frame a little better, allowing me to sit in the bike, as opposed to on the bike if that makes sense.

Power wise, it’s of no consequence to me. Regardless of what I ever ride, my style and pace aren’t dictated by the bikes ability, but by the tempo I set which tend to be pretty consistent regardless of the bike I’m on.

As for compensating for something... aren’t we all in some way or another lol

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
I remember when the Yamaha V Max was a big deal. :|
Me too,

I finally got one in 2,000 when still in the UK. As I recall Yamaha would not sell them in Britain due to fears of bad press from how many bikers would get killed on such a powerful bike. But I found an independent dealer not too far away who was privately importing them from Canada, so grabbed one.

Boy was it fun..:grin2::grin2::grin2:

The new ones I see are even bigger/more powerful.

I think the pic is from when I bought it new as I had not yet fitted the Marshal exhaust.

I confess at the time the V-Max was for me a great bike but no fun in the frost/ice of the winter (I rode all year round).

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts