Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, it would be very, very helpful if all members list where they are from (maybe a requirement in registration?) in their profile (no invasion of privacy, just a general location ie. US, UK, etc). It gets bothersome/impossible trying to figure out if upgrades, custom, or accessories are available across all our countries.

I see many items I'm interested in with no reference to what/where/who has them. Although I appreciate all the suggestions in these threads, a location of the member would be very helpful. As well as others across the forum knowing what's available and where.

Thoughts?

Thanks for your time,
Stu, Ribkick

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
@Ribkick
As MUCH as i agree with you and Chico, an individual has the right to show (or not) their location - just as members have the right to choose ¨invisible¨ mode to keep their online status private.
Many times i also look at an accessory/upgrade and then immediately look at the location on the poster´s profile. If there isn´t one, a quick search on Google lets me know where its sold and if its available in Spain. Only takes a few minutes.
Ultimately, it is up to the ADMINS to make location an obligatory part of membership. But i think that its most imporant for the vendor/sales section of the forum where it is enforced.

·
Registered
138 Posts
@Ribkick
Ultimately, it is up to the ADMINS to make location an obligatory part of membership. But i think that its most imporant for the vendor/sales section of the forum where it is enforced.
Yeah admins are all over that one !!!
There enforcement on location and 15/15 rule is about as good as using a colander to catch water !!!

·
Registered
517 Posts
In the beginning, I didnt even realize my location was a choice, after a while I found out how to set it up. Maybe people havent noticed they havent done it yet.

·
Super Moderator
1,059 Posts
Totally agree that it's a choice and peeps have a right to not display information. Don't think anyone would disagree with that. But like Ribkick, I think it would be great to encourage users to show this, as it does add to the overall experience of the forum. It's not a huge consequence, but I suspect that most people who don't show this data do so because they don't know it's there/can't be arsed to add it, rather than exercising their rights to liberty :grin2:

Any admins, this is a great forum, and thank you very much for taking the time to run it.

- Pasta

·
Registered
138 Posts
In the beginning, I didnt even realize my location was a choice, after a while I found out how to set it up. Maybe people havent noticed they havent done it yet.
Yup. I only traffic this site on mobile and have no clue where I can update my location information.
I had to find the laptop to be able to add my location as I couldn’t do it via my mobile.

·
Registered
789 Posts
If I had a dollar for every time I have seen technical questions or arguments get misinformation due to someone not realizing that different countries have different regulations, accessories, weather etc. I could make my next bike payment!
If you do a search of my posts you will find that I constantly request people to add their location. I will not answer a technical question without first finding out the location of all involved, otherwise I may be giving the wrong answer!
It doesn't have to be an exact location, just the country or state or province is fine, Please!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the reply's. I agree with all of them for various reasons. I find it interesting to see where our global family/club hails from so thank you again.

BOBBYP, that is an angle I never saw but man, do I agree. Great insight!

KEEP IT COMING, ALL.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I know....it’s an old thread, BUT can the admins please make a requirement when adding yourself as a member of the forum that location is a REQUIREMENT. It’s not intrusive as some may suggest and if you feel that way.....just lie! I for one say, make a requirement for next login and make the experience better. Admin....this is not a democracy requiring a vote....it’s your choice to make the forum better. Thanks

·
Registered
789 Posts
They don't need to give an address just a state or province or even country otherwise answering tech question is just a waste of everyone's time!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
While I’m on board that it should be essential, it’s impossible (and wrong) to force someone. And if the member lies, then what’s the point? Just to appease those that want to see a location even if it’s fake?

At the end of the day, this is a group based on passion for 2 wheels (amongst other things), sharing our wealth of knowledge and most importantly - comradery.
Yes it’s frustrating to want to help to a fellow Bobber owner while not knowing their rough geographic location, but at the end of the day only they lose out by not benefiting from knowledge situated (perhaps) right on their doorstep.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts