Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ever since they announced the new Rocket 3 I new I had to have one ,but how could I justify around 24K OTD price , I couldn't but It kept niggling at me , I searched out videos , forums , blogs , I kept away from the dealer knowing that If I went down there I might be coming home with a new bike . Anyway a couple of buddies of mine were going to the local dealership just for a look around so I said OK Ill tag along for the ride knowing It might be a big mistake , walking through the show room I came up on three of the beasts two Rs and a GT my first impressions were hmmm ok nice bikes but I'm not getting that fuzzy feeling you do when you see something you really want . Sales guy asked If I wanted to test ride the red R my friends were pulling me away from the bikes but **** while I'm here lets do It maybe ill change my mind about the bike . Bike was great to ride comfortable , very fast , turns In really well for such a big bike did I say It was fast fit and finish spot on , test ride over did I get that fuzzy feeling....no , great bike awesome bike but It just wasn't doing It for me and I still don't know why . Maybe It was a psychological thing the price point or my wife leaving me so I walked away a little disappointed lol and 24k richer . BUT on my way out I saw the new Thruxton RS now that Is one cool looking bike I didnt get a chance to ride It but I think It could be my next bike .
I have some soul searching to do , I have four bikes and no room for another one so I'm thinking of letting the Bobber go , as far as mods and upgrades go imo Its just about there I don't ride It as much as I should so maybe Its time to pass It on to somebody else MAYBE ....Is there a moral to this story I'm not sure .

·
Registered
512 Posts
My eye is constantly being caught by other bikes. It's a little easier for me in that I have space for only one, so that keeps the temptation down. Still, I went through four bikes in four years before settling on the Bobber. There are things I miss about every one of the ones I let go, and could easily find another to try, but for now sticking with the Bobber...

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Hi Mar-Vel,

Thanks for sharing that, an honest and thoughtful perspective.

Re the new Rocket, I wish I liked it more but for my personal taste it's just a little of the mark. I love the engine but he styling is a little too modern and 'slick' for my taste.

Like Steve said, I really only have room for one bike, so my Bobber has to do it all. Although I'm sorely tempted and never say never. But I doubt I will ever get rid of my Bobber, it's just such a great fit for me and indeed I am in love..:love:

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Read Only
153 Posts
Sometimes life has a way of pointing you in the right direction. I had a VFR 800 for over 20 years from new. It was perfect in every way and I loved that bike. I also had a VN900 cruiser for carrying the missis around on. Again I really liked riding that bike, easy, comfortable relaxing ride and surprisingly enjoyable. Then a heart condition lost me my job so I decided that a pacemaker and a VFR were not the best mix so I started to look around. I fell for the Bobber as soon as I saw it but could not really justify £10.5K so it went on the back burner, niggling away.

A guy doing some electrical work for me collects bikes and fell for the VFR when he saw it one day five years ago. He made me a very good offer and I always said he would get first refusal if I ever decided to sell it. Then it all came together one day. I saw a second hand Bobber of exactly the spec I would have chosen myself, 1,200 miles and perfect condition. I was offered a surprisingly good deal on the VN900 so that went there and I phoned the electrical chap and he was still prepared to pay the same for the VFR now five years later. At the end of the day the Bobber cost me just over £1000.00 for an almost new bike in the spec I wanted. I lost my 20 year love of the VFR but I know it has gone to a good home and will still be cherished.

The point is that you do not have to push these things or rush into them. Things will happen when they are meant to be and do not need to until you see something else that you can enjoy for many years. I'm sure I am going to love my Bobber for as many years as I can ride it so I don't feel the need for anything else.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
i have the room and an indian scout and the bobber. before each purchase they spoke to me in different ways and i use them for different purposes. i have more room in the garage and there are some other rides that really peak my interest, the speedmaster (but only to replace the scout), moto guzzi v7 stone, ural (love sidecars) and an electric (fuell?). but for now i’m pretty satisfied. since i don’t work on them, only ride ‘em, i just can’t justify another purchase if i don’t have time to ride it. moral of your story might be your very good instinct to stay away from the dealership ?

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'm thinking of letting the Bobber go , as far as mods and upgrades go imo Its just about there I don't ride It as much as I should so maybe Its time to pass It on to somebody else...
What? A hard core Bobber customizer thinking about getting rid of his Bobber?

BLASPHEMY!

-GPz

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have 3 bikes. No desire for a 4th. I guess it depends on the reason WHY you bought the Bobber in the first place? For me personally I have always wanted a stripped down, low slung, old school Bobber to play around with. I've looked at this type of bike for many years (mostly HD platforms) and lusted but never pulled the trigger.

When I saw the Bobbers in the dealership, my jaw dropped! Triumph wasn't even on my radar for this type of bike. It just so happened that they had a used one in the back with 500 miles on it. The last owner already put the ape hanger kit and Fox shock on it, as well as the Triumph sidebag. I absolutely could see me on it. They let me take it out for a test ride and I was shocked at how well sorted the bike was - and it had modern technology like rain mode, ABS, etc. The price was far lower than comparable bikes new. I rode home with it the same day.

It's the bike I ride the most. It's just so fun and it's a blast to ride. When i'm old and crusty, it will still be the bike I always wanted.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I'm in the non monogamous camp ;) I have two personal bikes, the Triumph and a Harley Road King, and a Ninja sport bike to ride when ever the kid isn't. My Harley is a great ride, and is my "utility" bike, and is a different class of machine.

Much like David, I bought the Bobber as a fun bike, with a vision of a 60's bobbed chopper in my head, it was definitely love at first sight, despite my v-twin obsession.. Although, I didn't get to ride mine until almost 4 months after seeing one for the first time. I think many of you have heard my story so I won't repeat it.. The Bobber has become my all time favorite, and I will find any excuse to ride it. It is my go to machine for just about every ride, with exception of distance or if I need to carry my than a back pack can handle. This bike and I will be together until one of us permanently runs out of gas..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts