Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever run aluminum wheel covers on their bikes? I am vaguely interested in doing so, obviously only for aesthetic reasons. Attached a few examples on other bikes. Just curious if anyone has ever done so, and if so encountered any performance problems. The main downside to me seems simple inconvenience when it comes to putting air in the tires etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
687 Posts
I had a conversation with Adrian at Canyon Motorcycles about rims that he sells with no cutouts. So very similar to a wheel with covers. He has these on his test Bobber. He stated that a big downside was that they were susceptible to wind buffeting.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a conversation with Adrian at Canyon Motorcycles about rims that he sells with no cutouts. So very similar to a wheel with covers. He has these on his test Bobber. He stated that a big downside was that they were susceptible to wind buffeting.

Yeah, I wondered about that.. Do you know if there are pics of that bike?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Yeah, I wondered about that.. Do you know if there are pics of that bike?
I found this picture online but when I visited his shop he had the solid wheels and not these.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
It is a great look but count me in on worry about wind buffeting.
I've been riding my Fatboy, which has solid wheels since the year 2000. The buffeting thing is a myth. A windscreen is much more susceptible to buffeting than the wheels. If you're traveling at mach 1 on the Bonneville Flats then it might be a consideration but if memory serves me I seem to recall that most if not all the fast vehicles at Bonneville have solid wheels.

Chico

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Thank you Roy, the Fatboy is a fancy anchor but I enjoy riding it. I keep it in Florida, a perfect topography for that bike.

Chico

·
Registered
687 Posts
Great looking Harley Chico! Not having owned a FatBoy or bike with solid wheels, I can only relay my conversation with Adrian. However I do wonder if the nearly 200lb weight difference between the FatBoy and Bobber changes the equation?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
kilyung, the differences between the Bobber and Fatboy are so great that any comparison in order to arrive at any meaningful conclusions is just folly. It's like comparing a wife with a GF.:grin2:

Chico

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Anyone ever run aluminum wheel covers on their bikes? I am vaguely interested in doing so, obviously only for aesthetic reasons. Attached a few examples on other bikes. Just curious if anyone has ever done so, and if so encountered any performance problems. The main downside to me seems simple inconvenience when it comes to putting air in the tires etc.
IS that actually a modded RE? Motor almost looks twin in size.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
IS that actually a modded RE? Motor almost looks twin in size.
Yes one of the new 650 Twins, and heavily modded.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm also interested in wheel covers for the bobber.

Have had a conversation with the Bike Brothers about it as I know they did it at their last Bobber project, see picture of the dark green one.

But they told me it doesn't fit very well and there was a lot of touch up to fit it!

All wheel covers are designed for Harleys, but our Bobbers has different spokes and a wider brake caliper so it is not easy to fit.

See also the pictures of the silver one, also from a guy in germany.

But if you want it you can do it with some handicraft :wink2:

Still one of my next projects for my Bobber :grin2:

cheers
Ram

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Personally, I think they’re one mod too far. They’re only going to have a negative impact on the handling. Also, to me, they make the bike look like a tart’s boudoir.

No thanks.

·
Registered
270 Posts
To me the looks are take it or leave it. Doesn’t move me.
The real issue for me is many a time i’ve Been pushed over from crosswind, I can just image what would happen with those on.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The covers are too much for me and my bikes but I am exploring having rims and spokes powder coated. May be a little labour intensive but would really finalize the look I’m going for.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts