Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Administrator
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you can share a few things about your ownership of the 2017+ Triumph Bonneville Bobber, what would it be? The most liked or hated, share them with every one I am sure you won't be the only one. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Its went pretty good. Love the bike and have added V&H exhaust, knee pads, tank pad, dresser bars, temperature and clock on the handlebars, side mount license plate, wireless air pressure caps, cruise control, spools.

Bought a red and really liked the green and silver. Was going to trade for the green and silver but ordered a tank so I've got the red tank and green and silver. Saved me 1000's of dollars.

Dislikes: small tank, headlight and brakes

Just want to let everyone know the headlight has been replaced with a LED bulb. Works 100 times better and the brakes have actually gotten better after 500 miles.

If you can share a few things about your ownership of the 2017+ Triumph Bonneville Bobber, what would it be? The most liked or hated, share them with every one I am sure you won't be the only one. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Really like that it handles better than one would expect. Perfect size bike for me, great sized motor. And the look....awesome...I use the rear break most the time so the break combo doesn't bother me so much.

Dislikes:
It's called "Bobber", CLEANING IT SUCKS, small tank....

·
Registered
71 Posts
It Handles great
Looks great
Motor vs gear ratio is awesome
Modern tech neatly hidden

Dislike
Small tank
Price on some Triumph accessories really expensive
Cleaning the chain on it is a pain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
likes and dislikes

wifes bike she loves her jet black bobber but does not like gas cap too many steps at the gas station so we will switch to locking cap with separate key.also do not like the hassle of trying to get a service manual, let alone a parts manual.as we live 400 miles away from nearest dealer in northern Ontario with limited internet speed.love the o-ring chain not a fan of belt drive.love the handling and the comfort level of the seat.she has heated grips ,dresser bars,black panniers, and knee pads all are great.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I love everything about the bike. The build quality is excellent, the torque is awesome, and she handles very well. Could the gas tank hold a bit more, yes, but I don't really care. The Bobber is beautiful and turns eyes wherever I go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
the look

I love the look of the bobber, I once had a 1947 BSA B31, I loved the look of the old BSA but it was a heavy slow pig to ride. Google 1946 b31 look at the pictures especially the mudguards, I wonder if triumph got some ideas from that bike.

·
Registered
70 Posts
To me the name Bobber suggested a sunday afternoon scoot around nearby hills or a ride to a local cafe. So apart from the uncomfortable back jarring seat the bike lived up to expectations straight off the showroom floor. As mentioned in other threads, I have since modified the bike in pursuit of a ride that is easier on me old back bones.

It would be nice to retain the "statement seat" look whilst having the seat independently suspended much like some of the old hard tail bikes.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Filling up twice a week for the commute is no biggie (and it's 20mpg better than the tiger sport - least till it's run in anyway).
Fox Shock from new cured the test ride bottoming out

I really miss is my top box, going the Kriega bag way to cart the DSLR around now, I HATE wearing bags with bulky back breaking loads but no choice now.

Only other gripe are Avon tyres, not touched anything but a Michellin for the past 20 years so i don't have the same faith in the tyres in the wet, let alone over winter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Took this bike for a test ride back in March '17. Liked it so much I put down a deposit straight away. Took ownership within a month due to a cancellation. No regrets whatsoever. Great ride (although see below) great handling, pulls like a train. Love it but:

Tank capacity is way too small
On British roads it can be a back breaking ride when you hit potholes
Keep scraping the pegs!
Cost of accessories is outrageous (87 quid for ONE peep mirror!!!!)

Having come from a VFR800 the lack of wind protection keeps a comfortable ride down to around 60mph which actually suits me just fine these days!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hated the tiny tank ~ changed it for T120 one
Headlight ~ changed for 7" led
Indicators/rear light ~ fitted bar end indicators & Thrux R rear light
Cat ~ killed that straight away
Exhausts ~ fitted goldie's
Mudguards ~ lengthened both front & rear, with extra stays
Front brake ~ fitted bigger disc & 6 pot being made
Colour ~ booked in for paintjob
HATE HATE HATE speed restriction ~ too tech for me but am desperately waiting for someone to crack ecu

Really like this bike.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Love:
- the clean lines (reminding me of bikes of old)
- the handling is superb and the bike is light
- one key for the forks & ignition
- weight distribution is such, that at 75-80 mph, I'm not blown off the bike without a windshield
- the torque
- the red/black color of the tank

Love not so much:
- lockable gas cap, which is functional, but a hassle
- the horn is lame

·
Registered
348 Posts
I wouldn't say I ever really hated anything about the bike. I did change a few things to suit my preference/taste from the factory stock, but that's normal. Probably impossible to find a stock factory produced bike that has everything exactly the way you want it, so a few changes are most likely needed (but that's the fun part too!) What some people may hate, you may love! For instance I actuallly love the locking gas cap. On my previous sportster, I even purchased one to replace th stock cap. I don't find it an inconvenience (maybe since I've been used to this style of locking cap before). I like the peace of mind that nobody will mess with my fuel, by siphoning off gas or worse pouring something in there to mess up your ride!

After thinking about it for awhile though I did find something that is up there on my dislikes list which is the kick-stand. I don't like how they shaped it with how the bar sticks up and blocks your shifter when down. I know it's there to aid in when you flip it down but it kind of makes my foot always bump the peg awkwardly. Also mainly, in the past I always would like to start up my bike when it was on it's stand and kinda let the bike warm up as I would put on my helmet/gloves, etc. (anybody else do this?) Since I park the bike in gear, and with the stand down that bar that sticks out prevents me from getting my foot under the shifter to get it into neutral. The only way is for me to use my hand to pull the shifter up into neutral if I want to start my bike without getting on it and flipping up the stand to get my foot under the shifter. Wonder if they'll make any different kick-stands, would definitely look into changing it out. It may have been designed as a "safety" thing, since you would know if it was down before starting to ride off (however the kick-stand engine cut-off is there anyways so don't think it's that necessary).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hated the tiny tank ~ changed it for T120 one
Headlight ~ changed for 7" led
Indicators/rear light ~ fitted bar end indicators & Thrux R rear light
Cat ~ killed that straight away
Exhausts ~ fitted goldie's
Mudguards ~ lengthened both front & rear, with extra stays
Front brake ~ fitted bigger disc & 6 pot being made
Colour ~ booked in for paintjob
HATE HATE HATE speed restriction ~ too tech for me but am desperately waiting for someone to crack ecu

Really like this bike.
Was the T120 tank swap fairly easy?

Thanks. Bob

·
Registered
553 Posts
Was the T120 tank swap fairly easy?

Thanks. Bob
Not too bad, cut rear mounting off, bond flat mounting on to use front seat bolt seat bolt, stretch tank throat on left side a little to avoid crushing wiring, bend sender arm downwards a bit.
Usually top up takes around 13 litres.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts