Triumph Bobber Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Bobber Black
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve always wanted to travel with my bike and ride in different places all over.
So I’m interested in what about where you live makes it a good place to live/ride. What makes it not so good. Have you ever thought about another place you would rather live.

·
Registered
2017 Bobber & 2021 Street Triple R
303 Posts
I live in northern VA about 40 min outside of Washington, DC. I hate riding in my immediate vicinity due to traffic. The good news is, I'm only a quick 15 min ride to some of the best roads on the east coast. We have the blue ridge parkway, skyline drive, and endless lesser known twisties. If you want some good riding, try central VA, Southwestern VA, and Eastern TN.

·
Registered
2018 Bobber Black
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For me, I've had the opportunity to live in three states in the US. I grew up in upstate NY at the foot of the Adirondack mountains. Back then it was a lot more tolerable, but with the climate change, I'm happy I no longer live there. When I was 19 I quit my job and moved to California in the 80s and 90s'. It was good for a while as at the time you could ride year-round and it was helmet optional. I was a courier and put 42000 miles on my bike in a year. Back then I had two bikes, one for business and one for pleasure. It started to become less enjoyable when everything started to go through the roof expensive. We (my wife and I) came back to NY for a very short time and then got an opportunity in South Carolina. Again it is a year-round riding area, and also is helmet optional.
The state itself is very affordable, and there are a lot of great roads! My wife and I have been here 25 years. The downside is (and it has become even more pronounce) the summers are unbearably hot. The last month has the temps in the mid 100s with humidity. That makes it difficult for me so I find myself riding less than I did.

·
Registered
2018 Bobber Black
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I live in northern VA about 40 min outside of Washington, DC. I hate riding in my immediate vicinity due to traffic. The good news is, I'm only a quick 15 min ride to some of the best roads on the east coast. We have the blue ridge parkway, skyline drive, and endless lesser-known twisties. If you want some good riding, try central VA, Southwestern VA, and Eastern TN.
From 2013 through 2015 a group of us used to go to the mountains in western NC. A little town called Stecoah, NC, and we could ride to the Tail of the Dragon, and into TN. It was unbelievable!
I had a friend who lived in Woodbridge, VA. I stayed there for a while and I know what you mean by traffic! 😖

·
Registered
2019 Bobber Black
26 Posts
Northeast, right in the corner of mass, Vermont and new York so not to populated. Mostly back roads, rolling hills and long winding mountain roads, couple with access to some highways, so basically my choice of back road Twisties or high speed cruising.

Downside, of course is winter. Fills me with dread

·
Registered
2018 Bobber Black
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Northeast, right in the corner of mass, Vermont and New York so not too populated. Mostly back roads, rolling hills, and along winding mountain roads, couple with access to some highways, so basically my choice of back road Twisties or high-speed cruising.

The downside, of course, is winter. Fills me with dread
Winter still fills me with dread, It does get to freezing here but gets to the 40s in the day. If I was younger I would gear up and ride as I used to in the winter here. In NY rode up to the first snowfall. Got caught in a snowstorm many a time! 😎

·
Registered
515 Posts
Riding this road every weekend.

But seriously, Florida kinda sucks for riding bikes. Too **** hot, rains all summer, **** drivers. Straight roads. I miss the twisty backroads of Lancashire, UK.

·
Registered
2018 Bobber Black
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A 30 minute ride to to Rockies is the good, the bad the Rockies trap weather systems coming in off the coast. The system have to drop their moisture before they go up and over so lots of snow
I sure don’t miss the snow at all!

·
Registered
2018 Bobber Black
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Riding this road every weekend.

View attachment 51286

But seriously, Florida kinda sucks for riding bikes. Too ** hot, rains all summer, ** drivers. Straight roads. I miss the twisty backroads of Lancashire, UK.
I rode to Florida, Miami to be exact. I just remember it being sunny one minute, and pouring down rain the next.
I did like the weather overall though.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I used to live in North Carolina. North Carolina was a fantastic riding state for me. Just 15 min. out of my driveway I was in the country on beautiful two lane roads. The mountains were an easy day ride.
Now I live in California. I hate it. For a good ride I have to get up into the hills but I have to fight the bicyclists to get there. (They own the road. Just ask them.) Riding around Menlo Park is treacherous. I never know when some dope in a Tesla is going to pull out in front of me. Consequently my time on the bike has gone way down.

·
Registered
2018 Bobber Black
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I used to live in North Carolina. North Carolina was a fantastic riding state for me. Just 15 min. out of my driveway I was in the country on beautiful two lane roads. The mountains were an easy day ride.
Now I live in California. I hate it. For a good ride I have to get up into the hills but I have to fight the bicyclists to get there. (They own the road. Just ask them.) Riding around Menlo Park is treacherous. I never know when some dope in a Tesla is going to pull out in front of me. Consequently my time on the bike has gone way down.
I imagine it is probably a lot more hectic than it use to be. I can’t imagine what traffic is like now. 😩

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I rode to Florida, Miami to be exact. I just remember it being sunny one minute, and pouring down rain the next.
I did like the weather overall though.
I am a retired Army chaplain. My last assignment was Fort Stewart, Georgia. One of my duties was to go to Florida for funeral services for Vets. On one trip it was so hot and humid that when I finally got in my car and took my saucer cap off sweat just poured down my face. Consequently I never had a desire to ride in Florida.

·
Registered
2019 Bobber Black
26 Posts
Winter still fills me with dread, It does get to freezing here but gets to the 40s in the day. If I was younger I would gear up and ride as I used to in the winter here. In NY rode up to the first snowfall. Got caught in a snowstorm many a time! 😎
Yes sir. Many of times in March I was the only bike on the road, if it hits 45-50 and is sunny I don't care what month it is, I'm riding.

Seriously considering moving south however.

·
Registered
2018 Bobber Black
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
That is majestic!
A picture paints a thousand words 😍 View attachment 51292
Yes sir. Many of times in March I was the only bike on the road, if it hits 45-50 and is sunny I don't care what month it is, I'm riding.

Seriously considering moving south however.
If you’re young enough and have work, I recommend it. The roads here are awesome!, but it does get unbearably hot in the summer., and it’s only going to get worse. Climate change has taken a toll over the last five years. I’ve seen it first hand. 😠

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
In Alabama I see it first hand EVERYDAY. Usually I'm soaked with sweat by 9am. It's a pain to work in wet clothes all the time. C'mon fall

1 - 20 of 43 Posts