Triumph Bobber Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I spoke to one of the guys at British Customs over the phone and asked what he thought about the air box delete. He said the he wouldn't personally do it. I didn't quite understand why, maybe something about the fueling. Still on the fence about it and hope to hear more positive experiences that will help push me toward doing it.
Can any one else add to this with their experience?

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
^^ Interesting. Not sure if this is quite the same as Big Bear's experience, but I also immediately noticed a sort of "pause" that I get on a quick gunning of the throttle -- mostly when I just do it sitting at stop sign or the like. Feels like it's threatening to cut out, but never actually does. I assumed it was due to the booster plug that I installed at the same time as I did the pod filters/airbox delete, but now I am thinking otherwise.. Not enough for me to go back i don't think, cause I do love the look of the filters vs airbox, but yeah something going on there...
Did you do the 12 Minute Tune after making these changes? If not, that may make a difference.

Better way to explain it. Thank you. The power is there , but there is a hole (pause) when I grab full throttle in 4th gear (the gear I always roll around town in) that was not there prior to pulling the box. Yup , I like the pod look better too , but from a pure performance level (esp real world riding) , the box worked better. That is why I will reinstall it. Mine lost that stupid grin inducing pull it had on the box.
BB, do you have a BoosterPlug mounted as well, or no? Have you done the 12 Minute Tune after you experienced this performance issue?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've looked at some of the high Flow air filter systems and have to be honest in saying I would do it for the look rather than any improved performance issue which would of course be a bonus.
I like the covers on my BB so have been leaning towards the Free Spirits pack which doesn't require the air box removal. However, I am concerned about the position of the filters obstructing a comfortable/natural leg position. With this sort of system, if the pipes/hoses are extended/adapted, does this impact on the efficiency?

·
Registered
551 Posts
^^ Interesting. Not sure if this is quite the same as Big Bear's experience, but I also immediately noticed a sort of "pause" that I get on a quick gunning of the throttle -- mostly when I just do it sitting at stop sign or the like. Feels like it's threatening to cut out, but never actually does.

Did you do the 12 Minute Tune after making these changes? If not, that may make a difference?
I did.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I do not want to ditch the side panels ('bobber' has been removed)
But I will have to fit different filters of some kind, as even after modifying the stock filters they are still restricting power quite a bit.

·
Super Moderator
1,288 Posts
I must admit to having modified air filters and air boxes on just about every bike I've ever had, up to about ten years ago when I, ahem, grew out of it.

If a pair of K&Ns really was all you needed, that's what bikes would come with. The fact that bikes come with sometjhing more complex and expensive implies that they are needed.

Now sound is one thing that I get you can totally improve. You can make your bike louder with simpler filters. Looks too. The airbox delete bikes look way better IMHO. But for performance, and dull boring old reliability, can you really make things cheaper AND better? More top and, but no flat spots? More at the bottom, but the same at the top?

The manufacturer spend millions on that airbox, and we think that a couple of ten-buck pods can do the same job? Or a better job?

Which is not to say I won't do the air box delete myself. I like the looks! But best be prepared for something to give, either in power delivery or reliability.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I must admit to having modified air filters and air boxes on just about every bike I've ever had, up to about ten years ago when I, ahem, grew out of it.
If a pair of K&Ns really was all you needed, that's what bikes would come with. The fact that bikes come with sometjhing more complex and expensive implies that they are needed.
Now sound is one thing that I get you can totally improve. You can make your bike louder with simpler filters. Looks too. The airbox delete bikes look way better IMHO. But for performance, and dull boring old reliability, can you really make things cheaper AND better? More top and, but no flat spots? More at the bottom, but the same at the top?
The manufacturer spend millions on that airbox, and we think that a couple of ten-buck pods can do the same job? Or a better job?
Which is not to say I won't do the air box delete myself. I like the looks! But best be prepared for something to give, either in power delivery or reliability.
Triumph spent good money on the cylinderhead too, but that can be improved on easily in your own garage at minimal cost, just because Triumph fit something does not mean it is the best option.
The stock air filters do not like over 100hp so are of no use to me, will have to go another route, some of the pods used are too small and some too ugly (for me)

·
Super Moderator
1,288 Posts
Sure, I agree that you can change things to your specific preference. I just think making genuine improvements is hard. Changes are easy :grin2:

Ultimately you pay your money and make your choice. And I love what you've done with your bike, TriRocket.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Did you do the 12 Minute Tune after making these changes? If not, that may make a difference.

BB, do you have a BoosterPlug mounted as well, or no? Have you done the 12 Minute Tune after you experienced this performance issue?
I did it immediately after the install , but not since.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Lots of factors could cause the "hole". I haven't noticed any lack of power with the pods I chose. I did not install any additional fuel modification packs. I actually did a 20 minute tune. Why? That's how long it took for the fan to kick in, as it was done on a cold day. Perhaps the ECU needs more time than 12 minutes? I will be more mindful in the future to see if this happens in 4th though and will report if it does. I didn't go with K&N, the pods are small and designed for the Honda - has a sponge material instead of pleated paper. Perhaps it's a bit more restrictive? Again, lots of factors.

Reactions: BurgerBobber

·
Registered
713 Posts
I love my K&N RU-2760 pods. They are round and straight with plain black rubber ends , not chrome, just like when K&Ns originally came. So they have a simple, authentic "vintage look" to me. Plus they nestle into the Bobber frame perfectly, don't hit your legs, and provide a nice "see-through" look.

BTW, these are the ones A&J calls "Extra Long," So there is plenty of surface area to allow excellent flow with negligible restriction on a sub-100HP 2 cyl engine. Plus you can wash them.

-Gary

21 - 31 of 31 Posts