Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im really trying to figure out what mods I should invest in next. The pod filters look great and add a small performance boost.
For those of you that have a pair installed, do you think it is worth it? Do you like it?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I like it, gonna do when there are more options for the wire cover..

I see you guys are in SoCal, I'm reporting from Orange, near the Orange Hills restaurant..

·
Registered
512 Posts
I love the way mine look, compared with airbox/ side panels. Not sure I notice any performance difference; if there is it must be relatively small.

But, I was surprised that the engine is a good bit louder with pods rather than airbox. Don't mind it being a bit louder, but it makes me rethink doing an x pipe, which I had intended, cause it's loud enough now I think. What I don't like is that not only is the exhaust sound louder, but I hear more of the Triumph high-whine engine sound -- I guess the crankshaft..? Not sure what that sound is, but others will I think. It's sometimes described as the "sewing machine" sound, or a "Jetsons" sound.

So, some unintended side effects, but overall I am still glad I did it, mostly for aesthetics.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Did you use the viba cover?
No I did not. I wrapped some of the wires in tesa tape and tucked them nicely out of the way. The cover is a bit expensive for a piece of 3d printed plastic in my opinion. And if you take some time to clean up the wires it does not need a cover.
A super inexpensive way to replicate those covers is with a piece of kydex. Just heat it up and place it over top of the wiring and itll mold right over everything. I think a few sheets are like $15 usd so you have some to practice with too!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Why is that? And what air pod option do you have?
First off , I have the waterproof Sprint filters . I really like the look. I feel that on a direct , balls to the wall launch , they might give you just a smidgen better run through the gears. BUT , I note a distinct hole in the power when you are cruising along and want to throttle out of a gear , or just are horsing around and are goosing it just 'cause. That is where I ride 90% of the time , not Drag racing. It's there , and it's not in my head. I've been riding a long time , upon my suspicion , a buddy took it for a spin , and noted the same characteristic. She's no dead horse , but that grin inducing , very satisfying torque curve lost its luster.

That is why I will be going back to the stock air box.

For those interested , I did the "12 minute tune" , to no avail.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Thanks for letting those of us that haven't made the switch know. I've never wanted to ditch the side panels under the seat, but I thought about installing the smaller pod filters. If they hurt more than help, then I'll gladly skip it. Anyone else that's gone with the pods have a similar experience to Big Bear's?

·
Registered
55 Posts
First off , I have the waterproof Sprint filters . I really like the look. I feel that on a direct , balls to the wall launch , they might give you just a smidgen better run through the gears. BUT , I note a distinct hole in the power when you are cruising along and want to throttle out of a gear , or just are horsing around and are goosing it just 'cause. That is where I ride 90% of the time , not Drag racing. It's there , and it's not in my head. I've been riding a long time , upon my suspicion , a buddy took it for a spin , and noted the same characteristic. She's no dead horse , but that grin inducing , very satisfying torque curve lost its luster.

That is why I will be going back to the stock air box.

For those interested , I did the "12 minute tune" , to no avail.
This is really, really interesting because I've been considering the airbox delete myself, and this is the first time I've heard of this power band issue. I wonder if others will notice the difference now that it's called out. I'll be following this closely, so please update us on the results of your revert.

I actually like the muscular look that those side panels give the bike. I just REALLY dislike that dumbass (to me) "Bobber" name splashed on the side.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Never forget that the air box design is part of what the engineers worked on for quite a while designing any bike.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I want to start by saying that by no means am I saying Big Bear is wrong, not even close, I just haven't had the same experience after putting the same filters on my Bobber. She still rips and roars away no matter what when I twist the throttle open.

So, for those interested in filters I wouldn't let one negative review muddy the water, it's always worth trying yourself, and you really can try it out for very cheap and see how you feel before putting better filters on, or switching back.

And for Big Bear, that kinda sucks your bike feels that way, as the stripped down look the pod filters add is really cool!

Either way, the Bobber was never meant to be a rocket ship (that's why I have multiple bikes) but when I put the filters on it definitely came alive a little more, especially with that great intake noise being exposed now, and really completed the look I was going for.

Only one way to see what's happening, though, gotta throw the Bobber on the dyno and see what it says, maybe i'll try to find a local shop.... ;)

·
Registered
512 Posts
^^ Interesting. Not sure if this is quite the same as Big Bear's experience, but I also immediately noticed a sort of "pause" that I get on a quick gunning of the throttle -- mostly when I just do it sitting at stop sign or the like. Feels like it's threatening to cut out, but never actually does. I assumed it was due to the booster plug that I installed at the same time as I did the pod filters/airbox delete, but now I am thinking otherwise.. Not enough for me to go back i don't think, cause I do love the look of the filters vs airbox, but yeah something going on there...

·
Registered
509 Posts
Better way to explain it. Thank you. The power is there , but there is a hole (pause) when I grab full throttle in 4th gear (the gear I always roll around town in) that was not there prior to pulling the box. Yup , I like the pod look better too , but from a pure performance level (esp real world riding) , the box worked better. That is why I will reinstall it. Mine lost that stupid grin inducing pull it had on the box.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts