Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1841 - 1860 of 1962 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I was changing bars on a bike one time and let brake reservoir tilt a little and about 2 drops of fluid got on forks. Before I could wipe it off it started to peel. I'm sure triumph uses some good paint, after all they come back to England for the paint jobs. Not in Thailand
Tbf I've had a few drops over the res on this bike. wiped it off quick and no issue.

I dropped a bit of brake fluid on a painted tank once. Washed it off straight away and it didn't mark.

It is written in the bible that brake fluid destroys paint but I thought it was more a pour it all over the car of the guy you fell out with kinda thing, rather than instant paint stripper, can only speak for dot4 lol

·
Registered
358 Posts
I don’t know what sorcery Triumph are using in their paint factories but I’ve spent all day and two different paint strippers and not even a **** scratch!

·
Registered
358 Posts
That seems kind of weird Mr172. Sounds like " bullet proof" clear coat, maybe some sort of epoxy
I stripped the clear coat by doing an initial sand. I swear it looks like it’s powder coated to me (although paint stripper technically should also work on powder coat I believe). The paint stripper just wipes off without so much as leaving a mark. Very weird.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Exactly. I want to see how it looks bare metal first then if I don’t like it I’m taking it to my painter later in the week.
The bare metal does look good , could just sticl with a clear coat, could also go the direction of Mr Clean and chrome it. Havent seena bobber with a chrome tank myself yet, maybe someone else has...

·
Registered
358 Posts
The bare metal does look good , could just sticl with a clear coat, could also go the direction of Mr Clean and chrome it. Havent seena bobber with a chrome tank myself yet, maybe someone else has...
I’m probably going to get it as polished as I can but with a bit of a brushed look to it. Then slap some decals on it and get it clear coated. Not sure if I’ll do that myself but if I do I’ll probably go with the 2K matte/satin finish as the high gloss just makes it look like silver paint IMO.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Today I Cleaned the chain....... then the white walls....... then the whole bike😖 its looking plush tho View attachment 49409 View attachment 49410
Those white walls are clean, looks great! I saw a guy using white Kiwi brand shoe polish on a car , I was skeptical at first but it looked nice when he was done. Whats your trick to keep them bleached paper white?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Finally got down to lettering the tyres. Been so jealous seeing all the others here with it done. It taught me that the years have gifted me krap sight and shaky hands but the final result was worth the effort.

Much appreciation for the inspiration and motivation.
Peace n ride safe.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Those white walls are clean, looks great! I saw a guy using white Kiwi brand shoe polish on a car , I was skeptical at first but it looked nice when he was done. Whats your trick to keep them bleached paper white?
The secret is paraffin. Cheap as chips and does the job better than anything I've found. Just apply/work in with a bit cloth and then wash off.

It's also the best thing I've found for cleaning the chain.

You dont need a big bottle.
I bought a big bottle for a garden heater and a year in I've only used a fraction of it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
My tank badges have begun falling off. After seeing what Triumph charges for the OEM badges (stickers) I decided to look for another source and found these on eBay. Straight outta China. Price was right and I think they look cool. A little bit bigger than OEM and chrome color instead of black with kind of a retro vibe. I think it looks kind of cool on the red and silver tank.

As soon as I finished putting them on, I got a message from a guy I know who works at the local Triumph dealer and he got me a new set covered under warranty. I didn’t even know he was doing that but he noticed it when we were out in a group ride. Now I don’t know if I should leave them on or not since he went out of his way to hook me up.

·
Registered
Bobber Black
142 Posts
Got screwed !
View attachment 49384
First puncture I've had in about 20 years. At least I get to make use of Triumph Assist RAC cover.
View attachment 49385
And I've now added a 27mm socket to the tool kit as well :D
Well, that could have been a lot worse ! £25 (about $35) for a new inner tube fitted and the tyre plugged. Shout out to Micheldever Tyres (Protyre) in the UK. Tyres, MOT & Vehicle Servicing in Basingstoke, Winchester and Hampshire | Micheldever Tyre & Auto Services

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
My tank badges have begun falling off. After seeing what Triumph charges for the OEM badges (stickers) I decided to look for another source and found these on eBay. Straight outta China. Price was right and I think they look cool. A little bit bigger than OEM and chrome color instead of black with kind of a retro vibe. I think it looks kind of cool on the red and silver tank.
View attachment 49473
As soon as I finished putting them on, I got a message from a guy I know who works at the local Triumph dealer and he got me a new set covered under warranty. I didn’t even know he was doing that but he noticed it when we were out in a group ride. Now I don’t know if I should leave them on or not since he went out of his way to hook me up.
[/QUOTE)

sounds like that’s the kind of dealer we should all be lucky enough to have.

1841 - 1860 of 1962 Posts