Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gents,

Overall Triumph Bobbers and Speedmasters are somewhat rare out on the road and I think we have all been the grateful recipients of thoughtful compliments from other motorcyclists and the general public. My wife has often commented that if I'm out for a ride I always have to add time to my day to deal with all the questions..:laugh:

Yesterday I received a really nice compliment. A gentlemen crossed the car park to speak to me, quite clearly he had some knowledge of current Triumph models but said he was a little confused and "unfamiliar with this model of Triumph" and could I tell him more. As has been mentioned many times on the forum my 'Bobber' has morphed somewhat into a hybrid, a Speedbobber if you will, I'm totally fine with that as I have endeavored to create my own interpretation of a Triumph, so I was quite chuffed with his comments.

As I explained all that has been done, he went on to say that he loved the bike and it was near his dream bike, so I was pretty pleased.

So, can you share any of your own favorite compliments?

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
My coolest compliment came from a bar in Wisconsin last summer. My buddy and I pulled up for lunch and parked on a higher part of the slanted parking lot. When we walked in there were about 10 older patrons looking out the window at our bikes. They were all trying to figure out how old and what Make mine was. When I told them it was a brand new Triumph they were amazed and couldn't stop raving about how cool it looked and how awesome it was that a bike that looked so old has cruise control, traction control and anti-lock brakes. I don't ride it for the compliments though. I just love putting the effortless miles behind me.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One situation I have been constantly (but pleasantly) surprised about being and English Triumph rider here in the US, is just how many older chaps have come up to me and shared there experience with British bikes back in the 60's or 70's. I really had no idea British bikes were so popular back in the day, so it has been nice to learn this.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
962 Posts
One situation I have been constantly (but pleasantly) surprised about being and English Triumph rider here in the US, is just how many older chaps have come up to me and shared there experience with British bikes back in the 60's or 70's. I really had no idea British bikes were so popular back in the day, so it has been nice to learn this.

Cheerio,

Roy
There were fewer choices in the '60s in the US. The Japanese were not realy here yet. Most popular were HD, Triumph, Norton and BSA. There were some other minor players like Bultaco and believe it or not BMW was not very often seen.

Chico

·
Registered
191 Posts
There were fewer choices in the '60s in the US. The Japanese were not realy here yet. Most popular were HD, Triumph, Norton and BSA. There were some other minor players like Bultaco and believe it or not BMW was not very often seen.

Chico
one of the reasons British bikes were so popular in the US in the '50s and '60s was the lend lease pact https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lend-Lease. At least according to Wikipedia about 70% of Triumphs production went to the US to pay back the lend lease debts https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Engineering#Post-war_era. I did not know that until recently as a chap in Hinckley/UK pointed this out to me. This is one of the reasons you see mostly British bikes in the motorcycle movies of the '50s and '60s (The wild one with Marlon Brando or The Great Escape with Steve Mcqueen (funny German soldiers on Triumphs and not on Beemers)

·
Registered
962 Posts
one of the reasons British bikes were so popular in the US in the '50s and '60s was the lend lease pact https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lend-Lease. At least according to Wikipedia about 70% of Triumphs production went to the US to pay back the lend lease debts https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Engineering#Post-war_era. I did not know that until recently as a chap in Hinckley/UK pointed this out to me. This is one of the reasons you see mostly British bikes in the motorcycle movies of the '50s and '60s (The wild one with Marlon Brando or The Great Escape with Steve Mcqueen (funny German soldiers on Triumphs and not on Beemers)
My firs bike was a new BSA Lightning in 1966 followes by two Triumph Bonneville. At that time the price was around $1200.00. I wanted a Norton but that cost $100.00 more.
Those bikes were real leakers from day one, whenever I stopped they would mark their territory by leaving a small pool of oil. They were however great riding bikes, braking was a leasurely event.:surprise:

Chico

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've gotten lots of thumbs up from riders and non-riders alike. Probably the most memorable came one day I went to a local Harley dealership on my Bobber to procure some gaskets for a 3-hole change on my Harley. Soon as I pulled up and started taking my gear off, a small group of 1% MC members beat feat over to my bike.

I expected some **** for not riding a Harley, and touching sacred ground with another brand, but instead they struck up a conversation on how cool the bike looked, and asked what it was. When I told them it was a new Triumph, they were super cool with the brand and a couple of old dudes were telling me how they loved their older Triumphs "back in the day". Overall, they were respectful and never mentioned once that I should be riding a Harley.

This was not the experience I had once when riding a Yamaha VStar to a HD shop many years ago, where one guy threatened to kick the bike over in the lot.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi David,

A very nice and encouraging story, thanks for sharing it.

I called into a local HD dealership just as they were closing a few weeks back and within a few minuets most of the staff had come out to look at my Bobber and nothing but praise from them. Nice..:smile2:

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have to echo the many positive comments sentiment! Almost everywhere I go, and get off, someone comments and usually ask many questions. Same thing sitting in traffic, many thumbs up and "nice bike" from the surrounding vehicles.

But three really stand out as my favorites:

First one was shortly after I got it. I was riding around a neighborhood that was being rebuilt, and was stopped in front of a house belonging to someone I knew. A pickup truck pulled up beside me. The driver (a contractor working on a house a block away from where I stopped), in a heavy french accent asked, how much would I sell it to him on the spot for. I politely declined explaining my buying story and how much I loved it. Then after another offer, and a couple of compliments, I said goodbye and rode away, heading to our local Harley Shop (only bike shop in town) with getting an LED headlight in mind. When I got there, I went in made my inquiry, and a few minutes later, walked out again, to find the same fella in the parking lot taking pictures. After my initial panic, thinking he was casing it to steal, He excitedly told me he was in love with the Bike (in mixed french and english :laugh:) and was going to buy one asap. And that he wanted some reference pictures to show his local triumph dealer so he got exactly what he wanted. So I suspect there is a twin to mine somewhere in Quebec, or maybe New Brunswick.. :grin2:

The second one was a fella in a really nice Dodge Challenger, chasing me down in heavy traffic, to yell across two lanes an intersection "Nice F***in' Bike Man!". He then turned off, made a u-turn, and headed back the other direction..

But I think the funniest one yet, was just recently. I was sitting in traffic, again at a stop light, sort of spacing out watching the traffic and pedestrian's. When I noticed a fella walking up the side walk, do a double take, almost tripping over his own feet as he did it, with his mouth hanging open starring. When he noticed me noticing him, he gave me a 2 thumbs up, and mouthed "F***ing "A" Bubba!"with a huge grin on his face. It definitely got me laughing!!

I think I have told these elsewhere on this forum, so repeat. :grin2: Thinking about them makes me smile every time.

·
Registered
662 Posts
2 from me...

1. Bike outside just after I got it, and a "spotty youth" walks past as I'm cleaning it and says "Wow, that's a sick classic bike, I love it. How old is it? To which I responded "Four hours".

2. At a local bike meet, a tall distinguished looking very elderly gentleman saw the Speedy and talked about his days riding Triumphs, commenting how beautiful the bike looked, and was it a 500?...Nearly had to pick him off the ground when I said 1200.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts