Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Its same kind of thinking that has schools removing analog clocks because kids don't know how to read them, or transportation manufactures moving toward fully autonomous vehicles,,,

It will amount to a cultural loss. One brought about by nothing more than disinterest and laziness. Which, I think, is being instigated by a generation spoiled by an emerging culture geared (no pun intended) toward instant gratification.

ie: "if I can't look up how to do it on Google or YouTube and then do it right away, I can't be bothered"..

My 2 cents

Registered
My BMW K1200B has the ability to shift without a clutch. It's pretty much born from the racing technology. I can either shift with the clutch lever, or up/down without. It's not DCT, but pretty close. I like it and can see it being used on more bikes. But it's not for every bike. I don't think I would like it as much on a smaller bike like the Bobber. But.. I agree with the premise that it could introduce more riders to bikes. I suspect that's the draw for the neo-scooters like the Suzuki Burgmann. I'm not sure that an auto makes motorcycling safer though. That's a bridge too far.

Registered
I saw that article a few days ago and my first reaction was similar to @Great Black North. I agree, it's a "cultural loss." But, as I spend most of the year in Spain, a country with the most two wheeled vehicles per capita in Europe, I thought about how many riders (admittedly the majority are "scooters" although many as powerful as mid-size motorcycles), are probably riding, commuting, etc. without a clutch or shifting at all. Maybe there's something to the idea that if you never learned how to drive with a manual transmission, the idea of two wheels and learning how to use a clutch and shifting becomes one more obstacle to owning a motorcycle. And, let's face it, there's already enough reasons not to do it. Many of us probably grew up with manual transmissions (I've never even had one until recently and believe me, that's a long, long time :) so, it's not surprising that almost all the current younger generations have no experience with stick shifts. It will be interesting to see if any of the "automatic" transmission bikes do well in the marketplace, whether electric or otherwise. If so, then I'm all in favor of the manufacturers chasing that market and increasing the penetration of motorcycles. Whatever is good to help grow the industry is good for all of us. As far as I'm concerned, the more bikes on the road, the better (from an awareness standpoint, safety, and all around fun).

Registered
For me part of the joy of motorcycles is the engagement with the machine and road. There is a skill in riding well which makes a journey by motorcycle more demanding. Yes - there are DCT transmissions which do a lot of the work for you, which if I was doing a commuter plod every day I might consider. But I ride a motorcycle because I choose to make the effort to ride well, in all weathers.

To be sure, after a long ride I am tired, whereas the same journey by car is just boring. On a motorcycle the journey is a journey, not just sat there watching the world go by with little or no involvement with it. On the local roads I know every dip and hole, every gouge in the surface, where drain covers are on bends, farm driveways where there is often gravel or mud, even where the local horse riders go (which means piles of slippery stuff to avoid).

If more people take up bikes because they think it's easy to ride a motorcycle then my suggestion is that attitude has no place on the seat of a motorcycle worth riding.

Registered
No it won't help, I hate to say it but I think motorcycling's days are numbered. So enjoy it while it lasts!

In the UK and I'm guessing in the rest of the Western world, outside the cities motorcycling has become very much an old mans hobby. Virtually every biker I know or see on the road is 50plus! Millennials aren't interested, they've got other things to spend their money on and how would they post on social media while riding a bike? We're heading for a world where cars drive themselves and come with speed limiters fitted as standard (2022 in the EU). How will motorcycles fit into to this Health and Safety obsessed future?

Super Moderator
Judging by BMW & Honda鈥檚 new creations, bikes will not become obsolete as much as totally autonomous (when needed) and 鈥渦n-crashable鈥. Even kickstands will be a thing of the past with ride assist, gyro sensors, etc.

It鈥檚 inevitable that vehicles will HAVE talk to each other to avoid crashes when dumb a** humans text, talk and post online cr*p no one is interested in seeing while behind the wheel.
Last week I watched in amazement as a maxi-scooter rider was riding (well, weaving) on the motorway while texting on his mobile.

Yes, our petrol powered dinosaurs will probably be outlawed at some stage in the very, very distant future. However I strongly believe the passion for 2 wheels will live on long after we have all gone, even if they evolve into silent, battery powered tech-missiles.

Registered
Judging by BMW & Honda鈥檚 new creations, bikes will not become obsolete as much as totally autonomous (when needed) and 鈥渦n-crashable鈥. Even kickstands will be a thing of the past with ride assist, gyro sensors, etc.

It鈥檚 inevitable that vehicles will HAVE talk to each other to avoid crashes when dumb a** humans text, talk and post online cr*p no one is interested in seeing while behind the wheel.
Last week I watched in amazement as a maxi-scooter rider was riding (well, weaving) on the motorway while texting on his mobile.

Yes, our petrol powered dinosaurs will probably be outlawed at some stage in the very, very distant future. However I strongly believe the passion for 2 wheels will live on long after we have all gone, even if they evolve into silent, battery powered tech-missiles.
I hope you're right and I'm sure they'll be some awesome electric bikes in the very near future. But there's definitely been a cultural shift away from motorcycles and that's not just a problem for Harley Davidson.

Registered
Zero is already there.

Reactions: Roy

Registered
My local BMW, Ducati, Triumph dealership is having trouble selling his stock of Zero bikes. Maybe I could make a deal. >:)

Super Moderator
MOD sells Zero bikes here in Northern Va. I can say that I have never seen one on the road.

I still think that Buell one looks pretty cool!

Registered
I agree with the premise of this article that the lack of automatic motorcycles makes for fewer potential riders.

My own personal story - I started out not wanting to own a bike at all. Instead, it was my ruckus scooter and the fun to be had with a 50cc automatic scooter that first got me on two wheels. After that, it was only a matter of time before I felt confident enough to purchase and ride my first manual Honda 599.

The amount of skill needed to even get safely from point A to point B on a manual is perhaps something that experienced riders forget. A new rider is trying to manage shifting with a left foot, figuring out clutch friction zones and engagement points, trying not to overthrottle, and controlling braking safely. Oh, never mind having to follow traffic laws and play defense with real cars at real speeds!

I don鈥檛 think that introducing more automatic options to the market is the reflection of a 鈥渃ultural loss鈥. There would certainly be more 鈥渃ommuter鈥 riders that treat their bikes like appliances might grow, like you might see in other countries. And that鈥檚 fine too - this is a way for the culture at large to build more empathy for riders and maybe even more legislative consideration. But the on-ramp for a potential rider to get to motorcycle hobbyist/enthusiast would be softer and I think we would see those numbers grow.

Registered
Snowflakes will be snowflakes. There's no sense worrying about it. Just enjoy the remnants of the golden age and be thankful we'll be dead before masculinity is criminalized and internal combustion engines are illegal. Our great grandkids will have no idea what they missed out on.

-GPz/Gary

Super Moderator
I first got into bikes back in 1973 when my big brother got his first bike, a Honda C50 with...automatic transmission!

I鈥檓 writing this in 2019 in Shanghai, China, where the roads are full of young people hooning around on electric bikes.The future鈥檚 bright, and young people are creating their own lifestyles, not copying ours. Remember what our parents鈥 generation said about us?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts