Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were to buy this kit ( see pic below ) It would cost you around $650 yes I know sharp intake of breath ( lol no pun intended ) I just ordered two 50mm 180 degree aluminum tubing for $38 , they are 24" long winch means you can cut them to what ever length you want you could even cut them into a J pipe , Scotch Brit prime and paint black easy peasy ..I already have the pod filters . So my point Is $38 V $650 a no brainer really .

As the title says...Watch this space .

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
I felt the same way and I tried that and was unsuccessful. The sizing isn’t quite right and you’ll still need some sort of bracket to hold it properly.

I hope you succeed look forward, painfully, to hear if you do haha.

2017 Triumph Bobber NYC

·
Registered
28 Posts
How will you attach to the intake? would need some kind of rubber boot to jubilee both sides or something and would look pretty meh?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
How will you attach to the intake? would need some kind of rubber boot to jubilee both sides or something and would look pretty meh?

Exactly the same way the air intake Is attached to the throttle body .If It doesn't work out I'm down $38 oh well back to the drawing board .

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Work in progress...Cut and painted the pipes , until the jobs finished I'm still not sure about It . but this design covers up most of the wiring left behind from the air box delete . The only other thing I have to work out Is a bracket to hold It In place . Legs do not get in the way .
Let me know what you guys think .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
In my opinion, you're on the right track, but the pipe looks way too long to me (is it hitting the frame?). I totally understand the huge cost savings, but because of that it may be worth considering buying 2 of the U-shaped pipes, so you don't have to worry about cutting the curve off exactly in the middle. Let it wrap around a bit more and maybe take another 2+ inches off the straight part, so it has more of the Free Spirits-shaped curve to them and it would look really good. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Done.....The throttle body clamp holds It really tight. Its very light weight which helps a lot It doesn't hit the frame but not a lot of clearance so I used a couple of rubber sticky pads under the filter and intake pipe which should take care of any vibration against the frame. Ill be taking the bike out later today and give It some welly , hopefully the filters will still be there when I get home .

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
Not bad for a penny tech solution. Curious to hear what you think of it once you've ridden it. :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In my opinion, you're on the right track, but the pipe looks way too long to me (is it hitting the frame?). I totally understand the huge cost savings, but because of that it may be worth considering buying 2 of the U-shaped pipes, so you don't have to worry about cutting the curve off exactly in the middle. Let it wrap around a bit more and maybe take another 2+ inches off the straight part, so it has more of the Free Spirits-shaped curve to them and it would look really good. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah I thought that too...The shorter the pipe the closer to your legs I wanted as much air flow as possible . If for some reason this setup docent work that's something I might try . The beauty of doing something like this Is you can always put It back to stock . :wink2:

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Done.....The throttle body clamp holds It really tight. Its very light weight which helps a lot It doesn't hit the frame but not a lot of clearance so I used a couple of rubber sticky pads under the filter and intake pipe which should take care of any vibration against the frame. Ill be taking the bike out later today and give It some welly , hopefully the filters will still be there when I get home .
Really well done Mar-Vel. I am sadly lacking in skills like that.
But my wife tells me i make up for it in other ways........bless her :grin2:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just got back from a 50 mile ride some highway at around 80/85 mph , Im glad to report the filters are still on the bike no movement at all , Bike ran great at high speeds and around town in traffic , smooth throttle response no issues . I was thinking of installing a booster plug but I don't think Ill bother as Its running so well . overall I'm pretty pleased with the outcome and I'll probably leave It as Is at least until I get bored with It and try something else .

Thanx guys .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Off topic but what exhaust is that?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 17 of 17 Posts