Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Chaps,

This thread may not go very far due to lack of content but as I was watching some videos on vintage/antique Triumph Motorcycles I was wondering if any of our member has an example they would like to share.

I love really old bikes but just don't have the where with all to own any. My only 'claim to fame' was a 1979 Bonnie (see pic) but that was my 'winter bike' at the time (early 1980's) as my good weather bike was a Harley and I can't really call that 'antique'.

Anyway and without waffling on too much, if any of our members actually owns a vintage Triumph or used to own one and has pics, I would love to see them.

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
851 Posts
Hi Chico,

I'm pretty sure it's a 250 Superdream.

Cheerio,

Roy

Or, as it was nicknamed in the UK, the "wet dream"... I'll get me coat....

Reactions: Psychopasta

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Larry,

I had forgotten about that mate, brought back memories. I actually recall I owned one once. It was a second bike bought to get to work while my main bike was in bits. Only had it for a few months until it and I went 'bang' into a car turning across me. That was a nasty one. I survived but the 'Dream' turned into a nightmare..:surprise:

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
360 Posts
Here ya go mate! I've posted these somewhere here before, but thought I'd contribute them to your thread :smile2:

The photo of me on the chopper is from 1985; it was a 1959 5TA Triumph.
The other photos are of the same bike; taken at different stages of changes.
It was a Triumph 1979 T140D Bonneville Special.

Cheers!
mike

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
My favorites are builds by Dan Patterson .. it was his early builds (hand built English death traps) that caught my eye..
It was only a matter of time before I built my first ridgid triumph bobber
I'm still dealing with uploading photos .. check out his stuff at "angry monkey motorcycles"..
I've got a 56 pre-unit on my workbench.. ready to be resurrected ..

·
Registered
360 Posts
That's one cooooool bike Mike,

I bet you were the bees knees on that chopper.

Thanks for sharing,

Roy
Oh yes mate, I was the bees bollocks on that chopper!! >:)
Only problem was, you'll see on closer looking that the front wheel isn't straight in the forks!! So it was constantly pulling hard to the right :laugh:
I rode it like that from Devon/England to Paderborn/Germany, dropping into the '85 Kent Custom Show on the way! An adventurous trip indeed :laugh:
Oh yeah, and the cylinder-head gasket was blown on the right side, spraying oil all over my right thigh; which can also be seen in the picture.
Them were the days >:)

Cheers!
mike

Reactions: Roy

·
Registered
509 Posts
Roy , I've owned several vintage (relatively speaking) Honda's , but no Triumph motorcycles from the Meriden era. Looks like fun , and Love seeing the old iron , and a cool thread that is from the "real" picture days.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
I was so excited to run across these pics today! My wife's late father was the oldest of 10 kids, and he and 2 of his brothers (and a friend with the red and white Honda in the last pic) took a bike trip all the way around Lake Superior when they were in their early to mid 20's. My father-in-law is wearing the red helmet and brown fringed jacket in the first picture. I had no idea that he had a Triumph! He was a short guy, maybe 5'5" tall, so the bike looks big with him on it. I haven't taken the time to figure out what year Bonneville this is, or if it's even a Bonneville, although that was my initial guess.

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
Love these pics! I started riding in 1973 and haven’t stopped since. Reminds me of simpler times when a 350-650cc bike was enough and riding 2 guys up didn’t bring on crass remarks! I made many a trip to the UP with friends with bikes packed just like your father in laws! I had a Honda 450 like in your pics for my first road bike. ?

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great photos indeed,

I too love to remember the simpler times. In fact riding my Bobber is the best way to connect with those youthful memories of just being out on the bike. And now I get to create new memories. I think thins is one reason the Bobber has become some popular, it just connects us (young and old) with what biking has and always will be about.

Wonderful...:grin2:

That reminds me, due to my move last week I forgot to upload a Friday photo on my 'My Kind Of People' thread, so will dig our something tomorrow.

Happy Thanksgiving to all, being astride a Triumph gives me lots to be thankful for..:laugh:

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
3 Posts

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts