Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to say that I'm extremely dissatisfied.

After paying an exorbitant amount(even after a nice discount from the always wonderful A&J Cycles), I got my fancy schmancy Viba cover....

Only to find out its construction is poorly done for being the extreme price it is. Not only that, but due to it's poor construction the left panel has already cracked. Whether it be from the Texas weather, or from the fact that your instrument cluster is pretty tight in there, it's still throw away money if this is the end result within less than a years use.

All in all I'm just a little peeved that this product is worth over 200 USD whereas its value is more along the lines of 60-70 USD.

(Pay no attention to the yellow wire. I know)

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
200 USD for a 3D print job, wow!

·
Registered
73 Posts
You at least got a year out of yours. I had mine installed at a dealer with a bunch of other stuff and when I got home I realized the left side was broken off. Not sure if it was that way when I left the dealer or broke off on the way home but I think it’s the former. Just got my new one and installed it myself, if this one breaks I’m going to be officially annoyed.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Agreed. Mine has not broken yet, but it is definitely a cheap piece. It's faded and discolored quite a bit after a few months. Would be very nice if someone made a higher quality version of this wouldn't it..?

·
Registered
652 Posts
I’ve made myself stuff from Kydex in the past. This seems like it’d be a good application depending on how hot the area gets. If it doesn’t get hotter than 300°F for 1mm Kydex, it should resist cracking well. For you guys with a broken Viba cover, you could use that to make a Kydex mould.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You at least got a year out of yours. I had mine installed at a dealer with a bunch of other stuff and when I got home I realized the left side was broken off. Not sure if it was that way when I left the dealer or broke off on the way home but I think it’s the former. Just got my new one and installed it myself, if this one breaks I’m going to be officially annoyed.

Wow, at least I'm not the only person. I feel a little relieved knowing this

I’ve made myself stuff from Kydex in the past. This seems like it’d be a good application depending on how hot the area gets. If it doesn’t get hotter than 300°F for 1mm Kydex, it should resist cracking well. For you guys with a broken Viba cover, you could use that to make a Kydex mould.

What is this and how do I go about doing this? I was originally trying to find another person with a 3D rig that lets me print material that's stronger than soda bottle plastic, but I can't find anything like that around me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed. Mine has not broken yet, but it is definitely a cheap piece. It's faded and discolored quite a bit after a few months. Would be very nice if someone made a higher quality version of this wouldn't it..?

Yes, I was planning on either making my own STL so people can produce it with whatever they want from a 3D printer, or remake it with aluminum and then paint it.

·
Vendor
448 Posts
I don’t disagree with pricing on the part, but that is what we have to charge for them to bring them in France. And while they are 3D printed, from my buddy that is a wizard in 3D printing, they are actually not cheap to make. It is a special Kind of material and printer made.
Viba have benefited from being the only game in town. That being said, we have a few local customers that we have installed them on well over a year ago, without any issues.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If anyone wants to sell me their broken Viba cover I would be interested in using it as a template for a new version. Since I could use a few covers it’s worth the cost of my trying to make them from aluminum or stainless and have it powder coated.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hey Guys.

I was of the same opinion, was not paying that ridiculous amount for a piece of plastic (no offence Brian), so I went this route,,

Not sure how handy you all are, but, here is an option, It takes a bit of effort, but is worth it I think.

DIY Air Box Delete

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hey Guys.

I was of the same opinion, was not paying that ridiculous amount for a piece of plastic (no offence Brian), so I went this route,,

Not sure how handy you all are, but, here is an option, It takes a bit of effort, but is worth it I think.

DIY Air Box Delete

Yeah that looks good, but not something I'm set up to do myself I am afraid. In other news, how do you like your La Rosa seat?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yeah that looks good, but not something I'm set up to do myself I am afraid. In other news, how do you like your La Rosa seat?
Aesthetically, I love it. It is a bad a$$ look. But my skinny arse and that little badge start to disagree after about 10 minutes of riding. I have ordered a custom job from Alex Leather Craft for everyday use. But, I will likely keep this seat as a "show" seat, although I think it'll likely get upstaged by the Alex Leather one.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Aesthetically, I love it. It is a bad a$$ look. But my skinny arse and that little badge start to disagree after about 10 minutes of riding. I have ordered a custom job from Alex Leather Craft for everyday use. But, I will likely keep this seat as a "show" seat, although I think it'll likely get upstaged by the Alex Leather one.

Just looked through your webpage, linked in your profile, which gives a very nice write up on your bobber and its mods! Just curious -- Looks like you used to have the statement seat? How would you compare the La Rosa to it for comfort? I have the statement seat now and really like both its look and its seating position; it's only the lack of padding that gets me after an hour or so..

·
Registered
540 Posts
Just looked through your webpage, linked in your profile, which gives a very nice write up on your bobber and its mods! Just curious -- Looks like you used to have the statement seat? How would you compare the La Rosa to it for comfort? I have the statement seat now and really like both its look and its seating position; it's only the lack of padding that gets me after an hour or so..
Yeah, I had the statement seat right from the get go (still have it,, somewhere? :D). I really like the way it looked on the bike, some what understated, perfectly suited to the bike. But comfort wise, it had my rear section numb in about 1/2 hour.

Comparatively, the La Rosa really stands out, and is more comfortable as far as the padding goes, and the shape keeps you in place a bit better than the statement seat, but that badge is a right pain, as it lines up perfectly with the end of my tail bone.

I currently have 3 seats (4 if I count the original flawed one from La Rosa ;see Ryhs Browns "New Saddle" thread)
and I keep going back to the stock seat for everyday riding.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts