Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Contrary to my wife, I can "tighten my belt". Over the winter, while I am socking away a few bucks every couple of weeks for that "high dollar part I just gotta have" for the Bobber... I ease my cravings about $30 at a time. It was relatively tolerable today (50 degrees F), so spent some time:

• Adding sprocket nuts (Thanks AJ Cycles for the discount!). Not only do I think the anodized yellow really works, these nuts are a bit more substantial than the Triumph OEM ones they replaced. Cool, and functional.
  • Adding the vertical license plate mount. I dig the short, simple styling of the mount. It's a beefy metal, well done for about $20. Best of all, zero mods to make it work.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Looks great. I dig the nuts. Nice accent to that area. Prob looks interesting when the wheel is in motion as well.

I am in Va as well; is it legal to run the plate like that here?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Contrary to my wife, I can "tighten my belt". Over the winter, while I am socking away a few bucks every couple of weeks for that "high dollar part I just gotta have" for the Bobber... I ease my cravings about $30 at a time. It was relatively tolerable today (50 degrees F), so spent some time:

• Adding sprocket nuts (Thanks AJ Cycles for the discount!). Not only do I think the anodized yellow really works, these nuts are a bit more substantial than the Triumph OEM ones they replaced. Cool, and functional.
  • Adding the vertical license plate mount. I dig the short, simple styling of the mount. It's a beefy metal, well done for about $20. Best of all, zero mods to make it work.

Which plate mount is that..? (Looks very cool.)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Looks great. I dig the nuts. Nice accent to that area. Prob looks interesting when the wheel is in motion as well.

I have the same kind of set up ...Legal or not cops don't seem to mind . >:)

·
Registered
137 Posts

It's a Bobber... and therefore, above the law. Everyone knows that, even police.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

I asked 2 dealerships in Virginia if it was legal, both whole heartedly said yes, no problem in Virginia. I also asked If it would be a problem with me riding in
other States and they stated no problem

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
I asked 2 dealerships in Virginia if it was legal, both whole heartedly said yes, no problem in Virginia. I also asked If it would be a problem with me riding in
Good deal. Where at in Va are you? Coffee....cigar....brewery.....stair at bikes.....

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good deal. Where at in Va are you? Coffee....cigar....brewery.....stair at bikes.....

I'm in Northern Virginia too... so very doable. Would be nice to meet another Bobber owner. PM me. I know a place we can do cigars and beer indoors.

D

·
Registered
530 Posts

I am in MD, where it is not legal, and I've gotten mixed stories about how often one might get a ticket. Mostly not, but they can get you here if they want. Was also told by a long time rider that they will get you in DC more often. But seems to depend on luck...

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For Virginians, here is a good motorcycle legal site: Motorcycle Law Group

As for the specific legalities regarding plate placement:

How license plates fastened to vehicle; altering appearance of license plates (§ 46.2-716).

Comment: The main thing is that the plate must be visible. For some reason some members of law enforcement believe that if you mount the plate vertically as opposed to horizontally that you are violating this statute. Nothing in this statute forbids the vertical mounting of license plates.

A. Every license plate shall be securely fastened to the motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer to which it is assigned:
1. So as to prevent the plate from swinging,
2. In a position to be clearly visible, and
3. In a condition to be clearly legible.

B. No colored glass, colored plastic, bracket, holder, mounting, frame, or any other type of covering shall be placed, mounted, or installed on, around, or over any license plate if such glass, plastic, bracket, holder, mounting, frame, or other type of covering in any way alters or obscures (i) the alpha-numeric information, (ii) the color of the license plate, (iii) the name or abbreviated name of the state wherein the vehicle is registered, or (iv) any character or characters, decal, stamp, or other device indicating the month or year in which the vehicle’s registration expires. No insignia, emblems, or trailer hitches or couplings shall be mounted in such a way as to hide or obscure any portion of the license plate or render any portion of the license plate illegible.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Out here in California, I would be concerned that there is no night light on it. Many of my choppers didn't have it but that was years ago and the popo in Cali are looking for revenue anywhere they can get it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Out here in California, I would be concerned that there is no night light on it. Many of my choppers didn't have it but that was years ago and the popo in Cali are looking for revenue anywhere they can get it.

True - the VA code has a statute that outlines: "Alternatively, a separate white light shall be so mounted as to illuminate the rear license plate from a distance of 50 feet to the rear of such vehicle."

I have some illuminated plate bolts that will do the trick. I just haven't put them on yet. I only installed the license plate to the mount as a "mock up". That may be something I look to do today. :eek:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
True - the VA code has a statute that outlines: "Alternatively, a separate white light shall be so mounted as to illuminate the rear license plate from a distance of 50 feet to the rear of such vehicle."

I have some illuminated plate bolts that will do the trick. I just haven't put them on yet. I only installed the license plate to the mount as a "mock up". That may be something I look to do today. :eek:

Due to my vertical plate being curved instead of straight, the 2/4 bolt lights didn't work out as well as I had hoped. The center of the plate did not get illuminated. Also, the wiring job would have been a mess with 8 wires to tie together. However, I designed a more elegant solution that sprayed 3 LEDs evenly across the curved plate, and was a pretty simple job to wire. The light cost me $12 USD. I fashioned a mount out of some high-density foam I had laying around - a bit of spray paint and viola.

Also, I had a metal plate made up citing the state code for my vertical plate, in case Mr. PoPo decides to read me his version of the riot act. I'll mount it to the back of the of the bracket.>:)

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
Due to my vertical plate being curved instead of straight, the 2/4 bolt lights didn't work out as well as I had hoped. The center of the plate did not get illuminated. Also, the wiring job would have been a mess with 8 wires to tie together. However, I designed a more elegant solution that sprayed 3 LEDs evenly across the curved plate, and was a pretty simple job to wire. The light cost me $12 USD. I fashioned a mount out of some high-density foam I had laying around - a bit of spray paint and viola.

Also, I had a metal plate made up citing the state code for my vertical plate, in case Mr. PoPo decides to read me his version of the riot act. I'll mount it to the back of the of the bracket.>:)
My hero. Good job, bro. Elegant and really like the plate for the fuzz to read and learn. >:)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Will you be removing the cross hanging from the rear fender?0:)

Chico

Virginia has a problem with Vampires... I may keep it. Skeleton Crucifix? :wink2:

Baby steps... I got all winter and I'm looking at the new Motone and British Customs tail options to come out in 2019. I've toyed with the idea of X-Arc and other side light options, but I kinda like a more compact tail fender option.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just installed a short fender and like the clean look of your plate.
Do you recall if its is the 0.75" or 1" bracket for our bikes?
And did you mount to the axle bolt? On mine it doesn't look like there'll be enough thread.
I mounted the 0.75 directly on the axle bolt. There is plenty of room for the plate and nut.

David

1 - 19 of 19 Posts