Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if changing out for this exhaust makes the bike considerably louder than it is? I am wondering if it is more of a deeper rumble than it is louder. I don't want a super loud bike, I like how loud it is now but wondering if the sound is noticeably better.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Does anyone know if changing out for this exhaust makes the bike considerably louder than it is? I am wondering if it is more of a deeper rumble than it is louder. I don't want a super loud bike, I like how loud it is now but wondering if the sound is noticeably better.
Hey Steve, first of all just general security I would change you username to something that isn't your email, secondly I have the Vance and Hines exhaust, along with an x-pipe and it is a fantastic deep throaty roar when you get on it, otherwise it is fairly tame at idle (although still deeper than stock) and really opens up nicely when you roll on the throttle!!

Tough to justify with the price, I know, but I had issues with the Gasser Customs pipes I ordered, and I knew these would fit perfectly and sound great! If you have the money, I say go for it. It is a great addition of grunt, and has a nice look (IMO).

Otherwise, Gasser Customs are an option for roughly half the price (they sound great, too, but some have finish issues, and might be louder than you want), Zards are another pricey option, i'm not a fan of the Trident (they just don't look 'right' to me), BC has some really nice sounding pipes if you want to keep the cat in place that will make it sound nice and deep too.

Long winded, but basically I think it is worth it if you want to keep that look.
If you want shorter and more affordable pipes - BC and Gasser
If you want a different look and more expensive - Zard
If you want a similar stock look with more grunt - Vance and Hines

If you hung through all that reading, I hope this helps and good luck!

Lastly, if I were to do it again, and money didn't matter, I think the Zards in black (I have a bobber black) look killer and the copper color logo finish goes great with the gas cap and shift peg I have as well.

Happy hunting, and post videos when you make the swap!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey Steve,

I had the chance to compare the stock exhaust with the Vance & Hines and they are not much louder but as mention by Captain French, they sound deeper and better.

I had a Yamaha Bolt with the Vance & Hines slipon and it was much much louder than this.

So if you want a little more sound, they might be a good choice for you!

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Very informative post , @CaptainFrench

Steve, I also recommend doing a search. It’ll be long and exhausting (get it :laugh:) but there are ALOT of great posts and videos regarding slip ons. So many, in fact that even I can’t keep track of them !

Best of luck and hope you find the answer you’re looking for.

·
Registered
96 Posts
CaptainFrench which brand of xpipe did you install? I am running the Vance & Hines on my Bobber now. I know there are lots of opinions out there but interested in what you have based on your comment. Thanks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
CaptainFrench which brand of xpipe did you install? I am running the Vance & Hines on my Bobber now. I know there are lots of opinions out there but interested in what you have based on your comment. Thanks.
Apologies for the long delay, been very busy lately. I have the free spirits x-pipe, haven't had any issues and it let me keep the stock guard.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey Steve, first of all just general security I would change you username to something that isn't your email, secondly I have the Vance and Hines exhaust, along with an x-pipe and it is a fantastic deep throaty roar when you get on it, otherwise it is fairly tame at idle (although still deeper than stock) and really opens up nicely when you roll on the throttle!!

Tough to justify with the price, I know, but I had issues with the Gasser Customs pipes I ordered, and I knew these would fit perfectly and sound great! If you have the money, I say go for it. It is a great addition of grunt, and has a nice look (IMO).

Otherwise, Gasser Customs are an option for roughly half the price (they sound great, too, but some have finish issues, and might be louder than you want), Zards are another pricey option, i'm not a fan of the Trident (they just don't look 'right' to me), BC has some really nice sounding pipes if you want to keep the cat in place that will make it sound nice and deep too.

Long winded, but basically I think it is worth it if you want to keep that look.
If you want shorter and more affordable pipes - BC and Gasser
If you want a different look and more expensive - Zard
If you want a similar stock look with more grunt - Vance and Hines

If you hung through all that reading, I hope this helps and good luck!

Lastly, if I were to do it again, and money didn't matter, I think the Zards in black (I have a bobber black) look killer and the copper color logo finish goes great with the gas cap and shift peg I have as well.

Happy hunting, and post videos when you make the swap!
Hi cap’n French

Just jumping on the back of this!
With your V&H pipes and Decat did you get a remap done or did you just run the 12 minute scinario??
Many thanks
N

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi cap’n French

With your V&H pipes and Decat did you get a remap done or did you just run the 12 minute scinario??
Many thanks
N
Apologies for the delay... And no remap as my dealer here in NH USA said there was no other map for it, so I just did the 12 minute tune.

Before I did that tune, I had just the BoosterPlug installed and the bike ran phenomenally anyways, the 12 minute tune just made it a hair better to be perfect.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Having fitted V+H fairly soon after getting my bobber, I didn't think there was much difference.

Then when having my service I took out a Bobber Black with standard pipes. Now knowing my V+H and going back to standard was a better comparison.
Not much difference on tick over but when letting rip, the V+H are deffo throatier and louder. Not too loud (for me) but more aggressive (for me).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi cap’n French

Many thanks
N
Apologies for the delay... And no remap as my dealer here in NH USA said there was no other map for it, so I just did the 12 minute tune.

Before I did that tune, I had just the BoosterPlug installed and the bike ran phenomenally anyways, the 12 minute tune just made it a hair better to be perfect.
Thanks for the reply
So fitted the Tec Xpipe and US spec Black V&H
Initially a bit lumpy on excelleration
And continued to be for the duration of the ride so went back home.
It was late so didn’t want to do the 12 min tune as the bike is now ‘load’
A lot more so than my 15 spec scrambler with debaffled Arrow though to be expected for a 1200 with basically straight through pipes.
Next morning run her up until Dan cut in and left for 12 mins, switched it off had Tea and went out for a ride.
Oh yes much better lots of boost and torque across the range. I would say it was a reasonable change in regards to the engine power use.
After 20-30 miles I do think it feels more settled.
Sound wise yeh it’s good though not annoying while cruising just a deeper thrum!
Open her up or give it a blip and things take on another divercity very raw and great growl.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks for the reply
So fitted the Tec Xpipe and US spec Black V&H
Initially a bit lumpy on excelleration
And continued to be for the duration of the ride so went back home.
It was late so didn’t want to do the 12 min tune as the bike is now ‘load’
A lot more so than my 15 spec scrambler with debaffled Arrow though to be expected for a 1200 with basically straight through pipes.
Next morning run her up until Dan cut in and left for 12 mins, switched it off had Tea and went out for a ride.
Oh yes much better lots of boost and torque across the range. I would say it was a reasonable change in regards to the engine power use.
After 20-30 miles I do think it feels more settled.
Sound wise yeh it’s good though not annoying while cruising just a deeper thrum!
Open her up or give it a blip and things take on another divercity very raw and great growl.
Awesome! Glad it worked out well!! Enjoy!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts