Triumph Bobber Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my used 2019 Bobber Black with just 787 miles on it.
It's using about a quart of oil in roughly 120 miles of riding. Anyone have similar issues or does anyone know what the problem/issue is?
No leaks, smoke or smell of any kind.
Thanks in advance for any help I can get!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Losing a quart of oil? has to go somewhere.

If it ain't all over your rear tire and you're still upright then I might suspect an incorrect reading. You using the dipstick or eyeballing the window meniscus. Bike stationery, ignition off and level (not on side-stand).
Bike stationary, upright, ignition off, level and eyeballing it through window...all correct.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, just talked to an auto mechanic, who also rides, and he told me a friend of his had an early 80s Harley Davidson with a similar issue and said to check the primary, as it was pooling oil...? He was working at the time and didn't have time to elaborate.

·
Registered
534 Posts
That's a lot of oil in a short distance. You would expect to see smoke if it was burning it, or a right mess if it was leaking that much.

There have been oil leaks via a wiring seal or engine gallery plug but you'd see a mess under the bike to be losing a quart.

I have noticed that it doesn't take much variation in the level of the bike to alter the level in the viewing port. Are you sure you're getting a consistent reading?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am building a front wheel chock to get more accurate oil level readings. You were right Taurus, about it doesn't take much of the bike being off of level to affect it.

Had help to verify level and found that my one handed attempt to keep it upright was making the reading off quite a bit...half quart or better by the looks of it. User error seems likely at this point.

2 and a half decades ( and different bike manufacturers ) between bike ownership has made me stupid, I guess.

Never too old to being made humbled. Haha

Thank you all for weighing in!

·
Registered
399 Posts
The easiest checks are the ones you do first. To see if it's being burned, pull the spark plugs and see if they are oil covered. If not, it's a leak. If there is no oil on the outside of the engine case then it's Operator error. Loosing a quart of oil in 120 miles either the spark plugs should be totally fouled or the bike is swimming in a pool of oil on the side stand.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's using about a quart of oil in roughly 120 miles of riding. Anyone have similar issues or does anyone know what the problem/issue is?
I bought a used bobber with 10,000 miles on it, I would have been sick if it was loosing that much oil. I made a leveling stand by screwing a 4X4 and a 2X4 together about 12” long. I ripped it on my table saw to the point where it would just slide under the frame just forward of the kick stand. This holds the bike pretty level, definitely better than trying to hold the bike level kneeling beside the bike and looking at the sight glass.

·
Registered
46 Posts
bassmyster,
Throw a picture up of your device.
Might inspire others to do the same. 😎
Mysftail asked me to post some pictures of a stand I made out of a 4X4 and a 2X4. The over all height is 4 7/8” and a length of 12”. I Radiused the top corners for easier installation. You can slide the stand under the front frame tubing just forward of the kick stand. This stand will allow you to level the bike for checking the oil level through the sight window.

Attachments

·
Registered
497 Posts
Had to check the date. Pretty sure it wasn't April 1st. Then had to hope Max Hoodie didn't go ahead and add a quart to arrive at that summation. (As a quick check, sit on the bike and take a hundred photos with your phone pointing more or less at the sight glass. One of them will usually give you a rough estimate.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts