Triumph Bobber Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I’ve rode HDs for a number of years, owning the Dyna Low Rider and ridden lots of miles on the V-Rod, Fat Bob, FatBoy and Softtail DeLuxe. I now own an Indian
Scout (more on that in a minute) and the Triumph Bobber. I really have trouble making direct comparisons with HDs and the Bobber. Such incredibly different bikes, designed IMO, for different purposes. I’m also a general believer in all motorcycles are good, just depends on your needs and what you’re looking for. Harleys have a unique feel and sound and while they may not be the most responsive performance oriented bikes, they can be fun to ride for long distances particualry if highways are involved. But bikes like the Bobber speak to you in a totally different way. One look at it says it all. And one good ride and you’ll feel it to your core. As far as the Scout, it’s a pretty responsive yet way lighter weight cruiser than what HD offers (at least when I bought mine). I use it for longer multi day rides. The Bobber i use around town and for day rides. Love them both.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Got to admit that I did pop down to a HD dealer for a test ride on half a dozen Harley's last year (the sun even came out), after trying the 6 and not feeling happy on any of them I was offered a final test ride on another one and wow, it sounded good, there was no vibration at all, it pulled like a steam train and roared into 3 figures with aplomb (about 2 weeks before i bought the bobber).

What killed the deal is when he told me that for the same as the one i had just ridden I would be looking at a 'Stage 3' and would get a little change from £32k or more if I wanted a whole new S&S engine instead.... I can't come remotely close to justifying that amount for anything on 2 wheels except maybe the odd vintage Brough or Vincent (or a jet turbine wrapped in a faring)

So i'm afraid my largest amount of experience with a HD is "doing virtually anything I can to get past them so i stand a chance of keeping my hearing intact" (Not that i would be adverse in inflicting the same amount of noise damage to anyone behind me lol)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I had owned a Harley Nightster and I must admit I did really like that bike, in some ways it reminds me of the new bobber. It handled very well and very inexpensive to run. The great part of owning a Harley among other things is that I resold it for the same price that I had bought it for used.

Several months ago I agreed with a buyer of a used sporster 48, i absolutely love the way it looks, stance and all. The peanut tank may be impractical but it sure looks great in my opinion. Then I don’t know what happened, maybe because I own a Thruxton and love the bike, I decided to look at the bobber and read on it’s handling, I was sold.

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
I had owned a Harley Nightster and I must admit I did really like that bike, in some ways it reminds me of the new bobber. It handled very well and very inexpensive to run. The great part of owning a Harley among other things is that I resold it for the same price that I had bought it for used.

Several months ago I agreed with a buyer of a used sporster 48, i absolutely love the way it looks, stance and all. The peanut tank may be impractical but it sure looks great in my opinion. Then I don’t know what happened, maybe because I own a Thruxton and love the bike, I decided to look at the bobber and read on it’s handling, I was sold.
The Nightster was what I was eyeballing....and the Street Twin, then the Bobber news came out, watched that, and once they release prices, ordered it the next week or so.....

But yeah the Nightster does have a nice stripped down look to it. My preference for sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can give you a comparison between the Bobber and an Indian Chief, because I own one. Like some of the others have said, I definitely feel more one with the road on the Bobber. The Indian is a chariot, the Bobber is a wild Mustang.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My wife rode a 2015 48. We sold it and after a few months without a bike we bought her a Street Twin. She loved it but missed the upright cruiser feeling.

We went back to back and road 4 new bikes: 1) HD 48 2) HD Iron Special 3) Bobber Black and 4) Bobber. She ended up going with the bobber, mini apes, x cat delete, V&H slip ons etc. Her reasoning: the bobber wasn’t nearly as top heavy, felt lighter (even though its only about 20 lbs different), was significantly faster, has more options (traction control, gas gauge, stock ABS, heated grips etc) and handled way better (turn in, cornering, low speed etc). Even though she had loved her HD 48; she was giggling and yelling over our Sena’s riding the bobber.

Why bobber vs bobber black? She’s only 105 pounds. To her (and I reluctantly agreed) the suspension is much softer and the front end is lighter on the bobber. The bobber black is definitely stiffer and the front end is heavier. Neither would have mattered to me and I would have gone for the better brakes, wider forks and cruise control. But at 105lbs it mattered to her and I want her 100% conformtable=safe. A win-win either way as I get to ride her Bobber when I’m not riding the Rnine T :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
My wife rode a 2015 48. We sold it and after a few months without a bike we bought her a Street Twin. She loved it but missed the upright cruiser feeling.

We went back to back and road 4 new bikes: 1) HD 48 2) HD Iron Special 3) Bobber Black and 4) Bobber. She ended up going with the bobber, mini apes, x cat delete, V&H slip ons etc. Her reasoning: the bobber wasn’t nearly as top heavy, felt lighter (even though its only about 20 lbs different), was significantly faster, has more options (traction control, gas gauge, stock ABS, heated grips etc) and handled way better (turn in, cornering, low speed etc). Even though she had loved her HD 48; she was giggling and yelling over our Sena’s riding the bobber.

Why bobber vs bobber black? She’s only 105 pounds. To her (and I reluctantly agreed) the suspension is much softer and the front end is lighter on the bobber. The bobber black is definitely stiffer and the front end is heavier. Neither would have mattered to me and I would have gone for the better brakes, wider forks and cruise control. But at 105lbs it mattered to her and I want her 100% conformtable=safe. A win-win either way as I get to ride her Bobber when I’m not riding the Rnine T :)

I agree with your wife. I sat on a few Harleys, one of them being the 48, and I had a devil of a time popping it upright. And I was slightly nervous that if I could barely lift it up, that it would just manhandle me. I know there are many small women out there riding big bikes just fine, but just my personal experience. The Bobber felt lightweight and easy in my hands. It was actually far easier cornering the Bob vs a scrambler (I have ridden the R nineT and owned a Ducati) as I felt the need to use the handlebars more with the scramblers and it is far easier to lean into the turns and corners with the Bob with its low center of gravity. It's a bike I'm not intimidated by. I love it and super happy I went with Triumph.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts