Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clicky Here

Well as it says in the headline, Triumph offshoring all standard UK production to Asia.

I have stuck by Triumph for about the past 20 years now but that's probably a final nail into the coffin for me ever purchasing one again I want to say I own a Brit bike, not an Asian.

·
Registered
329 Posts
If you are only gonna ride British made bikes only you are narrowing your bike choice down to some pretty shitey pricey bikes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Why do you need to "say" you own any bike? Bit snobby. You must have a nightmare trying to buy TV, Phone, clothing etc etc.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Triumph are still a British company, no matter where their bikes are actually assembled,but they have to do what is best to thrive in a global market.
I will buy any bike that peeks my interest no matter who makes them or where they are made,
that's why I have 6 Triumphs, 2 BSA's, 3 yamaha's, 2 BMW's a Suzuki and am looking at the latest Royal Enfield twin.

·
Super Moderator
695 Posts
Well as it says in the headline, Triumph offshoring all standard UK production to Asia.

I have stuck by Triumph for about the past 20 years now but that's probably a final nail into the coffin for me ever purchasing one again I want to say I own a Brit bike, not an Asian.
...but you already ride a Triumph that's not made in the UK????

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’m against China made products. Period. It’s all corporate greed.
Uhh... What backwater town do you live in? The cellphone or computer you are looking at has parts made in China. The clothes on your back, the parts in your car, the kitchen appliances you make your food with, all has parts made in China. You sound like a child or a senile old man that doesn't know how the world currently works. But do carry on and show how patriotic you are by responding with a "pure" Britain electronic device.. Yeah I'll wait take a picture while you're at it. **** people are still so stupid this day and age.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Uhh... What backwater town do you live in? The cellphone or computer you are looking at has parts made in China. The clothes on your back, the parts in your car, the kitchen appliances you make your food with, all has parts made in China. You sound like a child or a senile old man that doesn't know how the world currently works. But do carry on and show how patriotic you are by responding with a "pure" Britain electronic device.. Yeah I'll wait take a picture while you're at it. **** people are still so stupid this day and age.
Wow, that's a pretty brutal reply given that Voodoo just made a brief, general statement. He didn't claim he doesn't use anything containing parts from China. Jeez.

-GPz

·
Registered
302 Posts
I think deep down we all like buying products made in our respective country. It's just natural to support the local or national economy. I personally prefer to buy things made local, or made in America even if it costs a few dollars more.

I think the issue here is that Triumph is quintessentially British. It's representative. It has a long heritage and is identifiable with the union jack. There is nothing wrong about being pissed off that a landmark item is now being outsourced to Taiwan. Nothing against the Taiwanese, they are very capable of continuing to produce high quality motorcycles to rigid standards.

I remember when Harley Davidson (American Icon) started outsourcing parts from Japan and other places back in the late 1980s and 1990s. Many folks swore off every buying a new HD, and a few of them still ride Knuckleheads and EVOs. However, latest figures are that 78.5% of the parts are still domestic* which is pretty outstanding. And to think, HD was even looking to move operations overseas at one point, but eventually decided that American's were willing to pay the extra money.

For now, to break into the Asian market and beat the tariffs, Harley signed an agreement with Qianjiang Motorcycle, which will produce the new model at Qianjiang plants in China. This is the first time Harley has ever contracted production out to an outside partner. This is because a Harley costs 80 to 90% more in China due to tariffs (costing Harley about $40 million more).

In a word, I can live with the fact that Harley is an American icon built in America AND China. Now if they moved all of their production to China, I'd be rather upset.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Clicky Here

Outsourcing is a fact of life for many OEM's - including those in aerospace. The day of raw materials in one door and a finished product out the other are either gone or numbered. If the bike were designed, prototyped and tested in the UK, it would still a brit bike!? With so much automation on the rolling production lines, fewer hands of skilled technicians are required. BTW didn't Triumph develop the balance production line being used in Asia?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Well said Davidrb my thoughts exactly. Given the choice I would pay more if it meant the bike was mostly built in the UK. Sadly manufacturing in Britain has been hollowed out, but I think given the current issues surrounding leaving the EU and the corona virus a lot of manufacturers will look at sourcing components closer to home.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Triumph's founder was a German, their first motorbikes were produced in a factory in Nuremberg and they had Belgian engines and Irish tyres. It's a shame that Triumph's ending mass production in UK but times change and if this is what they have to do to remain competitive so be it.

Nobody seems to have any problems buying Royal Enfield's made in India, they're currently one of the UK's best selling bikes.

·
Super Moderator
695 Posts
The 650 twin is roughly £5700 OTR, quite a lot more than dirt in the UK...

·
Registered
212 Posts
I was told in Hinckley last year that already all the bike frames are made in Thailand (yes Thailand, not Taiwan) and most of the engine parts were made in Hinckley and shipped to Thailand for final assembly. I don't care where the bike is assembled as long as the quality is allright...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts