Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been as busy weekend so far!
On Friday my son Lukas and I visited the CCM factory in Bolton, Lancashire, stayed overnight at an inn in the Peak District alongside the Ladybower reservoir (famous for on location shooting of The Dam Busters movie), and yesterday we headed to Hinckley for a tour of the Triumph factory.

We've had a fabulous two days.

The Triumph factory is colossal, as you would imagine, and it was fascinating being shown around, but it really is a soulless cloning environment...they could just as well have been making dishwashers or fridge freezers.

But, so that I don't dampen your spirits too much (!), here are some pictures of the R&D and custom Bobbers that are in the museum section of the factory. The quality of the photos is not brilliant as they have some very colourful lighting in there, but I've also taken shots of the plaques that describe each bike. I hope they're legible and you find them interesting.

We did also get to have a very close look at around 15 of the new Rocket III's that were in the press area of the factory itself, but we were not permitted to take any photographs...sorry!
I must admit though, that I'm even less of a fan of them now than I was before. They look like a life size injection moulded plastic toy, and they've sucked out all of the character of the original...:|

I've reached the maximum file limit, so will have to post the remainder of the photos separately.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for sharing!
We did also get to have a very close look at around 15 of the new Rocket III's that were in the press area of the factory itself, but we were not permitted to take any photographs...sorry!
I must admit though, that I'm even less of a fan of them now than I was before. They look like a life size injection moulded plastic toy, and they've sucked out all of the character of the original...:|
Oh, that doesn't sound promising :surprise: I know of three pre-orders locally; hope they don't feel the same when they see them :|

·
Registered
7 Posts
Brilliant pics and information,especially liked the turbo bobber (has it ever actually been used in anger?).
It would be good if Triumph could put all this information together in a Bobber development brochure,with the amount of sales they've had,I'm sure they would be snapped up.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I did the factory tour last year. I really enjoyed it for the most part. I found the info about the bike storage and automated forklifts interesting. I was a bit bored by all the milling machine talk that followed, but my interest perked up more when it got the the actual assembly line. I was suprised to see that all the different bike models were being assembled on the same line.

I was there on a Friday morning and the line was operational at the time, but only a couple of people actually working on it. I understand if you go at the weekend the line is shut down as they don't work weekends. I assume it would be more busy mid-week, so my advise to anyone thinking of going would be to try for a mid-week slot.

We weren't allowed to see the paint-shop but the chap said they were looking to add that to the tour too. Have they done so yet?

The museum was good though with a nice range of old bikes and some interesting displays.

Nice cafe too.

Well worth a trip in my opinion.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was there on a Friday morning and the line was operational at the time, but only a couple of people actually working on it. I understand if you go at the weekend the line is shut down as they don't work weekends. I assume it would be more busy mid-week, so my advise to anyone thinking of going would be to try for a mid-week slot.
We weren't allowed to see the paint-shop but the chap said they were looking to add that to the tour too. Have they done so yet?
The museum was good though with a nice range of old bikes and some interesting displays.
Well worth a trip in my opinion.
You're right, it is a worthwhile trip to experience the sheer enormity of the production, assembly, and storage facilities.
No one was working on Saturday, but that didn't bother us. I imagine that it makes for quite a noisy 1.5 hour tour when everything is active.
The paint spraying facility is on the tour now, but there was nothing to see as no one was there!

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
I'll definitely have to add this tour to the itinerary when we head to the UK in a few years. Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Did the tour on 8/22. Really enjoyed it. If you're able to do it, I highly recommend it. Here are just a few of the pictures I took, they had a nice display with the Bobber test mule, concept bike and the
clay design model. During this time, the line was shut down but we still got to see some of the work being done. They've opened up the paint shop as part of the tour, and even got to see one of the painters
hand pin-striping a Rocket III tank. Got a brief look at the new Daytona, and a bunch of the Rocket III's destined for the press corps. I'm not a big Rocket III guy, but the new ones might just change that!

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts