Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Last January 13 I had a traffic accident with my BB. A van hit me and fled. :mad:

The result was a broken elbow and wrist, and leg bruises.

Of the material damages were the jacket, the gloves, the helmet (and thanks to that it was well protected) and of course the motorcycle.

I already have the BB repaired and at home ... the invoice has been 3070€.... It has been repaired in an official workshop and only estetic damage has been.

Conclusions:

- The driver who fled is a son of a b***** :mad:
- It is VERY VERY IMPORTANT to have a good helmet and clothes to drive safely
- Luckily I'm already recovered
- The parts of this motorcycle are very expensive in official workshop
- The engine dresser bars are VERY VERY IMPORTANT.... thanks to them the bike did not suffer more damage.
- This weekend I will drive my BB ... a month and a half without driving is much :grin2:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi Didakpc,

Glad your ok and you bike could be repaired. No matter where you are in the world there will always be people who are selfish. Regardless of fault, he/she should have stopped to make sure you were alive. In some countries, not offering help, even as a bystander can land you in jail.

Other than that, how is riding in Spain?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Didakpc,

Glad your ok and you bike could be repaired. No matter where you are in the world there will always be people who are selfish. Regardless of fault, he/she should have stopped to make sure you were alive. In some countries, not offering help, even as a bystander can land you in jail.

Other than that, how is riding in Spain?

Thanks ArmchairHero, in theory also in Spain not to offering help involves going to jail.

Surely this driver would not carry a document in order or had consumed alcohol. :mad:

In general it is not chaotic to drive in Spain and the rules are respected, although in big cities like Madrid people are in a hurry ... so it is best to enjoy the motorbike on secondary roads further away from the big cities. Right now I live in Madrid and it is 14 degrees Celsius, although this afternoon we will be almost 20. Driving through the northern mountains of Madrid is a bit colder but there are incredible roads to enjoy the bike and the landscapes. :cool:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had some motorcycle accident, one of then in a high speed road... at 140 KM/h... My friend hit me on back... God blessed me and i had not injuries, but i loose my Yamaha VMAX .
I learned some important lessons , keep a security distance from your mate on the roads and the most important, use appopriate clothes and a good helmet ( not half helmets please ).

Good to know that you are fine.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Your description of the van driver is kind to say the least. I have much stronger words for him or her. Glad to hear you’re ok now. You’re definitely right about a helmet and good protective clothing. Interested in your dresser bars. Are they from Triumph?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Good to hear you are ok and able to ride again. Big thumbs up for good riding gear. I'm also feeling pretty good for having put the same dresser bars on my BB. Good to see real life results, a slam to the engine case and fuel tank would have easily double your repair bill.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your description of the van driver is kind to say the least. I have much stronger words for him or her. Glad to hear you’re ok now. You’re definitely right about a helmet and good protective clothing. Interested in your dresser bars. Are they from Triumph?
Yes, they are the reference A9788022

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good to hear you are ok and able to ride again. Big thumbs up for good riding gear. I'm also feeling pretty good for having put the same dresser bars on my BB. Good to see real life results, a slam to the engine case and fuel tank would have easily double your repair bill.

The fuel tank was damaged a little (very little) in the crash by hitting the handlebar. My handlebar has a riser (Handlebar riser Wunderkind) and maybe that's why it touched. The truth is that the protector was the best accessory that I bought from my BB :wink2:

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Dagger! Sorry to read this and glad you are on the mend.

I hope you were able to get a look at the van and can recognize it, while carrying a pocket knife to quickly let some air out of all 4 tires.....and then report the person that hit you....

·
Registered
270 Posts
Glad your OK and your bike is back and good to go.
I don't want to hijack your post but I'll share an incident that happened to me a little over 3 weeks ago.

I live in Thailand and it is well known to be one of the most dangerous places in the world to ride and drive.
Long story short, I was waiting to turn right allowing an oncoming bike to pass. The lanes were wide. I was aware of a truck approaching behind but he had more than enough space to continue straight through. As the oncoming bike passed, the truck driver for reasons known only to himself, decided to pass me on the outside just as I made the turn.

Guys, I will confess, I was in shorts, t-shirt, plimsoles and open face helmet. The truck actually hit my right buttock knocking me clear of the bike. The bike slid 30m on its side. I ended up 10m further. The helmet took a knock, I landed on left shoulder in a roll and managed to stay on my back with arms and legs stretched up and slid it out, watching the bike slide along with me.

As it hit me I thought I was dead for sure. As it turned out I got up with bruises only. Not a drop of blood. Serious bruising to buttock, hip, small if back, shoulder, shins but walking and riding my other bike that evening. The fact that the Bobber weighs 250kg, was hit side on and slid 30m gives you some indication of the truck speed. Being knocked clear of the bike saved certainly my left leg.

The driver was uninsured ( not uncommon here). He was fined £10 for no insurance and allowed back in his truck.

My insurance company are paying for the bike repairs totaling approx £7k. Factor in that many of the parts will be import from the UK.
The insurance company lawyers will now seek recovery and hopefully take his truck.

I was so so lucky. I read many posts regarding riding in the hotter countries. I was just nipping down the road to a friends house so was lazy. If I go to town I always gear up but up to now haven't for the local rural trips.

I do now!!!!

So, to reiterate the message.......protect yourself always. I still don't know how I got away with it but I doubt I'd be so lucky a 2nd time.

Expecting the BB back in around 2 weeks. Can't wait.

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Yikes...that's going to take a good while to dissipate.

When I was a white water rafting guide, I floated a class three just with the life-jacket on, and the hydrolic sent me, arse 1st, straight to the riverbed where my arse smashed into rocks. My bruise was almost identical in side and color. After that, my rafting mates called me "Strawberry".

·
Registered
234 Posts
Accidents definitely suck. Glad you are okay. It's never a matter of "if", but "when".
Had a local guy that all the riders knew in the area killed by a driver such as that. He was a motorcycle instructor, and had developed many safety techniques used around he world. He was an expert rider and had all the safety gear. It wasn't even that bad of an accident, it was just the way he fell. We do NOT have a safe lifestyle. It's probably safer being shot at in Iraq.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts