Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've never had traction control on any of my previous bikes so i wanted to find out more about what it should and should not be doing when on (which is the normal setting on our bobbers)

the only time i've seen the traction control light go on in the instrument guage and actually feel the cut in power is when going over maybe a really bumpy patch in the road while accelerating. i can feel the engine power drop to keep adequate traction on these areas.

what i've noticed is that sometimes on a straight smooth road, i sometimes can feel the rear tire spinning up when really opening up the throttle (aggressive, but not like super crazy) i check my tire pressures before each ride so i ruled that out. i figured it is probably just areas where the road is a little slick due to oil residue, moisture, etc. however, shouldn't the traction control prevent instances of this from happening where i feel the rear tire spinning in place during hard acceleration? just concerned if by chance my traction control isn't functioning properly.

thanks!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hi Danny,
Your traction control works in a similar way as your ABS works; just the opposite way round! Indeed it uses the same sensor etc.
It should notice any difference in the rotational speed of the wheels and cut in straight away.
The Rain mode is an even more sensitive version of the standard mode.

However, when you're accelerating over bumps, the wheel is very briefly loosing it's traction completely, as it's in the air; so it'll cut in straight away, but as long as the wheel is still in contact with the road, and slipping a little, it'll cut in maybe a tiny bit later, but before it gets worse, I'm sure.

I've noticed this behaviour too, so everything is probably okay.
A visit to your local dealer for a quick software flash to check that everything is cosha wouldn't hurt though :wink2: ...just to be sure :smile2:

Cheers!
mike

Reactions: Ribkick

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Danny,
Your traction control works in a similar way as your ABS works; just the opposite way round! Indeed it uses the same sensor etc.
It should notice any difference in the rotational speed of the wheels and cut in straight away.
The Rain mode is an even more sensitive version of the standard mode.

However, when you're accelerating over bumps, the wheel is very briefly loosing it's traction completely, as it's in the air; so it'll cut in straight away, but as long as the wheel is still in contact with the road, and slipping a little, it'll cut in maybe a tiny bit later, but before it gets worse, I'm sure.

I've noticed this behaviour too, so everything is probably okay.
A visit to your local dealer for a quick software flash to check that everything is cosha wouldn't hurt though :wink2: ...just to be sure :smile2:

Cheers!
mike
thanks mike!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts