Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I did a search of the forum and didn't find anything on this specifically. I've been riding my bike quite a bit this Spring and it's been running like a champ until today. When I rode it to work and back, the traction control light kept flickering on unless I was really easy on the throttle and whenever the light was on the throttle didn't allow me to add significant power. I checked for error codes and it doesn't have any. Checked the ground and the connection there is solid. I haven't pulled the battery to check the charge, but it was new last year and the bike starts right up every time. Any other ideas on what this might be?

·
Premium Member
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, guys. Is the speed sensor on the front fork? I found some pics about the speed sensor showing a slotted disk on the front wheel, but I also saw something in a tech manual about a rear speed sensor (makes sense that the traction control would have to know if the rear wheel is spinning too). Does anyone have a pic of either of these, so I know what I'm looking to clean? I'll give the bike a good washing Saturday morning and see if I can't get all the nooks and crannies, and hopefully that will include the offending sensors.

I turned off the traction control altogether last evening and that worked great, but it automatically comes on every time I start up the bike, so it's a bit of a hassle to do all the time.

·
Registered
765 Posts
What kind of pressure and tire tread you have right now? I ran my pressure a little high one week and with a heavy wrist and low tread I was seeing mine flicker plenty , just turned it off .

I had heard the front was an ABS sensor and rear was the speed sensor but in my opinion they probably both provide the engine with the same information. Which is simply how fast the wheel is turning or irregularly slowing in comparison to eachother and the last previous measurement.

Could definently be a sensor problem or even debris in the sensor ring or space between the two but hopefully not a bad sensor.

·
Premium Member
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mystery solved! I checked my tire pressures this morning. The front was dead on, but my rear was 42psi low... I turned my 90° valve stem around to the other side of my rear tire last weekend and apparently it caused a leak. My gauge literally read 0.0 when I checked the rear. Tightened the valve and filled it back up and she’s running like a champ again! Lesson learned. Thank God I only rode it 2 miles back and forth to work a few times with it that way.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Is it worth getting the tyre checked as running them flat can cause damage to the walls?

·
Premium Member
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I looked them over really well before riding into work today. They looked good, but I’ll take a closer look tomorrow when I get it all cleaned up just to be sure. It’s only a 2 mile ride through a small town, so speed never exceeded 35mph. Pretty mellow roads, so hopefully no long term issues.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I looked them over really well before riding into work today. They looked good, but I’ll take a closer look tomorrow when I get it all cleaned up just to be sure. It’s only a 2 mile ride through a small town, so speed never exceeded 35mph. Pretty mellow roads, so hopefully no long term issues.
Hopefully that's the case. I just remember our daughter driving her car on a flat tyre for quite a short distance. From the outside it looked fine, but once it was off the damage was clear from the inside.

Bike tyres have more rigid walls and carry less weight so hopefully they aren't as likely to get damaged.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts