Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I find it off putting that the bike seems to top out at 95, even with full tuck. I just came from the super sport life and I am not expecting 140+ but 95 seems too low for empty highway runs.

What is the fix to get it up to 110/115 mph?

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Hi Hank,

I find mine will cruse at 95 no problem on cruse control (sitting bolt upright with my windshield and panniers loaded). I haven't really pushed it but jumped up a few time in excess of 100 for short stints, so not sure why yours is toping out at 95.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Roy,

Thanks for the comment. I'll give another run at it again. Maybe the wind blast is psychologically holding me back from pushing higher.

Anyone have a claimed top speed being stock ?

·
Registered
126 Posts
100 mph is pretty optimistic me thinks. I am not sure if I recall correctly, but 95 might be the official top speed for a stock bobber. So probably nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah, I've done 100+ for short sprints. The bike maybe could have gone a little faster, but the wind blast makes things pretty uncomfortable.

·
Registered
854 Posts
They are limited to 180 kmh or 112 mph. This is a hard coded limit done by the ecu. I have had mine run up against it, in 5th and 6th, and when it was on the dyno you could actually hear it run up against the governor. so far I have not heard of a way to disable it, not that I have looked that hard mind you.

·
Registered
364 Posts
the technical specs note the top speed at like 93 mph but with (est) after it. so there's probably not a hard definitive measurement i guess. maybe it varies from bike to bike? i've easily gotten my 2017 bobber over 110 on the freeway a few times but soon after i could feel power being cut from the engine preventing going any much faster. i would be curious on how fast they could go once the limiter is disabled. would this though void the warranty? also would the stock tires be able to handle the increased speeds sufficiently?

·
Registered
712 Posts
I don't recall the exact number mine topped out at but it was at least 110mph. And I believe that was after I installed a smaller front sprocket so I don't believe max RPM is the issue.

In any case, the Bobber's frame is not designed or well suited for speed so I wouldn't recommend going much faster than 110mph. That's probably why they limited it where they did. Obviously keep your frame bolts tight at all times. Otherwise you might suddenly get introduced to a fun physics phenomenon from the old days known as the High Speed Wobbles. It's a good adrenaline rush but can be hard on the underpants if you're faint of heart. :)

-GPz/Gary

·
Registered
712 Posts
Good idea. Or a nice used ZX-14 for $6-7K. It will provide all the speed and acceleration you can tolerate.

-GPz/Gary

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I would get a speed triple but can't stomach the looks. I still have my cbr600rr with me so that will satisfy my other mc needs.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I am new to this cruiser/bobber life. Do Harleys experience this speed limit around this range as well ?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would get a speed triple but can't stomach the looks. I still have my cbr600rr with me so that will satisfy me with me with my other mc needs.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I am new to this cruiser/bobber life. Do Harleys experience this speed limit around this range as well ?
I have a family member that popped the 200km/h mark on a 2010 FatBoy Low (with Screamin’Eagle power up)
He said the thing was getting pretty hairy , as far as front end lift ?
He said it was still gaining speed at that point (and aero drag lol)

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have a 2004 Road King with a 95ci upgrade, Andrews cam, and S&S gears that replaced the chain tensioners. A couple of us road together in the badlands of South Dakota at full throttle for many miles. While it will pull like a freight train, its limit is about 115 mph before hitting the rev limiter.

Reactions: Hank31

·
Registered
365 Posts
sorry for the double post... there was an error with the site.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would get a speed triple but can't stomach the looks. I still have my cbr600rr with me so that will satisfy my other mc needs.

You're correct that keeping your cbr6 should cure the speed addiction. But in the neighborhood of 100mph for a stock cruiser is reasonable.

Before I fell in love with faster bikes, I owned multiple cruisers. Harleys vary widely. Older bone stock H-Ds were governed near 100, then up to 105, but it's common with mods they can go faster (I don't know if when you install parts, you do a re-flash with a power commander or similar [some of the aftermarket providers do just that FOR you], and/or if you buy OEM mods, the dealer does a re-flash), and I've seen some claim the CVO bikes aren't limited (although I find that hard to believe, as people would just blow them up), but they DO go faster, in many cases for more money in increased cost over the base model than you paid for your CBR new.

It's not common, and most know what I'm riding is faster than a cruiser, but I do know that when one decides they want to race me and is acting like a jerk, I have fun with him, and ease up to his rev limiter with him, and then crank down my throttle, leaving him cussing at his rev limiter. Last time I did it, I actually had my wife with me on the back of my K1600GT, plus the topcase on. The H-D in question was the bigger-engined Sportster with a skinny guy. He topped out about 105, and we just left him in the dust.

Flip-side: When I'm on a cruiser, I don't worry about guys like you when you're on your CBR passing me, because that's not what my bike is supposed to be. In the case of THIS particular bike, it's old-school to the max, and the only H-D which ever came close IMO is the Crossbones special edition softail bobber, and even then, only b/c it had the springer suspension (which is much harsher, but looks much cooler). The rest of this bike looks much better.

I think you're golden with both choices here, because you have two very different bikes for two very different missions.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a family member that popped the 200km/h mark on a 2010 FatBoy Low (with Screamin’Eagle power up)
He said the thing was getting pretty hairy , as far as front end lift ?
He said it was still gaining speed at that point (and aero drag lol)
Does he have one of the models with solid wheels? Those wheels are gorgeous, but having owned a cruiser with almost solid wheels and one without, there is a huge handling difference with solid wheels in heavy crosswinds, at least on the lighter-weight cruisers, despite all the claims to the contrary, so it makes me wonder if there's any effect at your relative's 125mph-ish speed.

And do you know if the dealer re-flashes the ECU when you buy Screamin' Eagle upgrades?

Shoot, I have no plans to buy a FatBoy, but I just find it all interesting. ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You're correct that keeping your cbr6 should cure the speed addiction. But in the neighborhood of 100mph for a stock cruiser is reasonable.

Before I fell in love with faster bikes, I owned multiple cruisers. Harleys vary widely. Older bone stock H-Ds were governed near 100, then up to 105, but it's common with mods they can go faster (I don't know if when you install parts, you do a re-flash with a power commander or similar [some of the aftermarket providers do just that FOR you], and/or if you buy OEM mods, the dealer does a re-flash), and I've seen some claim the CVO bikes aren't limited (although I find that hard to believe, as people would just blow them up), but they DO go faster, in many cases for more money in increased cost over the base model than you paid for your CBR new.

It's not common, and most know what I'm riding is faster than a cruiser, but I do know that when one decides they want to race me and is acting like a jerk, I have fun with him, and ease up to his rev limiter with him, and then crank down my throttle, leaving him cussing at his rev limiter. Last time I did it, I actually had my wife with me on the back of my K1600GT, plus the topcase on. The H-D in question was the bigger-engined Sportster with a skinny guy. He topped out about 105, and we just left him in the dust.

Flip-side: When I'm on a cruiser, I don't worry about guys like you when you're on your CBR passing me, because that's not what my bike is supposed to be. In the case of THIS particular bike, it's old-school to the max, and the only H-D which ever came close IMO is the Crossbones special edition softail bobber, and even then, only b/c it had the springer suspension (which is much harsher, but looks much cooler). The rest of this bike looks much better.

I think you're golden with both choices here, because you have two very different bikes for two very different missions.

Yeah, what attracted me to this bike was the practical nature of the bike and the drop dead looks. I have owned the cbr for about 3 years, and in 1 month, my bobber has received more compliments... I guess in my fantasy I thought I could have have one bike to satisfy me ..but I have now seen the light .. this is the intro to bike hording

1 - 20 of 51 Posts