Triumph Bobber Forum banner

Took a small slide

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  jerrman 
#1 ·
Hi all, took a slide along the road on my Ducati when somebody decided to pull out on me at a junction, on a bend on wet surface/diesel also. I am fine with a sore wrist, but the bike needs some work, bars tank indicator usual side stuff.
Here's my thing: as this bike is 3rd party and I didn't hit anybody my insurance have said they wont pay towards the bike, but my equipment is covered, the equipment is covered by another company who want photos and receipts, which of course I do not have for everything.
It is only my biker jeans and helmet that I am going for due to the fact the medic cut the jeans all the way up the leg, and the fact the helmet took a knock but only damaged the visor in any pictures it looks fine, but you cannot see any internal issues, hopefully i can find the receipt for the helmet, but not for the jeans.
it also looks like the person responsible wont pursue from their side because their company said its not her fault, its the road conditions.
Any body know any loop holes or had any experience with this type of claim?
Cheers

#2 ·
Hi all, took a slide along the road on my Ducati when somebody decided to pull out on me at a junction, on a bend on wet surface/diesel also. I am fine with a sore wrist, but the bike needs some work, bars tank indicator usual side stuff.
Here's my thing: as this bike is 3rd party and I didn't hit anybody my insurance have said they wont pay towards the bike,
Cheers
First thing do you have any witnesses? If you do and they're prepared to say that you were riding sensibly when this idiot pulled out without warning then you've got the basis for a claim and your insurer should help.

But if not I think you're going the struggle, without witnesses or dash cam footage the other sides insurance will just claim that you were riding too fast for the conditions wet surface/diesel. The other problem is because you're only 3rd Party your insurer hasn't had to fork out for the damage to your bike so they're unlikely to be interested in fighting your corner.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I'm glad to hear that you are OK, bikes can be fixed and replaced.

#3 ·
I agree with that,

I think it is all about any potential witness. I had a similar incident not on my bike but in my Jeep a few years back. Essentially got run of the road and smashed my alloy wheel in the process. No contact (due to my quick reactions) between the cars and the culprit sped off. Fortunately a witness got the plate number and gave a statement to the police. End result the drivers insurance covered everything and the young girl got a police warning.

I can't think of anything else unless there was camera around?

Glad your okay and sorry to hear about the bike.

All the best,

Roy

#5 ·
Thanks

The girl did stop and I have all her details, the witness is a solicitor who I gave details of to my insurance company but they said they will do nothing except cover my helmet and clothes. So I think I will probably change company at next renewal and have my spare ride fully comp for money this kind of tosh should go away.

#4 ·
It also looks like the person responsible wont pursue from their side because their company said its not her fault, its the road conditions.
Of course her company said that it wasn't her fault. :| You might have to weigh the cost of a lawyer against any possible gains.

If you bent the bars you might have damaged the head bearing. Don't ask me how I know. :|

Glad you are okay.

#7 ·
Does the insurance company not only believe you but doesn’t believe the witness either? Short of video, it does sound like time for a new insurance company. Regardless, it’s a small price to pay since you came out of it pretty much unscathed. Glad you’re ok.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.