Triumph Bobber Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone on here that motorcycling is now pretty much an old man's hobby, after all it seems 95% of the posts on this forum are about comfort. OMG if I see another post about seats or suspension I think I'll scream! Now you might say the bobber attracts a certain demographic and I'm sure that's true but I live a few miles from a biker hotspot where when the weather's good hundreds if not thousands of bikes turn up every weekend and you know what they've all got grey hair, when did biking get so old???

I'm pretty certain that's why Adventure bikes in Europe and large Baggers in America dominate the sales charts. Once you get to a certain age the number one priority is all day comfort and just to prove the point Triumph recently released the Speed Triple RR a 180BHP Cafe Racer that not only got rave reviews but also looks beautiful too. Trouble is no ones buying it and after only a few months on sale they're being offered at a 2K discount!

I'm not surprised Harley's mobility scooter I mean Tri-Glide is one of their best sellers!!!

Wheel Tire Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive tire

Registered
"When did biking get so old?" Right after the price of a new Harley hit $40,000. You have to have discretionary income to support an expensive hobby. Most 20 somethings don't. They're trying to make a living, raise a family, pay a mortgage, etc. You see them occaisionally putting about, usually on smaller or used bikes. Last guy I saw on a new Ducati sport bike was a 60 year old dentist. He was really hip in his kangaroo leather racing suit.

Reactions: GarySev

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure, you can pick up a low milage 90s superbike for 2k and a brand new Enfield for 4...Today's youngsters have more disposable income than we ever had! Back in the 70s when I was growing up most UK families only had one car and many didn't even have that, they usually also had only one rented TV, a tiny fridge and a phone that nobody used before 6pm because of the cost. Back then bikes were a cheaper option to buying a car and many young men myself included myself got their first taste of biking as a commuter. But today every house has three of four cars and the youngsters probably because of cheap credit don't buy bangers anymore. They've also got so much more stuff to spend their money on - phones and phone contracts, broadband, Netflix, Amazon Prime, computers, and tech we could only dream of, they also if the stats are to be believed eat out more, and have more foreign holidays than we ever did. I'm not surprised they've got no time for bikes.

Registered
You may be right, nobody ever got bugs in their teeth from virtual reality. The price of a new 1969 Honda CB750 in 1969 was $1,495, which is equivalent to $11,900 in today's dollars. A brand new Dodge Charger R/T in 1970 was $3,711 ($29,540 in today's dollars) a new 2022 Charger R/T is $41,010. Don't even get me started on housing prices.......

Registered
I'm hearing you BB, but everything comes full circle even though we live in a time of change, I think in the not too distant future in the new world of electric vehicles the sound of a Harley or Triumph coming down the road would be music to the ears of current hipsters, so don't worry, I think we're in safe hands mate.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm hearing you BB, but everything comes full circle even though we live in a time of change, I think in the not too distant future in the new world of electric vehicles the sound of a Harley or Triumph coming down the road would be music to the ears of current hipsters, so don't worry, I think we're in safe hands mate.
I hope you're right, maybe history is about to repeat itself, whilst this does feel like the end of an era the one bright spark for motorised two wheelers is booming electric bicycle sales, if the next generation can get used to riding those for commuting and pleasure then getting a more powerful electric motorbike is the next step, after all that's how most of the early bike firms including Triumph began by putting engines in push bikes.

Registered
It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone on here that motorcycling is now pretty much an old man's hobby, ...
thousands of bikes turn up every weekend and you know what they've all got grey hair...
I'm reminded of a euphemism I heard many years back from young, hipster, snowboarding types. They were referring to older dudes getting into the sport: Greys on trays

I wonder if there might be an apt phrase for us older gents to use when referring to the youngsters just starting out on their first two-wheelers? ... Dorks with forks? :unsure::p:whistle:

Registered
And there's me thinking I was old getting a bike again at 40... this conversation has made me feel like one of the young ones again :D

The other thing to consider with the young generation is everything is disposable and they want the latest 'thing'. They also seem to have no tolerance for things breaking or having 'quirks' so they don't want to buy old cars or bikes, they want shiny new.

In my experience (I have 3 kids in the 19-25 range) they are all a bit scared too. In my day it was all about taking risks and living to tell the tail, these days they all have bloody anxiety about something and couldn't possibly take such risks.

Registered
I got too unfit (fat) to remain a MAMIL 馃毚鈥嶁檧锔 so I would suggest MAMIK (swapping the Lycra for Kevlar鈥ell Leather would be too confusing)

Registered
馃崝Hey I'm not old, just busted up! I'm going to snatch one of the fastest triples before everything goes electric. I love the classic looks of this bike but I want to be sure to have a couple "OLD" bikes before I actually get old. I'll buy me a electric when they have a 2wd in hub drivetrain with launch control , no sooner 馃崝

Registered
Ah - being 61 and riding a Bobber with its original suspension I was beginning to get worried I was doing it wrong. But last week I was sailing my Laser dinghy and overheard a chap in his 40's saying he'd given up sailing Lasers when he turned 30 because it is a 'young man's boat'.

So I guess you're only as old as you think you are. In my case I never got beyond 7. If it's fast and noisy and shiny that's all I care about.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts