Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...to Airhawk... that is the question!

Has anyone tried the Airhawk - cruiser, size small on the Bobber by any chance?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry fella’s... I ought to have provided a little more clarity and a pic!

Classic comment Roy!!!
>:)

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
I have a few different sizes of airhawk(s).
It’s a resounding NO from me. I just could not get along with it no matter how much (or how little) air I used. The trick is to use as little as possibe, but I always felt seasick when using it. Horrible and doesn’t work (for me).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Airhawks serve a good purpose, but they are very expensive. I bought one several years ago and ended up using it at work more than on my bike and over time the thin walled air pockets started wearing through and after many patch attempts, some good some not, I threw it on the used gear pile. Last summer I bought a copy cat air pad on amazon, didn't even have a name, for less than half the cost of an Airhawk. It claimed thicker membrane, and it is, and I used it on my Texas to Alaska trip last fall. It literally saved my arse. Highly recommend for extended trips. As far as daily use on a Bobber, probably not worth the trouble. If you plan to take your Bobber out of town an air pad would probably worth taking along. The key is to run as little air as possible to just give your rear a layer of air between it and the seat. As eisen77 pointed out, even with minimal air you can get the sensation of swaying, I got used to it but it can be a bit annoying.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Noooo...I'm sure they work great but when you get off everyone will think you've got piles!!! :wink2:

For similar money you could do it old school and get a sheepskin cover or if you're regularly doing big miles buy a Corbin seat by all accounts they're super comfy and they look cool too.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Noooo...I'm sure they work great but when you get off everyone will think you've got piles!!! :wink2:

For similar money you could do it old school and get a sheepskin cover or if you're regularly doing big miles buy a Corbin seat by all accounts they're super comfy and they look cool too.
Funny u say that, used one on the tiger for a month after a piles op :p

Don't put more than 1/2 an inch of air in it or you will feel like you are wobbling all over the place

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts

The sheepskin is actually a great suggestion.
I used to use them on my previous bikes when touring and your mention of them made me want to try them again after years of sitting in storage. Anyone buying a sheepskin from AlaskaLeather; the code “deadsheep” still works and gives 10% discount.

They make you feel like a right OAP and i used to laugh at people who rode with them. But they had the last laugh; Iron Butt riders swear by 2 things - either sheepskin covers OR RUSSELL DAY LONG seats.
Of course the RDL seats are the best and far out perform the sheepskin covers, but they also cost 5 x as much and there is a long waiting list.

Here is how ugly (but great) the sheepskins are:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Road kill seating >:)

I have also comforted the sheepskin but point for pound the Airhawks seem to have better reviews.

In any case they do really leave a little to be desired aesthetically. But it’s certainly not something I would opt for based on my normal use for the bike. I’m planning to embark on a Euro trip so I’ll be subjected to many more miles than usual and don’t want a raw rump to a spoil my fun.

I’m sure the Corbin option would perform admirably but as you rightly state, cost is a considered factor and I am also not keen on the look, which although better than either the RoadHawk or sheepskin... is more permanent... or at least it would have to be to justify the outlay!

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
I’m proudly taking my sheepskins out for a ride tomorrow. It’s been 10 years or more since they’ve seen daylight !!!
I don’t want the darling, fluffy sheep to feel they were sheared in vain :grin2:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’m proudly taking my sheepskins out for a ride tomorrow. It’s been 10 years or more since they’ve seen daylight !!!
I don’t want the darling, fluffy sheep to feel they were sheared in vain :grin2:
You’ll end up with swamp crutch! ? ;)

·
Registered
553 Posts
; Iron Butt riders swear by 2 things - either sheepskin covers OR RUSSELL DAY LONG seats.
Of course the RDL seats are the best and far out perform the sheepskin covers, but they also cost 5 x as much and there is a long waiting list.

I have a Russell Day Long on my Rocket 111, they are pricey but best seat I have ever had, have had a few corbins but not in the same league as the RDL.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
; Iron Butt riders swear by 2 things - either sheepskin covers OR RUSSELL DAY LONG seats.

I have a Russell Day Long on my Rocket 111, they are pricey but best seat I have ever had, have had a few corbins but not in the same league as the RDL.
I agree 100%.
I’ve had a few RDL’s and Corbin seats; the RDL saddles are simply amazing.
I don’t tour much anymore, so for now the Corbin “off the shelf” saddles suit me well. But as soon as a new Goldwing is on the cards, so is an RDL.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts