Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tires were losing between 5 and 8 pounds a week. thought maybe it was because of porous tubes. Luckily it's just loose valve stems 32 lb steady for over a week

·
Registered
363 Posts
My tires were losing between 5 and 8 pounds a week. thought maybe it was because of porous tubes. Luckily it's just loose valve stems 32 lb steady for over a week
tightening the valve stems seems to do the trick for most of us, as it did for me!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Tightening the valve stems did wonders for me, going from a 1/2 lb a day loss to more like a 1/2 lb a week! Lately its been 50 one day and 80 the next so I'm back to frequent checking and adjusting!!!:frown2:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Tightening the valve stems did wonders for me, going from a 1/2 lb a day loss to more like a 1/2 lb a week! Lately its been 50 one day and 80 the next so I'm back to frequent checking and adjusting!!!:frown2:
Yup, I was shocked today (with little change in temperature) that I wasn't losing air in the front tire.

·
Registered
363 Posts
sorry to hear that. i was like losing 1 lb per day. now like 1 lb per 4-5 days. not perfect but a whole lot better. i still check the tires before i ride. guess it put me in the habit of constantly checking tire pressure, which is a good thing. maybe your valve stem needs to be replaced altogether. or hope that the problem is not like somebody else had which was a tear at the base of the stem. hope all works out.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
My front still loses pressure despite tightening the valve.
It will go to the dealer during the winter to have the inner tube + valve replaced.
The rear is fine.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The dealer replaced both my valve stems and I'm still losing air in both tires, about a pound every 2-3 days.

I plan to tape over or otherwise seal the spoke ends on the rim when it's time for new tires.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had the same problem and afterwards tightened the valves, always the problem but after a week. my dealer replaced my rooms by air tubes reinforced Michelin. for the moment after 3 weeks, more loss of air

·
Registered
792 Posts
sorry to hear that. i was like losing 1 lb per day. now like 1 lb per 4-5 days. not perfect but a whole lot better. i still check the tires before i ride. guess it put me in the habit of constantly checking tire pressure, which is a good thing. maybe your valve stem needs to be replaced altogether. or hope that the problem is not like somebody else had which was a tear at the base of the stem. hope all works out.
Danny I think you need to read my post again, 1/2 pound a week is not bad!

·
Registered
360 Posts
... 1/2 pound a week is not bad!
Indeed!
I don't think the gauge on my cheapo foot-pump can even read 1/2 a pound increments exactly!

It is indeed a normal thing that tube type tyres can lose a bit of pressure sometimes, some more than others. Tubeless tyres also.
I regularly check my tyres, once or twice a week when I'm riding on a regular basis; been doing it this way since 1977! :wink2: ...good habit. :smile2:

Cheers!
mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts