Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am one of those guys who always adjusts his throttle cables so that the idle just barely doesn't increase when you move the bars lock to lock. In other words almost zero freeplay. I like instant throttle response as do many!

In an effort to make riders comfortable with throttle by wire the manufacturers in their infinite wisdom have built in some freeplay even though the cables will never get pulled at full lock, increasing the idle RPM!

But they have gone too far, my Bobber has almost 4 MM of freeplay. The original idea came from the Ducati forum. Some people glue a small piece of plastic to the throttle. I tapped a 2-56 hole and used a cap screw making the mod adjustable.

Voila, almost zero Freeplay!

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
nicely done, that will be on my list to do

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi, I had the exact same issue with my new gummy/barrel grips. I was able to actually push the throttle forward because there was so much free play. Saw this post and used a screw to remove the gap between the throttle and the end/blocker plastic in the housing. I also doused it in super glue as a belt and braces measure.

Personally I think it's a bit rubbish that Triumph sell a part that isn't a perfect fit, considering its listed for my make and model rather than generic.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Will this mod have any effect on being able to move the grip forward (cancel cruise control)?
Good point. You also need to be able to move the throttle forward in order to activate the cruise control for the first time (when it’s installed). Without the specific sequence, the CC will not activate, even if the software/hardware is installed.

Canceling the CC is less of an issue, as it can be done by touching any input.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi, I've done nearly 3,000 miles on my Bobber and I have no idea rolling the throttle forward was a thing! Not sure, there is still some play just much less.

·
Registered
82 Posts
On a side note, I don't have any issus with throttle play on my 2018 BB - it is "near instant". At least it is so close to perfect that I've never had the desire to change anything.

And I am one of those guys who hates throttle play and the adjustment method on my Kawasaki is pretty much what BOBBYP described above: adjust it to a level where the RPM start to rise / you can feel the cable tensioning. Then just back of a little, done. I'm so sensitive that I even quickly adjust the play on traffic light stops when I feel it has increased.

Tom

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 2018 Triumphs have the play reduced from 2.5-3.5 MM to almost nothing. That being said I think it won't effect accessories like cruise control!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I changed my black grips to brown one on my 2018 Bobber Black. There is more throttle free play after the change. Still not bad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts