Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I appear to have some play in the handlebars, they move a little (not in the clamp) it's the clamp unit itself that appears to move, as per the video I uploaded to YouTube.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Matt,

That should not happen, I think you have the wrong dampers fitted. Stiffer dampers are fitted with the high bar kit.

Hope that helps?

Cheerio,

Roy
Hi Roy,

Thanks for your help, I think I'll take the bike into my local dealer tomorrow. They fitted the bars, so should have some answers.

What do the dampers look like?

Matt

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Hi Matt,

Here is a pic of the damper set, not sure what the part number is.

I believe there are two damper sets; the standard that comes with stock bars and a stiffer set that comes with the high bars. This latter set is what should be fitted with yours.

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
The kit should have included a different set of bushings (which look identical to the stock ones) but are there to give the bike support due to the extra leverage. Make sure they were swapped in. Also , check the nuts under the triple tree to be certain they were tightened correctly.

Well , Roy beat me to it......... :)

·
Registered
792 Posts
Ditto what they said, there are bushings made out of harder plastic for the increased leverage. Riding it like you have it will not hurt anything but it will take a ride or 2 to get used to it, then you won't notice!>:)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Matt,

Here is a pic of the damper set, not sure what the part number is.

I believe there are two damper sets; the standard that comes with stock bars and a stiffer set that comes with the high bars. This latter set is what should be fitted with yours.

Cheerio,

Roy
Thanks Roy, I'll show this pic to my dealer today when I go in. Your help means a lot buddy!

Ditto what they said, there are bushings made out of harder plastic for the increased leverage. Riding it like you have it will not hurt anything but it will take a ride or 2 to get used to it, then you won't notice!>:)
Peace of mind with this post Bobby, thank you! I was concerned it may be something misaligned or potentially damaged. Yeah I've just started noticing it when braking harder, your bars move forward, where you expect there to be no movement or play in the bars at all, feels odd! I'll get it sorted though.

Cheers guys >:)

Matt

·
Registered
364 Posts
I did not install my bars, but will say that I went outside, sat on the bike and gave it a few good tugs. Mine are solid as a rock and do not move at all. While it may not pose any danger, who knows what damage could be done over time, so I'd check with the dealership regarding the bushings others have already mentioned.

On the same lines...the handlebar sits into pins, that locks them into one position. I'd like to rotate my apes an inch or so towards me. The pins prevent this. I'm giving thought to either grinding down the pins all-together, or adding another set of holes for the pins to go into. In reality, I think the pins are a bit of "lawyerly over-engineering" and are not necessary. My Harley has apes with no pins, and I've never had an issue. I checked with a (speed) shop who agrees, so either way I go, I feel pretty good with the choice.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I did not install my bars, but will say that I went outside, sat on the bike and gave it a few good tugs. Mine are solid as a rock and do not move at all. While it may not pose any danger, who knows what damage could be done over time, so I'd check with the dealership regarding the bushings others have already mentioned.

On the same lines...the handlebar sits into pins, that locks them into one position. I'd like to rotate my apes an inch or so towards me. The pins prevent this. I'm giving thought to either grinding down the pins all-together, or adding another set of holes for the pins to go into. In reality, I think the pins are a bit of "lawyerly over-engineering" and are not necessary. My Harley has apes with no pins, and I've never had an issue. I checked with a (speed) shop who agrees, so either way I go, I feel pretty good with the choice.
They are "over engineered''. I'll be putting my stock risers back on shortly and adjust accordingly. Roy already has (and He's still alive.......). :grin2:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
*UPDATE*

I've been to my dealership, got the Bobber booked in to have the bushings replaced with the high bar ones. Turns out the stock ones were left in when swapping over from the drag bars. So on that note, thanks Roy and everyone else for pointing it out!

I now know where to come before I take any actions.. This sweet forum :D

Cheers,

Matt

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Let me understand; you had to make an appointment/book to have the dealer change what they screwed up. The dealer's service department should have fixed the issue right away since it was their screw-up.

Chico

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Let me understand; you had to make an appointment/book to have the dealer change what they screwed up. The dealer's service department should have fixed the issue right away since it was their screw-up.

Chico

Essentially yes, but this was by choice, the dealership have been really good to me over the years, and they're a bit short in the workshop at the moment. The T100 I exchanged for the Bobber, had an X-Pipe that I got fitted. It was agreed that they would pop the cat back in and fit the X-Pipe to my Bobber (as it's compatible).

The little foot guard panel, on the right exhaust, came off yesterday, so told them and they're getting it replaced FOC under warranty. As they've got to wait for that part to come in and the handlebars aren't causing me any problems, I suggested them doing it all together. So yeah, I booked it in. Not a problem personally, only gotta wait a few days. :D

Matt

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Essentially yes, but this was by choice, the dealership have been really good to me over the years, and they're a bit short in the workshop at the moment. The T100 I exchanged for the Bobber, had an X-Pipe that I got fitted. It was agreed that they would pop the cat back in and fit the X-Pipe to my Bobber (as it's compatible).

The little foot guard panel, on the right exhaust, came off yesterday, so told them and they're getting it replaced FOC under warranty. As they've got to wait for that part to come in and the handlebars aren't causing me any problems, I suggested them doing it all together. So yeah, I booked it in. Not a problem personally, only gotta wait a few days. :D

Matt
Makes sense now!

Chico

1 - 13 of 13 Posts