Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Chaps,

I'm cringing a little asking this question as I don't want to encourage anyone to ride too fast, so please be safe.

I'm not into speed or high performance myself and mostly just 'plod' around on my Bobber rarely hitting much more that 80mph. However the Bobber is no slouch and a 1200 engine is certainly not a small bike, so I was wondering if any of you more experienced riders with 'a need for speed' have pushed your Bobber a little and to that end what speeds have your reached?

Cheerio (and please be safe),

Roy

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that,

If I had to guess I would have said around 120mph. It's been a long time since I rode any bike at speed and personally don't 'feel the need', especially with an open faced helmet and high bars. That said I have a long trip planed so I may open her up a little on those long Arizona road.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
505 Posts
I feel fairly certain the bobber is speed limited at 115 mph. I doubt you would see 120 on a stock configuration.

·
Registered
78 Posts
yep engine is weak, 180kmh on full throttle several kilometers, didn't have enough power to get over it.
Also you need to rev it up with 4th and 5th gear, 6th is so weak gear. For 1200 is say it's weak, you need to rev it high as super bike to get it going.

Till 140kmh, its ok, but over it even my Volvo s80 v8(315hp 1850kg) shows easily tail lights.
Volvo has 0.17hp per kg and bobber has 0.33, where the power goes :nerd:

To bad Triumph don't have option for 1200HP engine for bobber, probably 100hp(25%) improvement adds satisfactory power.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I actually felt that mine pulled fairly decently up to that point and then it feels that power is cut. It doesn’t bang out like a rev limiter it simply just reduces power and levels off at 115. At least that’s what I feel.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I actually felt that mine pulled fairly decently up to that point and then it feels that power is cut. It doesn’t bang out like a rev limiter it simply just reduces power and levels off at 115. At least that’s what I feel.
I couldn’t agree with you more... mine pulls strong in all gear right the way up to where its limited to 115 mph. It’s not superbike quick but by no means is it, “weak”

·
Registered
602 Posts
Round town the torque gets me away from lights like a greased pig, in the twisties it sticks to the road and happily takes me through a corner with a nice grunt when poked a bit. It will 'cruise at 70-80 quite happily (above that I just become a huge air-brake!, (on a private /cough test track) i took it up to about 110 cowering down like a hunchback just to ton-up it.

However tuning the Bobber, Trirocket I think has just about doubled the standard power so it's doable, just depends on how deep your pockets are (and how big you are - the air-brake bit again)

·
Registered
136 Posts
115 max on mine, and that's holding it open for a long time, i am a fat b*****d but i don't think that matters with 1200 HT engine, i am thinking Mr Triumph has used some of his trickery to limit these engines.

but i also sold some fast bikes to get the triumph, to slow me down a bit.

·
Registered
78 Posts
As Big Bear and Ethariel said said this is a great bike for up to 80 mph. After 80 mph I start getting blown around. The Bobber isn't a super bike. It isn't designed to run at 100+. (If I wanted a super bike I would have kept my Ducati. :|)
You miss the point 100+ or not, that not point.
Current engine is weak, most of time you need to run it in 1-4th gear(let engine scream and annoying people) to get "decent" acceleration, 5-6th is useless and can be used maintaining speed.
If engine is 600cc then i expect this behaviour, but for 1200 :|
You need to dance with gears like 600cc.

I'm sure most under 40 riders will agree >:)

·
Registered
709 Posts
Current engine is weak, most of time you need to run it in 1-4th gear(let engine scream and annoying people) to get "decent" acceleration, 5-6th is useless and can be used maintaining speed.

You probably know this already...you've bought the wrong bike!!! >:)

·
Registered
136 Posts

To be fair to Triumph the performance is in the design of the bike, and is probably aimed at the over 40s, maybe you should of looked at the speed triple when you were at the dealership >:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had Daytona 675 (drove 40k km with it), i liked it, but now want more relaxed sitting position and less RPM drilling.
I like bobber handling(handles in curvy roads much better than i expected), appearance, … , just engine is not enough, so bike is right and engine isn't :grin2:.

Off course suspension and brakes could be better and use of aluminum could save much weight - but i can live with that and hope that some day new model will fix these.

·
Registered
296 Posts
yep engine is weak, 180kmh on full throttle several kilometers, didn't have enough power to get over it.
Also you need to rev it up with 4th and 5th gear, 6th is so weak gear. For 1200 is say it's weak, you need to rev it high as super bike to get it going.

Till 140kmh, its ok, but over it even my Volvo s80 v8(315hp 1850kg) shows easily tail lights.
Volvo has 0.17hp per kg and bobber has 0.33, where the power goes :nerd:

To bad Triumph don't have option for 1200HP engine for bobber, probably 100hp(25%) improvement adds satisfactory power.

The Bobber may be unremarkable in terms of outright horsepower, but I would never call the engine weak. The torque delivery means it fires off the line pretty rapidly and hits 80-90mph quick-smart.

Sounds to me that there may be something not right with your engine if you have to rev it like a sports bike to get it going.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I had Daytona 675 (drove 40k km with it), i liked it, but now want more relaxed sitting position and less RPM drilling.
I like bobber handling(handles in curvy roads much better than i expected), appearance, … , just engine is not enough, so bike is right and engine isn't :grin2:.

Off course suspension and brakes could be better and use of aluminum could save much weight - but i can live with that and hope that some day new model will fix these.
80 ft/Ibs of torque by 4000rpm is a shed load and a lot more accessible than any 600cc bike I’ve ever ridden. Of course there are plenty of bikes with more power but that power is accessed at a much higher RPM than the Bobbers comparatively low rpm limit... and you’ll certainly be, “annoying people” to access said power on such bikes. On that note... the Bobber is hardly loud when compared to many bikes even when ringing its neck.

The engine in the Bobber is a high torque engine and it does it’s job very well. It’s well suited to short shifting to keep within its torque band, great for squirting out of corners and for overtaking slower moving traffic and as we all seem to agree perfect for anything up to 80mph... then it all just gets too windy! To close I just don’t agree with you and echo the comments already made by some of the others... you really have bought the wrong bike :wink2:

·
Registered
509 Posts
The Bobber may be unremarkable in terms of outright horsepower, but I would never call the engine weak. The torque delivery means it fires off the line pretty rapidly and hits 80-90mph quick-smart.

Sounds to me that there may be something not right with your engine if you have to rev it like a sports bike to get it going.
Agree completely. But also comparing a parallel twin that is designed to grunt to a light flywheeled triple or 4 that is designed to rev to the moon is apple to oranges. Enjoy it for what it is.

·
Registered
136 Posts

Personally i think the engine is perfect for the bike, but i do think triumph has limited the top speed somehow, it maybe because over 115 mph the bike becomes unstable / dangerous.
Maybe you could try changing the sprockets gearing the bike so the 5th and 6th gears are more to your liking, or remapping the ECU to the T120 Map

I think its a life lesson, we have probably all really wanted something but once we have it the honeymoon period doesn't last as long as we were hoping. this is just my over 50s opinion:surprise:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
You mean the Bobber has more than 4 gears. :surprise: I didn't know that. :wink2: I've never used 5th and 6th. Even cruising on the Interstate I rarely shift into 6th gear. And I don't think I am annoying people with my "engine scream".

If engine is 600cc then i expect this behaviour, but for 1200 :| You need to dance with gears like 600cc.
I have had my share of sport bikes (BMW K1200RS, Ducati Monster S4R, Ducati 748, Ducati 998, Ducati Paul Smart). I usually danced with the gears on most of those bikes. That was half the fun.

And I didn't buy the Bobber to be a sport bike. If you bought the Bobber to be a sport bike you made a mistake. If you want a more sit up riding position and top end power of a sport bike look at something like a Ducati Monster 1200.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts