Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm used to a sports bike so initially found them lacking. However I bought the Bobber to 'teach' me to drive within my limits so I know I have to drive to fit the brakes rather than fit brakes to suit me! I'll get there!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Stock brakes work but need a Gorrilla vice like grip to stop quickly, too much effort & not enough progressive feel for me.
So changed to free spirits brembo calipers & discs, much improved all round, but discs are visually a little large. :(

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's allot of sense being spoken so far. Couldn't agree with Roy and bunker barge more

·
Registered
601 Posts
The standard w/ single disk was tolerable (barely) but I'm definitely glad I held out for the Black and its dual disks. Plus I love Brembo from my sportbike days and appreciate scrubbing off speed quickly without undue effort.

On a somewhat related note, one of the all-time great quotes from 24-Hour motorcycle endurance roadracing (non-stop day, night, all-weather events) was "I saw God so many times I started using him as a brake marker." :p

-GPz

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Got EBC sintered pads , front and back and I find the braking to be completely adequate. When I burn though the pads and discs I'll get the Brembo upgrade at some point. Not because I need it but just the fact it's nice to have.
I'm getting slower in my old age though so it's less of an issue than it used to be for me but you can't account for other idiots on the road that drive around in a world of their own!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Have never been overly aggressive but, the initial reviews of the Bobber when introduced raved about everything except the brakes. Those comments stuck with me so I swapped out for the Free Spirits Brembos. Probably didn’t need them but, made me feel better ?

·
Registered
667 Posts
I came from motocross in my teen years, and then some sport bikes, and only been about a decade on cruiser's, when I brake it tends to be late and hard. The original brakes worked, but were never really confidence inspiring. I have swapped to the Brembo sintered pads, and even though they are still breaking in, and require a fair bit of heat to really work good, I am much happier with the way they feel and are preforming.

·
Registered
340 Posts
much better than my '07 883 sportster single disc brakes. plus the added safety of anti-lock. not to mention the bobber is around 60 lbs lighter in weight too!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Isn't it interesting to read back through this complete thread again and realise that all those who are happy with the brakes are those who have previously ridden Harleys and those who are unhappy are those who have previously ridden sports or performance bikes!

As Einstein so eloquently put it "All things are relative"

·
Registered
134 Posts
Strangely enough I came from an R6 twin brembo brakes to a single disc set up from triumph and I was still riding it like my R6 shooting though brake pads every 2500 miles hah! Since then I upgraded to the Brembo pads and it made a slight difference I just ride completely different now

·
Registered
630 Posts
A vice like grip is definitely required to stop it quickly but my last bike was a HD48 so no complaints from me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't have any problem with the stock brakes, but having said that - I wouldn't mind a bit more stopping power requiring less effort.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Stock brakes work but need a Gorrilla vice like grip to stop quickly, too much effort & not enough progressive feel for me.
So changed to free spirits brembo calipers & discs, much improved all round, but discs are visually a little large. :(
I did the same. The stock single disc front is garbage unless you are coming from something with equally poor brakes. Sintered pads help, but you still have that wooden feel. With the Brembo four pot its hardly any effort to stop quickly.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts