Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see the Fonz’s Triumph that featured in Happy Days and ridden by Henry Winkler, who played mechanic Arthur ‘The Fonz’ Fonzarelli has been sold for £135,000 at auction.

It’s a 1949 Trophy TR500 that was provided by Bud Ekins (Steve McQueen’s mate) who swapped the handlebars and removed the mudguard.

·
Registered
359 Posts
awesome! here's some photos i was able to find online.

really brings back memories of the show.

one of the stories i remember hearing was early on in the shows production during the first few episodes, henry winkler was allowed to wear his leather jacket only in scenes where it also had his motorcycle in it. guess, maybe producers thought that the leather jacket being worn in non-riding atmosphere might indicate gang affiliation or something. anyways, they then purposely planned it that every early scene with the fonz always had his bike in it so that he would always have his signature jacket.

oh, funny side story, my sister back in the day (when she was like in the third grade) had a huge crush on henry, and she wrote him a fan letter. turns out, she did receive an autographed photo and nice letter of appreciation back from him. i remember he signed it, "knock your socks off," - henry winkler

i've talked to people that have met him in l.a. and one of my friends (who works at a bowling alley), got a chance to meet henry recently at a fundraising event at the alley, and he said he's the nicest guy! pretty cool.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,573 Posts
Thanks for sharing,

Yes loads of memories of this show. I recall as a kid buying my first ever bike because I thought it looked like Fonz's bike (I knew 'nothing' about bikes). It was a cute little Honda CM200, peanut tank, low seat and hight bars. I still remember the day I first saw it in the showroom. What young man wouldn't want to be like 'The Fonz'...so cool. Wait a minuet... I think I still do..:surprise:

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice story indeed djdannygunz. I had the nickname Fonz at that time but it was because I was the only one who road a motorbike where I worked. The early episodes of Happy Days were the best.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I was very disappointed to find out he was scared to death of bikes , just rode in that opening scene , and crashed into a bunch of garbage cans at the end of that take. Loved the show as a boy though.

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
I recall very little about the show, perhaps to young at the time or doing other things while it was on.

I remember the jacket, the white t-shirt, and the "come into my office..." ie - the bathroom....

That's about it...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts