Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 450 km and has already been turned off 6 times. It happens when you are standing after climbing and pulling the clutch almost firmly. If I keep the gas open, it does not turn off.

It does not happen if I'm stopped, but only if I'm going to stop it

(sorry for my bad english)

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
After 450 km and has already been turned off 6 times. It happens when you are standing after climbing and pulling the clutch almost firmly. If I keep the gas open, it does not turn off.

It does not happen if I'm stopped, but only if I'm going to stop it

(sorry for my bad english)
That is NOT RIGHT at all and should be looked at by the dealer as soon as possible.
It may be something as simple as a faulty/unsteady idle...BUT it should not be happening!
The bike may have stored some fault codes too, so this might give the dealer an indication as to whats happening.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is NOT RIGHT at all and should be looked at by the dealer as soon as possible.
It may be something as simple as a faulty/unsteady idle...BUT it should not be happening!
The bike may have stored some fault codes too, so this might give the dealer an indication as to whats happening.

It is my intention to examine the problem at the service of 800 km

In any case it is dangerous because it is possible to fall if it goes off at low speeds

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
It is my intention to examine the problem at the service of 800 km

In any case it is dangerous because it is possible to fall if it goes off at low speeds
I can´t stress this enough: Do not wait until the service.
It is a dangerous problem which occured on one of my BMW´s.
In the end a software update fixed the problem but you DON´T want the bike stalling when you least expect it (or ever, for that matter..!!)

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Just a thought...
Does Switzerland have stricter emissions laws compared to the rest of Europe??
State of tune or mapping may vary with bikes coming into Switzerland and there may be a some error if its using a unique or new map.

Just thinking out loud - i may be completely wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
have you called the dealer and mentioned it to them? Agree with the others, need to get that in to the shop ASAP. If it needs a re-map it shouldn't take long at all, and taking that little time could save you a lot of headache.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
have you called the dealer and mentioned it to them? Agree with the others, need to get that in to the shop ASAP. If it needs a re-map it shouldn't take long at all, and taking that little time could save you a lot of headache.

I explained and told me that it was already with other Triumph models and that was solved with software updates.
I do not think I'm the only one having this problem with the Bobber

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
It's the 1st serious issue that I have heard of thus far (the fuel gauge thing is annoying but not a safety issue), but I am sure there are a lot more owners out there than on the forums.

So you going to get it there as soon as possible for them to update the software? I imagine it won't cost you any money and then you can ride without the threat of it stalling.....

·
Registered
286 Posts
I agree with the others and wouldn't wait at all to get that dealt with. You shouldn't have to pay for it and I doubt you will. But get it there asap as it's a huge safety concern and putting yourself at jeopardy isn't worth it.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Gila, Have you checked your clutch adjustment, there should only be 1-2 mm free play at the lever! Does the clutch drag?

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Educate me on why the clutch adjustment could cause the engine to stall? I would think that if the clutch was involved there would be some jerking of the tranny then stall rather than the motor just cutting off. It's a serious question cause I'd like to learn how this adjustment could cause this. I get of it wasn't allowing the clutch to engage or disengage disrupting the trans then causing stall but not the other.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I am working off the premise that he has limited English skills and does mention the clutch in what maybe a less then technically accurate description of the problem. The stalling problem that everyone mentions was fixed with a re-map,... was corrected long before the first Bobber was built so it is not that exact same problem. Everyone is jumping to the conclusion that this is an easy fix, the problem has not been reported before at least to my knowledge, not on a 2017 Triumph. Having a clutch drag on an idling engine will most surely stall it!

It takes 5 seconds to check and eliminate it from the equation!

To Date I believe there are 2 Bobber maps, one for stock, one for the US spec Vance & Hines. There is no magic map to fix this problem! At least not yet!

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Yeah, the issue is a new one. If the clutch was dragging wouldn't there be some surging or lerching?

Original Poster - does the motor just die or is there more to it?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Yeah, the issue is a new one. If the clutch was dragging wouldn't there be some surging or lerching?

Original Poster - does the motor just die or is there more to it?
The original post is 4 sentences of broken English. I am just trying to eliminate the simple things first!

·
Registered
423 Posts
I am working off the premise that he has limited English skills and does mention the clutch in what maybe a less then technically accurate description of the problem. The stalling problem that everyone mentions was fixed with a re-map,... was corrected long before the first Bobber was built so it is not that exact same problem. Everyone is jumping to the conclusion that this is an easy fix, the problem has not been reported before at least to my knowledge, not on a 2017 Triumph. Having a clutch drag on an idling engine will most surely stall it!

It takes 5 seconds to check and eliminate it from the equation!

To Date I believe there are 2 Bobber maps, one for stock, one for the US spec Vance & Hines. There is no magic map to fix this problem! At least not yet!
I agree with BOBBYP! Mine stalled the other day while coasting to a stop in a parking lot. My first check was the clutch lever....found the adjustment loose at about 5-6mm. Adjusted and tried to replicate...nothing so far. My opinion is the cable adjuster needs a finer thread!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm in full support of everyone on this as well. I'm not a mechanic, but thats a serious situation. It may not be a serious problem, or a complicated fix, but definitely not a good situation. I would get it in ASAP and demand immediate attention.

Walk

·
Registered
13 Posts
This same thing happened to me for the first time last night. Low revs going around a corner in 1st. It wasn't a stall ... it just turned off. Going for first service today so will discuss with dealer and update when I have some more info.

The bike has seemed to run differently since I hit 500 km. A bit jerky in low gears in traffic and exhaust sound almost like the fuel mixture is off. Hoping this will be different after a few tweaks!

Love this bike :)

1 - 20 of 130 Posts