Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I did a 400km round trip on my BB, it was 32 degrees. Today it is 35 degrees.
Whenever I go out for a ride I always have the same argument with myself about what I should wear. Yesterday was a long trip so I donned jeans, casual riding boots needing socks, mesh jacket with armour, gloves and my Shoei helmet. Today I'm tempted to go in t-shirt, jeans, plimsols amd my cheap and cheerful open face with sun glasses.
I have to remember that Thailand is officially now the most dangerous place to drive/ride in the world and I shouldn't let my heart rule my head. But..it's so dammed hot all geared up and great just to jump on and not be all covered up.
What do you guys do when it's hot. Always safety first or do you let the heart rule the head??

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
I am also guilty of not wearing ATGATT during the summer months. It’s simply too hot (circa 40°c). I normally wear a mesh jacket (Rukka), breathable/perforated riding boots or CE rated sneakers and gloves. But stick with light jeans or shorts.
And I also carry a spare T-shirts as I can’t stand being wet from sweat when I reach wherever I’m going.

I think we have to strike a balance between comfort and relative safety while understanding the consequences of not donning full gear all the time. For instance I would never ride in flip flops like some riders here do. But who am I to judge when I’m riding around in shorts (albeit with protected feet)!
Having the right gear for the climate is super important in order to maximize airflow and decrease body temperature - as is hydration to keep you focused & sharp.

I respect those who wear full gear all the time & deep down knows it’s the only way we should be setting off before each ride.
However my personal choice and preferred gear during the hottest months is as stated above.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guilty of wearing flip flops on my Vespa but never never ever on motorbikes. T-shirt, shorts, slip on loafers and no helmet , guilty on local rides when not going near a town. However, the fine here for no helmet is about £5 and carry on so not a biggy. That's only on Police helmet days though. Gotta love Thailand.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Guilty of wearing flip flops on my Vespa but never never ever on motorbikes. T-shirt, shorts, slip on loafers and no helmet , guilty on local rides when not going near a town. However, the fine here for no helmet is about £5 and carry on so not a biggy. That's only on Police helmet days though. Gotta love Thailand.
I never ride with shorts (or flip-flops!! :surprise: but used to ride t-shirts, jeans and occasionally, hi top sneakers. But, no more. Now, it’s ATTGAT (an acronym for keeping the peace in my household >:) and because the Northwest is generally moderate, really high temps aren’t an issue. But, in my rides down to California, there have been times when I wish I was in that old outfit. Then again, with heat/sweat dispersing base layer (either moto specific or Uniqlo) and a quality mesh jacket (Rev’it), it all works. My Shoei 1200RF vents pretty well but, being a full face, it still gets warm. So, more than occasional stops to hydrate.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I might . . . underline might . . . occasionally ride in a 3/4 helmet. Everything else is always full gear - pants, armored jacket, gloves.

I had a good friend who was in the Far East on business. Over a free weekend he decided to rent a bike and see the sites. He didn't rent a helmet. He was in a relatively minor accident and died from head injuries.

Didn't mean to come off sounding like a namby pamby but I like to be careful. :|

·
Super Moderator
826 Posts
I've ridden up to about 38 in full leathers with a full face, most notably the Norge back up through Italy... Biggest issue was visor up? visor down? alternated every minute or so. Too dusty open, too hot shut, and the old RF wouldn't stay at a good angle.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
To me a helmet is a 100% necessity.
Even when in Greece and Thailand I use one and can’t imagine riding without.
Be it 3/4 or FF, I usually travel with my own one as it’ll have comms built in and only smell of “me” :)
Same goes for gloves. No way I could put on a rental/used pair.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
I might . . . underline might . . . occasionally ride in a 3/4 helmet. Everything else is always full gear - pants, armored jacket, gloves.

I had a good friend who was in the Far East on business. Over a free weekend he decided to rent a bike and see the sites. He didn't rent a helmet. He was in a relatively minor accident and died from head injuries.

Didn't mean to come off sounding like a namby pamby but I like to be careful. :|
I'm sorry for your loss, sir. How sad that one little mistake (not renting a helmet) cost him his life. Sad, but a great lesson for the rest of us.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
This year was very hot in the U.K.... up to 35+ degrees on some days. I wore a leather jacket with armour and t-shirt underneath, jeans with Kevlar leggings and armour underneath, leather boots and gloves and a full face helmet. I honestly didn’t have an issue but I appreciate we all have different thresholds!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
This year was very hot in the U.K.... up to 35+ degrees on some days. I wore a leather jacket with armour and t-shirt underneath, jeans with Kevlar leggings and armour underneath, leather boots and gloves and a full face helmet. I honestly didn’t have an issue but I appreciate we all have different thresholds!
Agree we all have different heat/cold thresholds. What I don’t think we have is different head
damage thresholds. But, each to his own level of risk taking. For me, really well designed, quality equipment significantly helps mitigate any of the inconveniences of protective gear.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Frankly, I hate riding in heavy traffic. Highly congested 4 lane Interstates present its own dangers. The common denominator is the other driver's lack of awareness or even caring. In the US - you can be found guilty of negligently killing a motorcyclist and fined $500 - no jail time. I believe in the proper gear, but "ATGATT" means something different to each person.

Speaking only for me and my needs - a helmet is a must, but can be a half helmet, a 3/4, or full. I personally wear a half helmet most of the time, and a 3/4 on overnight trips. Mainly for the face shield. Heavy rain sucks with only sunglasses.

Boots are my preferred choice in any weather. They don't have to be motorcycle only boots, and do not have to go up the calf. My favorite pair are made of leather and canvas and only cover the ankles. I may slip on sneakers for a short trip down the street for convenience. I would never wear sandals or flip flops.

Gloves are a must. In summer, perforated leather or even finger-less are fine. Cool weather, i like gauntlets that provide warmth.

In heat, I prefer either jeans, or some sort of MC pants with a bit of Kevlar fabric. Never shorts. I don't use armor padding. In cool weather, I use flannel lined jeans, or a wind/water proof lightly insulated pants.

That's not to say, that the few times I have attended Sturgis (MC rally), I did ride Montana, Wyoming, and South Dakota with only a bandana at 80/90 mph for long stretches. It's something you should do at least once in life to experience it.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Yesterday I did a 400km round trip on my BB, it was 32 degrees. Today it is 35 degrees.
Whenever I go out for a ride I always have the same argument with myself about what I should wear. Yesterday was a long trip so I donned jeans, casual riding boots needing socks, mesh jacket with armour, gloves and my Shoei helmet. Today I'm tempted to go in t-shirt, jeans, plimsols amd my cheap and cheerful open face with sun glasses.
I have to remember that Thailand is officially now the most dangerous place to drive/ride in the world and I shouldn't let my heart rule my head. But..it's so dammed hot all geared up and great just to jump on and not be all covered up.
What do you guys do when it's hot. Always safety first or do you let the heart rule the head??
When I first read your post I thought you were absolutely nuts......Then I realized you meant 32C! That is the difference between 32 and 90 here!!!>:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts